View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Renegade
Got No Where Else to Go
Reged: 10/01/03
Send PM

suggest a good ps1 emulator?
#360918 - 12/05/16 05:55 AM

Can one of you gents suggest a good ps1 emulator for win10?

I have a bunch of u.s. versions but I want to play panzer front and I really don't wanna buy a Japanese ps1 to play one game.

From what I understand ( which is limited) I can just change the bios thru the emulator. Then I can play any version game iso.

Thanks!

Only here to annoy...

abelenki
Super Drunk
Reged: 10/20/03
Loc: Perm, Russia
Send PM

Re: suggest a good ps1 emulator? new [Re: Renegade]
#360919 - 12/05/16 06:01 AM

> Can one of you gents suggest a good ps1 emulator for win10?

MAME.

MAME Stuff | MAME favorites | Bubble Bobble Series chart / wiki | PC configuration

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Alien from Terra Prime... and Brazil
Send PM

#360926 - 12/05/16 12:23 PM

ePSXe is my first choice. it's an awesome PS1 emulator.
PCSX is good too.

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino
home: http://emuloader.mameworld.info
e-mail: [email protected]

Ashura-X
MAME Compiler!
Reged: 01/22/04
Send PM

#360928 - 12/05/16 02:28 PM

XEBRA/ARBEX!
http://drhell.web.fc2.com/ps1/

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Reged: 07/13/10
Loc: Macedonia,Veles
Send PM

Re: suggest a good ps1 emulator? new [Re: CiroConsentino]
#360929 - 12/05/16 05:32 PM

> ePSXe is my first choice. it's an awesome PS1 emulator.

^+1
Everything I tried - worked 100% !

Shoegazr
Rockstar
Reged: 01/21/06
Send PM

#360931 - 12/05/16 07:03 PM

> Can one of you gents suggest a good ps1 emulator for win10?
>
> I have a bunch of u.s. versions but I want to play panzer front and I really don't
> wanna buy a Japanese ps1 to play one game.
>
> From what I understand ( which is limited) I can just change the bios thru the
> emulator. Then I can play any version game iso.
>
> Thanks!

Mednafen.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#360932 - 12/05/16 07:24 PM

Most PSX games are fully playable with MAME, and you get to keep your existing GLSL/HLSL/BGFX setup.

Sthiryu
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/09/16
Send PM

#360935 - 12/05/16 07:47 PM

Epsxe is, by far, the best ps1 emulator for me:

-Getting updates very often.
-Low computer requirements.
-You can improve graphics with the plugins.
-It can play redump isos perfectly
-And it's spanish

RETRODANUART.COM

remax
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/12
Send PM

Re: suggest a good ps1 emulator? new [Re: Sthiryu]
#360938 - 12/05/16 08:19 PM

> -It can play redump isos perfectly

Would be great if Mame supported SBI files in a way... (either at CHD generation or directly).

Edited by remax (12/05/16 08:20 PM)

anikom15
Instigator/Local CRT Guru
Reged: 04/11/16
Send PM

#360951 - 12/05/16 11:34 PM

MAME works quite well actually. I'd argue it's ready to be yellow.

But for everything else, Mednafen is supposedly pretty accurate.

AntoPISA
MAME Snapper
Reged: 09/15/08
Loc: Pisa, Italy
Send PM

Re: suggest a good ps1 emulator? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#360985 - 12/06/16 12:05 PM

Quote:

Most PSX games are fully playable with MAME, and you get to keep your existing GLSL/HLSL/BGFX setup.

In my next update of MAME resources there will also PSX video to prove it.

Site: https://www.progettosnaps.net/
Board: progetto-SNAPS Official Board
Twitter: @progettosnaps

AntoPISA
MAME Snapper
Reged: 09/15/08
Loc: Pisa, Italy
Send PM

Re: suggest a good ps1 emulator? new [Re: AntoPISA]
#360986 - 12/06/16 12:18 PM

About PSX games I do own more than a hundred missing from the software list (PAL Europe version); if I create the CHD could be added to the list; who does this?

