Pages: 1

Thayer
Retro All The Way!
Reged: 02/19/17
Send PM

Newbie help for Clrmamepro
#363669 - 02/19/17 05:58 AM

Hello.

I have what I thought was a complete set of MAME 172 roms (it is about 52 gigs). I followed guides I could find for clrmamepro and created a datfile from the MAME 172 binary. I ensured all paths are correct and did my initial scan. Everything seems to work but when all is said and done I don't get a status window popping up showing what roms/sets I am missing, and when I generate a "MAME 172_have" txt file it says " You have 0 of 0 known MAME 172 sets (+ BIOS sets)". Yet it takes minutes to scan everything and even moves some roms to the backup folder as I assume those ones are corrupt or wrong in some way.

Again I am sure I have set up the paths correctly and I am going through the steps carefully from multiple tutorials I have seen online. I am not trying to fix or rebuild at this point just trying to do an initial scan to see what I need from my current set.

Any help is appreciated. Sorry if I am not giving enough info but I think there is just one step I am missing.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: Newbie help for Clrmamepro new [Re: Thayer]
#363670 - 02/19/17 06:14 AM

There's no need to create a datfile when you can simply import the MAME binary into Clrmamepro.

I will assume here your set is tzip/split because of it's size and at what version you're coming from.

So your options are importing MAME 0.172 into CMP and preform a scan/fix on your set if you want to stay at 0.172. Anything you miss will show up in the statistics window.

If you want to upgrade to the latest release then simply import the latest release into Clrmamepro.

Thayer
Retro All The Way!
Send PM

Re: Newbie help for Clrmamepro new [Re: B2K24]
#363671 - 02/19/17 06:42 AM

Thanks for the reply.

> There's no need to create a datfile when you can simply import the MAME binary into
> Clrmamepro.

This is exactly what I did.

> I will assume here your set is tzip/split because of it's size and at what version
> you're coming from.

I am not sure of this terminology. I have it marked as "Split sets" in the scanner options but not sure what tzip is?

> So your options are importing MAME 0.172 into CMP and preform a scan/fix on your set
> if you want to stay at 0.172. Anything you miss will show up in the statistics
> window.

The thing is after the scan I get a statistics window but it is confusing as it says:
Missing
·Sets 0/0
·ROMs 0/0
·CHDs 0/0
·Samples 0/0
·Bytes 0/0

so it looks like it doesn't find anything? But it scans the huge pile of roms that are in the folder.

Just tried again and this time didn't have clrmamepro include the software lists and it seems to be scanning correctly. Would that have been my error?

Edited by Thayer (02/19/17 06:47 AM)

B2K24
Send PM

#363673 - 02/19/17 06:53 AM

In the Clrmamepro profiler you have to use Create option.
On the Filename line you browse to MAME executable. For description you can type anything there then create the profile followed by clicking OK

Once it's available in profile you can Double-click to load it.

Access settings and under ROM-Paths, add exact path to all your ROMs

After that go to scanner and make sure all fix options are checked and hit new scan.

If after this you're still stuck just search specific things on youtube. There's probably a few videos that show you how to get it all going.

Roman
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Send PM

#363674 - 02/19/17 10:03 AM

Profiler->Create, use your MAME binary to get the data from, not a standalone dat
Settings->Setup rompath (and sample paths if you like)
Scanner->Choose your prefered merge mode and hit scan

The scan results tree window is all you have to care about, not the final stats screen. It shows in detail what is wrong with your collection. To fix the problems, enable the fix options.

If the statistic screen shows something like 0/0, you either haven't loaded a correct dataset or disabled all sets yourself.

Thayer
Retro All The Way!
Send PM

Re: Newbie help for Clrmamepro new [Re: B2K24]
#363681 - 02/19/17 06:42 PM

Thanks for the help. I found out my problem. When I first created the dat file (from the mame binary) when I was asked to include the software lists I choose yes and was having the above mentioned problem. I deleted that profile and started over this time choosing no for software lists and it seems to work.

