MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1 | 2 | >>

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: 2016 Is Almost Over: What Do You Guys Hope For in Mame/Mess? new [Re: Heihachi_73]
#362242 - 01/04/17 11:00 PM

>> 3. more PEPlus titles being saved is a good thing.

>Just a random question, is it just MAME or do the PE Plus games really take that long to
>insert coins on real hardware?

I am not sure regarding operating speed when doing coin credits. I only played maybe once or twice at most way back in late 1990s when visiting Las Vegas from California. Jim Stolis [former contributor] or someone from Nevada or New Jersey region that played PEPlus systems regularly during 1990s would have the answer.

APN
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/07/09
Send PM

Re: 2016 Is Almost Over: What Do You Guys Hope For in Mame/Mess? new [Re: Master O]
#362329 - 01/08/17 03:39 AM

While not completely mame related, I'd love to see a new version of R. Belmont's M1 arcade music player. It's been around 8 or 9 years since it was last updated.

redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

Re: 2016 Is Almost Over: What Do You Guys Hope For in Mame/Mess? new [Re: APN]
#362331 - 01/08/17 05:25 AM

2016 is over. Start a 2017 wish list and put it on it!

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

Re: 2016 Is Almost Over: What Do You Guys Hope For in Mame/Mess? new [Re: redk9258]
#362333 - 01/08/17 06:27 AM

> 2016 is over. Start a 2017 wish list and put it on it!

I wish redk9258 would start a new thread called:

2017 Has Just Begun: What Do You Guys Hope For in Mame/Mess?

[/sarcasm]

In all seriousness though, as long as the Decapping Project keeps going, I'll be happy for a long while.

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

Antny
Lurker
Reged: 10/10/03
Send PM

#362334 - 01/08/17 07:13 AM

Agreed I mentioned M1 in the 2014 'wish list' post. I'm going to start a petition to withhold his pay until he starts his new version.

Antny
Lurker
Send PM

Re: 2016 Is Almost Over: What Do You Guys Hope For in Mame/Mess? new [Re: Olivier Galibert]
#362335 - 01/08/17 07:17 AM

Thanks for the update. I've monitored discussions in past. Is emulating the hardware the problem or is it waiting for the Vatican sanctioned capture?

Thanks x 2

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

This. This is all I want for 2017. *nt* new [Re: APN]
#362339 - 01/08/17 02:50 PM

> While not completely mame related, I'd love to see a new version of R. Belmont's M1
> arcade music player. It's been around 8 or 9 years since it was last updated.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

Re: 2016 Is Almost Over: What Do You Guys Hope For in Mame/Mess? new [Re: Antny]
#362341 - 01/08/17 02:57 PM

> Thanks for the update. I've monitored discussions in past. Is emulating the hardware
> the problem or is it waiting for the Vatican sanctioned capture?
>
> Thanks x 2

As far as I'm aware, it's just a matter of getting the right kind of capture, but to do that, it's a matter of finding the right kind of person with the right kind of hardware.

There's supposedly a specific type of LD player which has hardware where it's (reasonably) easy to tap into its circuitry right after the just-read sample has been converted from analog to digital, as well as a bit indicating whether or not the conversion was successful.

If that's the case, then getting bit-perfect dumps should be as simple as hooking a logic analyzer up to that specific type of player in that specific spot in the circuit, and then running as many copies of the same disc through the player until there are no samples for which the "sample valid" bit was not set.

Honestly, it kind of pisses me off that there's been no movement on this front. People have been doing shit way more technically involved than that for MAME for literally years at this point: Just look at what Sean Riddle's been doing in this thread on the Bannister forums. I bet there are a lot of people who think Dr. Decapitator and Caps0ff are the only people who have been doing decapping work. Uh-uh. So it's infuriating and baffling to me that nobody seems to have picked up this info and run with it. Maybe it's that the few devs who know that this can be done aren't sharing the info in the right place, or don't know the right people to do it?

In any case, getting bit-perfect LD dumps seems like something that should be perhaps not trivial, but at least not the insurmountable task that so many people appear to think it is. I wish the people with access to the right kind of LD player, and access to the LDs themselves, would get together and stop twiddling their thumbs, because the LDs are just bit-rotting away while we're going in circles. All the pieces are there, someone just needs to put them together.

Antny
Lurker
Send PM

Re: 2016 Is Almost Over: What Do You Guys Hope For in Mame/Mess? new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#362354 - 01/09/17 06:03 AM

Quote:

As far as I'm aware, it's just a matter of getting the right kind of capture, but to do that, it's a matter of finding the right kind of person with the right kind of hardware.