Site: https://www.progettosnaps.net/
Board: progetto-SNAPS Official Board
Twitter: @progettosnaps

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Send PM

#360987 - 12/06/16 12:37 PM

Yes but MAME doesn't do D3D or OpenGL rendering like ePSXe does.

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

#360991 - 12/06/16 04:56 PM

> About PSX games I do own more than a hundred missing from the software list (PAL
> Europe version); if I create the CHD could be added to the list; who does this?

I'm not sure, different people tend to maintain different softlists. I'm pretty sure that there are other reasons why the PSX EU softlists haven't been fully filled out yet, though, I'm just not entirely clear on why. So I guess I'm just saying that I would like an answer to your question, too

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: suggest a good ps1 emulator? new [Re: CiroConsentino]
#360992 - 12/06/16 05:01 PM

> One of the things I
> really would like MAME to support for 3D games. Perhaps one day in a distant
> future...

Keep dreaming. I agree that it would look really cool, but rendering a game at a higher internal resolution can and does require a tremendous amounts of hacks, and it can and does cause weird bugs that the emulator then needs to add more hacks to fix in order to prevent people from blaming the emulator or the emulator developers for the bugs, because they don't understand how either the console or the emulator work on a technical level.

> HLSL/GLSL and D3D/OpenGL graphics rendering is not the same thing. Those are special
> effects to make the game image look pretty.

Correct. However, they are in MAME specifically because they don't cost anything, accuracy-wise, to implement. They don't affect the emulation of the games at all, which would not at all be the case for rendering 3D games at higher-than-native resolution.

> Yes, I've asked about this to MAME devs before and got tons of hate replies and was
> told that MAME wouldn't do it because MAME it's all about hardware documentation and
> not to please gamers. "Shut up about it!" they said...

Just because you don't like the answers you were given, and people didn't line up around the block to give you a handy for your insightful suggestion, doesn't make them "hate replies". Maybe cut the victim attitude a little.

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Send PM

Re: suggest a good ps1 emulator? new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#360995 - 12/06/16 06:29 PM

>> Keep dreaming...

I stopped dreaming about it a long long time ago.

>> Just because you don't like the answers you were given, and people didn't line up
>> around the block to give you a handy for your insightful suggestion, doesn't make them
>> "hate replies". Maybe cut the victim attitude a little.

I'm not saying I didn't like the answer. The person who replied was harsh and rude about the subject. It was years ago and I don't even remember who it was. That person might not even be around the MAME scene anymore.
And I wasn't asking for anything, I was simply curious about the possibility.

I was literally told to f.c. off and stop asking about it or I would be banned from the MAME scene... not with these exact words but it was pretty much it.
How would you feel and react if you got an answer like that from a MAME dev ?

Since then I stopped asking and I simply update my frontend for new MAME builds, nothing else. I've been working and improving on my frontend since 1997.

Emu Loader
Ciro Alfredo Consentino

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

#360999 - 12/06/16 07:06 PM

> About PSX games I do own more than a hundred missing from the software list (PAL
> Europe version); if I create the CHD could be added to the list; who does this?

probably not, the existing collections have pretty good coverage of the EU games, it's just a case of getting around to adding them (and finding a way to convert the extra protection information into real sub-data so that it can be used in CHDs, rather than the custom subdata file the other emulators use - EU games typically had protection other regions didn't)

the coverage is bad, because it's a lot of work (and we don't really have a good ROMCMP like tool for comparing the *real* differences between two images to make good assessments which is important because dumpings CDs is something of a voodoo art, different drives give different results)

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: suggest a good ps1 emulator? new [Re: Sthiryu]
#361003 - 12/06/16 08:42 PM

> -It can play redump isos perfectly

Speaking of which, what happened to redump.org? They've been offline for ages.

abelenki
Super Drunk
Send PM

Re: suggest a good ps1 emulator? new [Re: Heihachi_73]
#361004 - 12/06/16 08:48 PM

> Speaking of which, what happened to redump.org? They've been offline for ages.