So this begs the question how can I get a scan to work when including the software lists. I am following your directions above exactly and have not disabled anything but when software lists are included I can't get a scan to work. When they are not included it scans fine.

Roman
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Send PM

#363685 - 02/19/17 09:53 PM

There are 2 ways to scan software lists.
The easy one is the separate one, i.e. you simply have different profiles for each software list. So you simply drag'n drop the files (or a subset of it) from MAME's hash folder into the profiler. Setup a rompath for it, scan...

The hard way is the combined one. In this case you answer "yes" after the general import (as you did) when you're asked to include software lists. Then you have to setup rompaths and assign unique (!) rompaths to each imported software lists. This can be done in the "systems" dialog which is accessible from the scanner/rebuilder/merger.

B2K24
Send PM

#363686 - 02/19/17 10:24 PM

> Thanks for the help. I found out my problem. When I first created the dat file (from
> the mame binary) when I was asked to include the software lists I choose yes and was
> having the above mentioned problem. I deleted that profile and started over this time
> choosing no for software lists and it seems to work.
>
> So this begs the question how can I get a scan to work when including the software
> lists. I am following your directions above exactly and have not disabled anything
> but when software lists are included I can't get a scan to work. When they are not
> included it scans fine.

As Roman says the easy way is to use Clrmamepro's batch mode which is a completely different process than importing the MAME binary and preforming a simple scan/fix all.

I'll C&P a guide here from a popular ROM site that I wrote about 5 years ago. Hopefully it will help you in getting started

I changed MESS to MAME here to avoid confusion, but you might see MESS in some of the pics.

Also, some options of the batchmode screens have been changed, but overall it's the exact same process. Once you get familiar with it, it's really simple.

Don't let all the options and different windows intimidate you, it's actually pretty simple

------------------------------------------------------------

First lets open Clrmame with an empty profiler and we can add all of the MAME Software Lists XMLs in just 1 simple step.

Click the Add DatFile option then make sure all of the XMLs are selected and after that click Open.

http://imgur.com/a/JxMtk

Clrmame will ask what folder you want the Dat files in, so in this instance you want the directory name to exactly match where all the software lists directories are stored on your computer. In my case they are in location J:\MAME\roms for use with MAME emulation and ease of use from running from the Command Line.

So in my case I would create the folder roms

http://imgur.com/a/zDXlE

Now you will see all of the XMLs in the NEW DATFILES category. Click on the first one at the top then hold down shift key while scrolling down and clicking on the very last one which will select all of them. (CTLR + A) is easier as well.

http://imgur.com/a/QZLAz

With everything selected we need to right click and select option Load Profile(s) in BatchMode...

http://imgur.com/a/yBDTX

Profile Batchrun (BatchMode) has 3 simple tabs that certain options need to be set for everything to function correctly.

The first tab is marked Scanner and I have the options set like the picture below this text.

http://imgur.com/a/TYiIs

The next tab is Rebuilder which is completely optional and only useful if you are able to rebuild files that you currently miss according to the Scanner auditing.

It's best to select No Rebuilder Run the first time starting out and if you are following this guide because the 1st RomPath has NOT been established yet and it's only added after all the scanning takes place and finishes.

http://imgur.com/a/XTIFA

The third and last tab is labeled Misc

Now as talked about earlier with naming the folder of Dat files roms. On this wonderful tab there is an option called Create rompath for new dat (specify root folder)

Browse to the location of the directory where ALL your Software Lists directories are stored at. As said before in my case it's J:\MAME\

http://imgur.com/a/d9tC2

While all the scanning is taking place depending on the system that is being scanned, if you encounter a Dat file problem like the one in the pic below then it's best to choose No To All since at the time of this writing the Software List torrent is Split/Tzip

http://imgur.com/a/zTsat

Once the scanning has completed you should see a very nice result in your Clrmame profiler. If you happen to miss a bunch you have the option of selecting those specific profiles and doing a Batch rebuilder run etc.

http://imgur.com/a/1ChzF

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 313 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2930