View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

Locating MAME device romsets
#362139 - 01/02/17 05:29 AM

Yes, the easy answer is "grab a ROM manager" or "get the whole romset"... even "use DOSBox", but lately this have been bothering me for a while.

Let's say I have my ROMs 7z merged, however I'd like to take a few systems with me in a portable USB stick. Playstation was easy because all I had to do was trying to run it and then found out not only you need the bios (psj.7z) but also the CD-ROM device ROMs (psx_cd.7z).

But then I tried to take the whole IBM 7150 set with me (ibm5170.7z) and hell break loose. First MAME reported I was missing "at_keybc.7z", no problem I copied the file. Then I found MAME was missing "ms_natural.7z", no problem either. Then I found out I was missing "et4000.7z". Every time I'm trying to know which ROMs I do need, it only reports one at once. The problem doesn't end there, if I follow the procedure I'll eventually make the system run... as long as I don't change device slots because MAME is demanding more ROMs again. So basically I have to try every clone (i.e. at486) and every slot device until I find out every ROM needed. I tried -verifyroms, -listroms, -listdevices, -listxml, -listclones and if they didn't get the info I was looking for, there was too much information I'm not sure where to start. I tried the at.cpp file but not mention of the ROMs needed either. There are a ton of devices that if they don't need ROMs then they load them from separate files. Is there an easier way to know which files do I need?

Taking advantage of the topic I've see seen screenshots running Windows 95 and even Unreal on MAME, yet I have trouble displaying 256 colors on Win 3.11. Because if icons in Windows aren't glitched, when I hold the mouse button graphics get screwed up. Do you have any recommended graphic adapter and 7150 clone for such tasks?

For last I would like to mention a GUI bug when using softlists. On "File Manager" if you choose items with multiple media and then select "Reset", the system loads the first item. If for example you load a PC98 game with DISK B and DISK E on flop1 and flop2 respectively, when resetting the system then it loads DISK A for both drives.

EDIT: I correct myself, it shows all files needed before running. But still if I change say the graphic adapter, it asks for not listed ROMs.

Edited by BIOS-D (01/02/17 05:52 AM)

Osso1
Reged: 10/17/04
Send PM

Re: Locating MAME device romsets new [Re: BIOS-D]
#362141 - 01/02/17 09:11 AM

Using ProgettoEMMa, checking the "Slot options" under "Tech Info" should give you what you need, if I understand it correctly.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

Re: Locating MAME device romsets new [Re: Osso1]
#362157 - 01/02/17 05:55 PM

Mhh, not quite. For instance if I want to safely run at486 I need:

aha1542.7z
ap2000.7z
at_keybc.7z
cga.7z
clgd542x.7z
comx_pl80.7z
dectalk_isa.7z
dms3d2kp.7z
dm_clgd5430.7z
ega.7z
et4000.7z
ex800.7z
fdc344.7z
fdcmag.7z
gfxultra.7z
gfxultrp.7z
hdc.7z
ibm5170.7z
ibm_mfc.7z
ibm_vga.7z
isa_hercules.7z
isa_ibm_mda.7z
isa_ibm_pgc.7z
kb_3270pc.7z
kb_pcat84.7z
keytronic_pc3270.7z
lx800.7z
lx810l.7z
mach64.7z
mpu401.7z
ms_natural.7z
p72.7z
s3virge.7z
s3virgedx.7z
s3_764.7z
sb16.7z
side116.7z
stereo_fx.7z
tgui9680.7z
upd7220.7z
wyse700.7z

It took half an hour to test every device so I know what do I need. Not sure if I would need other devices for different 5170 clones, but I suppose I will find out later. ProgettoEMMa only lists the default devices needed, not all the possible needed ones.

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Alien from Terra Prime... and Brazil
Send PM

Re: Locating MAME device romsets new [Re: BIOS-D]
#362159 - 01/02/17 06:14 PM Attachment: emuloader-groupedview-require-device-sets.png 330 KB (0 downloads)

IBM/AT 51570 and all of its clones require dozens of device sets.

You will not find any MAME tool that will give you what you're looking for. List all device/bios sets required for parent set+clone sets.
But this is a nice idea. I could implement that in my frontend.

1. select a parent sets that has clone sets
2. click "Search all required .zip files for parent set + clone sets (device/bios/CHDs)"
3. the frontend would show a list of all .zip filenames required for each set
4. perhaps add an option to copy files to an external HDD or something ???

I like this idea!

You can try a frontend that shows grouped view and then go thru the parent set, get all the device sets/bios sets it needs, then go thru all its clone sets and get all sets it needs.

That's the only way.
Using my frontend, this is somewhat easier to do. I'm sure other frontend that show games in groups (parent+clones) can help you do the same.

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Edited by CiroConsentino (01/02/17 06:24 PM)

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino
home: http://emuloader.mameworld.info
e-mail: [email protected]

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 358 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1477