[abelenki] ********: do you know what's up with http://redump.org/ ?
[abelenki] doesn't work for me, and even via anonymouse
[abelenki] Error - Timeout
[********] down due to hoster's hdd crash
[abelenki]
[abelenki] no backups, lol?
[********] lol, no, there are backups of the db, but it needs to reinstall the server part itself first

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Send PM

Re: suggest a good ps1 emulator? new [Re: abelenki]
#361005 - 12/06/16 08:55 PM

> > Speaking of which, what happened to redump.org? They've been offline for ages.
>
> [abelenki] ********: do you know what's up with http://redump.org/ ?
> [abelenki] doesn't work for me, and even via anonymouse
> [abelenki] Error - Timeout
> [********] down due to hoster's hdd crash
> [abelenki]
> [abelenki] no backups, lol?
> [********] lol, no, there are backups of the db, but it needs to reinstall the server
> part itself first

Ah, so it's not just on my end or the Rabbit-Proof Firewall slowly taking over Australia, that's a relief! I had a shit ton of game hashes on the forums waiting to be verified.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: suggest a good ps1 emulator? new [Re: abelenki]
#361006 - 12/06/16 08:58 PM

I personally use MAME for ps1 gaming and anything MAME can't handle then I break out the real hardware

abelenki
Super Drunk
Send PM

Re: suggest a good ps1 emulator? new [Re: B2K24]
#361007 - 12/06/16 09:09 PM

> I personally use MAME for ps1 gaming and anything MAME can't handle then I break out
> the real hardware

same here. MAME is quite good at PS1 emulation. there's no need in stand-alone PS1 emulators anymore.

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Send PM

Re: suggest a good ps1 emulator? new [Re: B2K24]
#361011 - 12/06/16 09:33 PM

> I personally use MAME for ps1 gaming and anything MAME can't handle then I break out
> the real hardware

Keeping with the topic, I was hooked on pSX for years. The only thing was the sound effects were a bit off in Tekken 3, and Tekken 1 and 2 did not run at all in 1.13, had to use 1.7 instead. I suppose being closed source/binary-only was the killer for that project, as is the case for a lot of closed source emulators. The PSEmu plugin system was the reason I dropped ePSXe many years ago, the fake HD graphics just didn't do it for me, same with N64 emulators.

pSX will also continue to remain my choice on the old PCs when I'm not using a real console instead, since with MAME dropping support for older video cards it makes games later than Street Fighter II run like molasses in GDI mode, and OpenGL is far slower (PBO not supported) than the tried and true D3D mode that vanished after 0.179. I suppose by making 99% of P4-era PCs unable to run MAME at a decent speed it lets the project move on and cuts bloat by removing support for "legacy" devices, but what else would a Pentium 4 do in the mid-2010s? They're better off in use than in landfill or using a shitty Raspberry Pi with a hacked 0.3x beta.

anikom15
Send PM

Re: suggest a good ps1 emulator? new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#361020 - 12/06/16 11:15 PM

> > About PSX games I do own more than a hundred missing from the software list (PAL
> > Europe version); if I create the CHD could be added to the list; who does this?
>
> I'm not sure, different people tend to maintain different softlists. I'm pretty sure
> that there are other reasons why the PSX EU softlists haven't been fully filled out
> yet, though, I'm just not entirely clear on why. So I guess I'm just saying that I
> would like an answer to your question, too

I feel like softlists need to get done. I mean if we are always encouraging people to use softlists instead of loading images directly....

