View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

samslack
MAME Fan
Reged: 12/03/16
Send PM

IPac 4 key assignment issue
#360878 - 12/03/16 07:51 AM

Just got my Ipac 4 installed and I am mapping just simple keys asdf etc...

Im using win 10 box to run the programming utility. I have make all my selections when I test something I programed say as to issue a keyboard number 5 in the test it hits 51 Then I will assign another to say J when i test it just in notepad it doesnt input a J but other buttons do. I ohmed out all my connections and all microswitches are new and check out normal. I even ohmed from gnd to each while actuating all of the switches and they all are connected correctly. I even bypassed all my wiring and contacted quickly the contacts they all work except 2 Up and Down.

The stange thing is I will program again and I can fix say Up but when I do then Down stops working. ?????????

I have narrowed it down to the Ipac 4.

Running fw 1.34 should I be using 1.44 instead? I have read all the install docs and searched any ideas

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

Re: IPac 4 key assignment issue new [Re: samslack]
#360887 - 12/04/16 06:16 AM

Just a few thoughts, direct from the website:

1) Firmware with/without the Game Controller device.

Starting with version 34 there are separate firmware versions which have the game controller device present/not present.

Versions without game controller (ie with keyboard and mouse support) have the first version digit as "4" eg 1.44.

Versions with game controller (ie with gamepad button, keyboard and mouse support) have the first version digit as "3" eg 1.34.

When changing versions it is necessary after the firmware change to locate the "composite device" under the USB Controllers entry in Device Manager and "Uninstall" this so that Windows can re-detect the new version correctly.

Have you tried this ^^ anyway? Even if you didn't change the firmware...It can't hurt.

2) It could also be something in your wiring is amiss or sticking. Try disconnecting everything & hooking them up 1 at a time until you find a problem.

3) Also, don't forget about the IPAC Shift key(usually P1 Start & you said that was sort of repeating like it's stuck on when you hit another key). If it's sticking on or something it'll mess things up for the IPAC.

Those are a couple of easy things to check before you contact Andy. Let us know, maybe someone else has a better idea to try.

Good Luck!

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

samslack
MAME Fan
Send PM

#360916 - 12/05/16 04:43 AM

Well I have been all over ultimarc webside reading faq trouble shooting guids and ohming out connections.

I started w ground all check out, then all switches the are all connected properly and ohm out to verify. All buttons and sticks are brand new. Firmware is what came with it 1.34

I program switch 3 to be e and switch 4 to be t

It says its programmed successful then when i test switch 3 with that keyboard tester suggested off ultimarcs site it presses e and t simoltaniously???????? Is this normal ???? And the buton for switch 4 does nothing ??????

Even if i disconnect everything then program it using a small piece of wire quickly connwct sw 2 (one that works) and it types the assigned character in the tester app. When i do the same to sw 3 pin same deal it types e and t. I even tried to make them different letters and they wont change. Its weird. Anyone else seen this like. It may be the board or the software to program it. I am using win 10. I tried all the steps. Reset usb by removing it and re adding it. Im out of ideas and i suspect the board is not properly wring the value from the buffer or in win 10 its not working right.

Anyone else successful in programming / assigning keys ????

Anyone else using win 10 to do so.

I tried also running as admin no change and runnong in qin 7 compatability mode also as admin same thing. This is getting frustrating.

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Send PM

#360920 - 12/05/16 06:13 AM

My stuff is all on Win10 & have had no problems software-wise.

That does sound odd. These things are usually pretty simple to troubleshoot & fix. I can't think of anything else simple to check & it sounds like you're pretty confident in what you're doing there so it sounds like it should be working...

Is it just those 1 or 2 keys that do that? Everything else works like it should right?

I'd check over at Build Your Own Arcade Cabinet http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/ & see if you can find something in there.

If not, definitely shoot Andy an email. He should take care of you no problem. (That is, if that's where you got it from)

Good luck!

I'm sure someone else around here has some other ideas if you can wait a day or so...

samslack
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: IPac 4 key assignment issue new [Re: Bad A Billy]
#360923 - 12/05/16 06:43 AM

hmmm im suspecting the board then if your saying youhave programed in win 10 before off

[image][/image]

See The above shows player 3 sw 8 assigned to L Cant get any simpler than this it says board reconfigured successfully at the bottom as you think it would if it was going to work. Then I do the test no mame or emulator even involved at this point and nothing else connected except 3sw 8 to the microswitch and ground

No shift key or IPAC shift nothing. So this would not seem normal operation. It sounds like yoou dont have these issues.

Edited by samslack (12/05/16 07:07 AM)

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

#360943 - 12/05/16 10:49 PM

You can email Andy no matter where you purchased your product.

What kind of keyboard is that? Keyboard + mouse - modified...what?

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Send PM

Re: Let us know what you make out... <NT> new [Re: samslack]
#361068 - 12/08/16 04:46 AM

normfly
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/11/17
Send PM

Re: IPac 4 key assignment issue new [Re: Traso]
#362698 - 01/18/17 11:38 PM

Here's how I got a 2005 Ipac 4 PS2 to program with Windows 10 64bit.

1) Bought Ultimarc PS2 to USB cable.
2) Downloaded Oracle Virtual Box.
Started a virtual box and installed Windows XP from an old disk.
4) Opened WinIpac with options at USB.

Hope this helps,

Norm

samslack
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: IPac 4 key assignment issue new [Re: Bad A Billy]
#362710 - 01/19/17 01:13 AM

The board was bad andy sent me a replacement and it works great i didnt even need to change any of the programming just swaped it.

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Send PM

#362719 - 01/19/17 04:46 AM

Great! (sort of...)

At least you know YOU did everything right.

Enjoy!

Pages: 1

Frontend Tech + >> Ultimarc
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Andy Warne 
0 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3402