MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

MAME Plus forum vote
#363070 - 01/30/17 12:38 AM

Apparently the MAME Plus project has been dead for over a year now.

Should we delete the MAME Plus forum?
Yes
No

View the results for this poll

casm
Cinematronics > *
Reged: 08/27/07
Send PM

Re: MAME Plus forum vote new [Re: Smitdogg]
#363071 - 01/30/17 03:10 AM

Voted no, but with the caveat that locking the forum or requiring moderator approval for all new posts may be a good idea for the foreseeable future (along with a sticky detailing why this happening). This would give the project a chance to get back to releasing updates while preserving whatever useful info might be contained within the forum.

To be perfectly honest, though, I can't recall ever using MAME Plus, and have no real attachment to the emulator. But I can see where having the forum posts available may be of benefit to someone who is looking for info regarding an issue they're running up against or similar.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: MAME Plus forum vote new [Re: casm]
#363072 - 01/30/17 03:17 AM

I could say the same thing for every dead mame project but chances are they aren't coming back. The bigger the forum database is the slower it is and the more junk to scroll through. I can see the point in keeping dead projects on the main site but not the forum if it's slowing down the database and making me scroll through a graveyard several times a day for no reason. I imagine relative Q&A would repopulate itself fast enough if they pick the project back up. It would be welcome back.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: MAME Plus forum vote new [Re: casm]
#363073 - 01/30/17 03:18 AM

> Voted no, but with the caveat that locking the forum or requiring moderator approval
> for all new posts may be a good idea for the foreseeable future (along with a sticky
> detailing why this happening). This would give the project a chance to get back to
> releasing updates while preserving whatever useful info might be contained within the
> forum.
>
> To be perfectly honest, though, I can't recall ever using MAME Plus, and have no real
> attachment to the emulator. But I can see where having the forum posts available may
> be of benefit to someone who is looking for info regarding an issue they're running
> up against or similar.

in it's day it was the most popular of the approved MAME derivatives, offering may features users were interested in that weren't available in the main builds, for example the graphical filters, and was the main place such code was maintained.

these days it's pretty much irrelevant tho. as with many other forks, the cost of maintaining it became too high, bugs crept in, and the general failings of MAMEUI on which it was originally based started to become apparent.

unfortunately, due to being the most popular, it was also the base of a lot of other builds that just wanted to shit all over the project, which probably wasn't the most motivating factor.

I don't really think there's much point in keeping the forum at this point. I think it's been 'dead' for a fair bit longer than a year in the sense that none of the later releases they put out even worked properly.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

Re: MAME Plus forum vote new [Re: Smitdogg]
#363082 - 01/30/17 05:19 AM

> I could say the same thing for every dead mame project but chances are they aren't
> coming back. The bigger the forum database is the slower it is and the more junk to
> scroll through. I can see the point in keeping dead projects on the main site but not
> the forum if it's slowing down the database and making me scroll through a graveyard
> several times a day for no reason. I imagine relative Q&A would repopulate itself
> fast enough if they pick the project back up. It would be welcome back.

Is there any way to host the forum content elsewhere? Like a read only, text only board? I dunno if that's possible, but a project I used to be a part of did that for posterity's sake.

I voted no to deletion, but understand the database concerns.

Maybe host a backup at Internet Archive or something?

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: MAME Plus forum vote new [Re: Foxhack]
#363083 - 01/30/17 05:20 AM

It's a nayno to all the above

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

nvm new [Re: Smitdogg]
#363131 - 02/01/17 11:58 AM

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: MAME Plus forum vote new [Re: Robbbert]
#363133 - 02/01/17 03:07 PM

Clearly it's already gone

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 413 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1530