CiroConsentino
Frontend freak!
Send PM

Re: suggest a good ps1 emulator? new [Re: anikom15]
#361022 - 12/06/16 11:56 PM

Pretty soon my frontend, Emu Loader, will be able to load custom games that are not listed in softlists.
But first I need to make some changes the EL's core and find a way to make this new feature as painless as possible to implement and to use.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

#361027 - 12/07/16 12:45 AM

I have so far to test emulators on Windows 10, but my three best choices are Mednafen, XEBRA and MAME (in that order). XEBRA tends to be a bit hard to config just like Mednafen, but both prove to run everything MAME doesn't. XEBRA used to be my first choice but I really miss the force feedback support which is something Mednafen does. I can now plug my Dual Shock 3 through USB, load a driver and enjoy of Force Feedback again.

For testing games, MAME is my first choice but some games really don't work well at all. Medal of Honor games have a funny glitch it doesn't load the rest of the scenery after the first module so the game gets road blocked into a void after the first 5 minutes. Siphon Filter is playable until you unlock some door on the first mission, I think the attract demo freezes randomly too. Siphon Filter 2 doesn't work. I could play Tomb Raider demos but the main games lock up at the loading screen, probably because of the CD protection. Crash Bandicoot has a few weird graphic glitches at the intro screen but overall the game is playable. Apart from that most games run fine.

I always hated the PS Emu Pro legacy, plug-in based emulators is the worst it could happen to emulation due to compatibility and testing. Some people love to render their games to the maximum resolution available but I prefer the natural hardware resolution, something that these 3 emulators offer me.

Shoegazr
Rockstar
Reged: 01/21/06
Send PM

Re: suggest a good ps1 emulator? new [Re: BIOS-D]
#361032 - 12/07/16 02:29 AM

> XEBRA used to be my
> first choice but I really miss the force feedback support which is something Mednafen
> does. I can now plug my Dual Shock 3 through USB, load a driver and enjoy of Force
> Feedback again.

Exactly. Rumble is kinda critical to the experience, at least for me. It's just how I played back in the day - plus there are certain games that require or rely heavily upon it to work properly such as Metal Gear Solid. I know not everyone feels this way, but games without rumble are really missing a dimension. I'm using Mednafen and not MAME primarily for this reason.

Haze
Send PM

Re: suggest a good ps1 emulator? new [Re: anikom15]
#361033 - 12/07/16 02:30 AM

> > > About PSX games I do own more than a hundred missing from the software list (PAL
> > > Europe version); if I create the CHD could be added to the list; who does this?
> >
> > I'm not sure, different people tend to maintain different softlists. I'm pretty
> sure
> > that there are other reasons why the PSX EU softlists haven't been fully filled out
> > yet, though, I'm just not entirely clear on why. So I guess I'm just saying that I
> > would like an answer to your question, too
>
> I feel like softlists need to get done. I mean if we are always encouraging people to
> use softlists instead of loading images directly....

to be fair it's only cartridge based systems where people should ONLY be using the Softlist approach and nothing else (or certain extra hardware in carts like backup ram often doesn't get emulated)

for CDs, as long as the CD image is in a suitable format it's a bit less important (as a CD can't contain any extra hardware, it's just a CD) which is why many of the CD lists have focused on rare material instead. There are a few exceptions (a couple of Saturn games which needed a specific cart paired with the CD) but those are rare.

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/06
Send PM

Re: suggest a good ps1 emulator? new [Re: Shoegazr]
#361034 - 12/07/16 02:31 AM

I'm one of those that don't feel that way. I personally HATE!!! rumble & disable it on every game. I've always felt like it was a weak, pathetic way of trying to make something feel more real. A rumbling controller doesn't quite do the job

Haze
Send PM

Re: suggest a good ps1 emulator? new [Re: Envisaged0ne]
#361035 - 12/07/16 02:34 AM

> I'm one of those that don't feel that way. I personally HATE!!! rumble & disable it
> on every game. I've always felt like it was a weak, pathetic way of trying to make
> something feel more real. A rumbling controller doesn't quite do the job

yeah, I know quite a few people who opened up their controllers and cut the wires to the rumble units because they hated it that much

but yes, it is also an important part of the system.

anikom15
Send PM

Re: suggest a good ps1 emulator? new [Re: Haze]
#361037 - 12/07/16 04:18 AM

bug reports tho

Renegade
Got No Where Else to Go
Send PM

ok, using mame then I have another question new [Re: Renegade]
#361039 - 12/07/16 04:59 AM

Ok thought I'd give mame a good on this.