There's supposedly a specific type of LD player which has hardware where it's (reasonably) easy to tap into its circuitry right after the just-read sample has been converted from analog to digital, as well as a bit indicating whether or not the conversion was successful.

If that's the case, then getting bit-perfect dumps should be as simple as hooking a logic analyzer up to that specific type of player in that specific spot in the circuit, and then running as many copies of the same disc through the player until there are no samples for which the "sample valid" bit was not set.

Thanks for the info Moogly. From what OG said in this thread there doesn't seem to be any developer with the hardware or the know-how to capture the discs as you described. Would it be possible to use existing captures available and encode them with the necessary frame information? Then later be replaced with the flawless encoded copy (if it ever happens at all). I'm sure the existing Cube Quest CHD can be replaced with a bit-perfect one when the time comes, correct? I noticed over the years roms are updated/replaced as better dumps are found why not LD rips? Forgetting DL & SA as there are legal issues there are still many LD games that could use some TLC. I think I remember someone saying there was access to the prototype Gallagher game.

I remember reading a comprehensive description of how LDs work on Aaron's page. I remember him using a program called Direct Show to encode Cube Quest with the necessary information. I'm not sure encode is correct word to use.

I know the discs are getting old and will definitely succumb to bit-rot. At that point there will be no way of getting a perfect rip.

I want to personally thank you for taking a stab at Stunt Cycle. It also seems to have brought back couriersud. He continues his black magic. I think this is all a deception and he is really trying to take over the internet.

I wish someone could explain his progress (in laymen's terms).

Thanks again for the response and I will keep my fingers crossed that some LD progress will come in '17

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

Re: 2016 Is Almost Over: What Do You Guys Hope For in Mame/Mess? new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#362355 - 01/09/17 06:48 AM

Quote:

I wish the people with access to the right kind of LD player, and access to the LDs themselves, would get together and stop twiddling their thumbs, because the LDs are just bit-rotting away while we're going in circles. All the pieces are there, someone just needs to put them together.

In addition to the bit-rot situation on the LDs themselves, I'm also concerned that the "right kind of LD player" may be harder and harder to obtain in the future as things break and people toss old hardware that they can't hook up to their 4K TVs. How common is the "right kind of LD player"? Maybe we should be picking them up on Ebay (assuming they ever show up there) and stockpiling some extras.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Re: 2016 Is Almost Over: What Do You Guys Hope For in Mame/Mess? new [Re: krick]
#362361 - 01/09/17 11:29 AM

Why not scout out the engineers who worked on those games. I can't see why they'd say no if they had the maens and all.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Is it missing functionality? (nt) new [Re: APN]
#362362 - 01/09/17 11:31 AM

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: 2016 Is Almost Over: What Do You Guys Hope For in Mame/Mess? new [Re: Traso]
#362372 - 01/09/17 04:29 PM

> Why not scout out the engineers who worked on those games. I can't see why they'd say
> no if they had the maens and all.

I'm one of the few on the team that's talked to a high number of engineers on any arcade games over the years and so I can say with authority: That would not be helpful at all, in this case.

- Stiletto

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

No, we're just asking for the sake of asking. *nt* **** new [Re: Traso]
#362376 - 01/09/17 07:43 PM

CptGuapo
Beat'em-ups Lover
Reged: 03/18/08
Loc: Off to Never Never Land
Send PM

#362432 - 01/11/17 07:24 AM

> While not completely mame related, I'd love to see a new version of R. Belmont's M1
> arcade music player. It's been around 8 or 9 years since it was last updated.

Oh, man... What a coincidence... Some hours ago I was looking for old files to get rid of in my hard drive and I stumbled across just at M1 too...

It would be awesome to have an update...

"Mythology is what grownups believe, folklore is what they tell children and religion is both."

Brian Deuel
Old Man
Reged: 01/09/04
Send PM

Re: 2016 Is Almost Over: What Do You Guys Hope For in Mame/Mess? new [Re: zambr]
#362539 - 01/14/17 02:08 AM

Same as last year... the missing Nichibutsu "Moon"games...

"One of these days, I'm going to cut you into little pieces!"- Nick Mason, Pink Floyd

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Then someone should open their suckhole and say what it is,****. (nt) new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#362568 - 01/15/17 04:27 AM

Pages: 1 | 2 | >>

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 169 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 11863