Is there a tutorial somewhere showing how to do this? I tried google and got nothing of help.

I'll be using this on my Dell laptop.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: suggest a good ps1 emulator? new [Re: Shoegazr]
#361040 - 12/07/16 04:59 AM

> Exactly. Rumble is kinda critical to the experience, at least for me. It's just how I
> played back in the day - plus there are certain games that require or rely heavily
> upon it to work properly such as Metal Gear Solid. I know not everyone feels this
> way, but games without rumble are really missing a dimension. I'm using Mednafen and
> not MAME primarily for this reason.

In my experience when I realized I really missed force feedback was when emulating Final Fantasy VIII. Using a GF like Sheeva didn't feel the same. Force Feedback just like that VMU small screen on the Dreamcast can be crucial for some games either for game mechanics or pure nostalgia. The same could be said about linking two systems together or supporting weird peripherals.

I dream for the day MAME could consider an smartphone as an input controller, so you could make use of the camera, microphone, touch screen and tilt sensors for systems that need them. But that's something too far away to consider for now.

anikom15
Send PM

Re: ok, using mame then I have another question new [Re: Renegade]
#361041 - 12/07/16 05:56 AM

> Ok thought I'd give mame a good on this.
>
> Is there a tutorial somewhere showing how to do this? I tried google and got nothing
> of help.
>
> I'll be using this on my Dell laptop.

http://docs.mamedev.org/usingmame/usingmame.html

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: ok, using mame then I have another question new [Re: Renegade]
#361044 - 12/07/16 09:28 AM

OK, I'm confused now. Aren't you the same Renegade who owns this page? Using MAME and its extinct derivative MESS should be trivial by now unless you're referring to something else.

Or maybe you mean which sets do you need. That would be "psx_cd", "psj", "psa", "pse" and of course "psu". Then load for example "mame64.exe psu" on command line and go to File Manager and create your memory card nor load a CHD/CD image (MAME supports cue/bin files and I think .iso too). You can also use parameters -mc1 and -cdrom to load an specific game through command line or use the softlist if you have access to that large set.

Example:

mame64.exe psu -mc1 mcard1.mc -cdrom "MediEvil (USA).cue"

Both "mcard1.mc" and "MediEvil (USA).cue" are located on the same path as MAME.

Renegade
Got No Where Else to Go
Send PM

Re: ok, using mame then I have another question new [Re: BIOS-D]
#361059 - 12/07/16 08:15 PM

> OK, I'm confused now. Aren't you the same Renegade who owns this page? Using MAME and
> its extinct derivative MESS should be trivial by now unless you're referring to
> something else.
>
> Or maybe you mean which sets do you need. That would be "psx_cd", "psj", "psa", "pse"
> and of course "psu". Then load for example "mame64.exe psu" on command line and go to
> File Manager and create your memory card nor load a CHD/CD image (MAME supports
> cue/bin files and I think .iso too). You can also use parameters -mc1 and -cdrom to
> load an specific game through command line or use the softlist if you have access to
> that large set.
>
> Example:
>
> mame64.exe psu -mc1 mcard1.mc -cdrom "MediEvil (USA).cue"
>
> Both "mcard1.mc" and "MediEvil (USA).cue" are located on the same path as MAME.
>

Yes and yes, I played only on the arcade side, never played with mess or the new mess side of mame. I wasn't sure of all the command line parameters needed. Which you have nicely provided and is greatly appreciated !

Most home gaming consoles I own so I play those so there really hasn't been a need to run mame/mess on that side of things. This is all new to me

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 327 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3236