MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

I can kind of understand why so many beautiful classic arcade cabinets were smashed and trashed.
#359788 - 10/21/16 05:14 PM

Imagine in the day after the arcade collapse, and you had all these giant heavy-ass cabinets nobody wanted. When the resale value is less than the cost of shipping them, it makes selling them difficult if not impossible. If you were a pure business man without the nostalgia and love for the game, it's a hell of a lot cheaper to just throw that old Computer Space in the dumpster than it is to store it waiting for a buyer who can pick it up.

Its the love of the games that keeps them alive now, not economics.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: I can kind of understand why so many beautiful classic arcade cabinets were smashed and trashed. new [Re: GatKong]
#359790 - 10/21/16 07:47 PM

>Imagine in the day after the arcade collapse, and you had all these giant heavy-ass
>cabinets nobody wanted. When the resale value is less than the cost of shipping them, it
>makes selling them difficult if not impossible. If you were a pure business man without
>the nostalgia and love for the game, it's a hell of a lot cheaper to just throw that old
>Computer Space in the dumpster than it is to store it waiting for a buyer who can pick
>it up.

Unfortunately true. I give credit to those [including rental vendors] that have been willing to hold on to various 1970s era cabs and also to older generations that enjoyed playing those specific 1970s era games and were willing to keep the cabs in working condition as long as possible.

>Its the love of the games that keeps them alive now,

Same can be said regarding various computer software / console software as well since various emulators are emulating computers, consoles, and handheld games. Truckloads of software still in need of being found and preserved [from fragile diskettes] if even possible.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: I can kind of understand why so many beautiful classic arcade cabinets were smashed and trashed. new [Re: GatKong]
#359791 - 10/21/16 08:10 PM

It was more to do with taxes according to an old operator I talked to. Destroying them netted them more than 50-100 or whatever for the cabs from tax write offs. But I don't think there was a time in the 80s when they couldn't sell them. If you priced them at 50 bucks a pop they would fly out the door. People have always wanted arcade games at home and those people didn't pay attention to any sort of crash.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Re: I can kind of understand why so many beautiful classic arcade cabinets were smashed and trashed. new [Re: Smitdogg]
#359797 - 10/21/16 09:14 PM

> If you priced them at 50 bucks a pop they would fly out the door. People have always wanted arcade games at home and those people didn't pay attention to any sort of crash.

It wasn't visible, though it may've been in certain news items. It may not've even been on TV much; I did watch 60 Minutes, 20/20, and Nightline as a kid and don't recall anything. We only noticed the smaller arcades closing. But typically anything with more than ten games stayed open through the early 90s at least, and all convenience and drug stores still had a game or two.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

#360060 - 10/28/16 08:32 PM

> Imagine in the day after the arcade collapse, and you had all these giant heavy-ass
> cabinets nobody wanted. When the resale value is less than the cost of shipping them,
> it makes selling them difficult if not impossible. If you were a pure business man
> without the nostalgia and love for the game, it's a hell of a lot cheaper to just
> throw that old Computer Space in the dumpster than it is to store it waiting for a
> buyer who can pick it up.
>
> Its the love of the games that keeps them alive now, not economics.

it's not just arcade cabinets, but due to their size they are a good example, even moreso today with the remaining ones as they're not even really economical to operate with the big old CRTs and what was considered 'beautiful' in the 80s and 90s is considered an eyesore today.

that's why a lot of the larger setups are long gone tho, yes.

but on a smaller scale, I managed to pick up a bunch of PS3 games for nothing from a local store, they wanted to clear the shelf-space for other titles so were giving away PS3, Xbox 360 stock they couldn't move, had I not taken that, it would have ended up in a skip too.

yaggy
Coin-op fixer
Reged: 01/23/05
Loc: Philadelphia
Send PM

#360061 - 10/28/16 08:42 PM

Another thing to consider, operators of all sorts of amusements had a habit of smashing up their novelty machines (jukes, mechanical gun, pinball) once they lost earning potential and/or were too bothersome to repair and a big reason is they didn't want anyone else getting cheap games and starting a competition. this slowly changed some when video conversion kits started hitting the market, making dead cabinets come back to life with heavy cashboxes.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: I can kind of understand why so many beautiful classic arcade cabinets were smashed and trashed. new [Re: yaggy]
#360111 - 10/30/16 10:32 PM

> Another thing to consider, operators of all sorts of amusements had a habit of smashing up their novelty machines (jukes, mechanical gun, pinball) once they lost earning potential and/or were too bothersome to repair and a big reason is they didn't want anyone else getting cheap games and starting a competition.

I would've put them in storage. There were some smaller, older-game arcades round here, but they didn't make it long...

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: I can kind of understand why so many beautiful classic arcade cabinets were smashed and trashed. new [Re: Haze]
#360119 - 10/31/16 08:03 AM

> but on a smaller scale, I managed to pick up a bunch of PS3 games for nothing from a
> local store, they wanted to clear the shelf-space for other titles so were giving
> away PS3, Xbox 360 stock they couldn't move, had I not taken that, it would have
> ended up in a skip too.

Really? Shops in Australia still want $10+ for PS3/360/Wii games, and that's for the cheap throwaway/casual titles. PS2 and original Xbox games go for $3-$5, GameCube go for $20+ (it must be that magical Nintendo logo on the cover; even shitty EA Sports titles are expensive on GameCube compared to PS2/Xbox). Even bottom-feeders like Cash Converters still want $8-$15 for PS3 games and lock them behind perspex doors despite having $50+ DVD/Blu-Ray box sets sitting in the open! Hence, all my collecting was directed to PS2 games (and the odd PS1 game). EB Games are practically 10% off brand new RRP when it comes to second hand games even during their "sales" so they're completely off-limits, especially when they mark up false prices like "WAS $99.99 -> NOW $80" when the RRP used to be $79.95 before the sale.

jonwil
Lurker
Reged: 10/06/03
Send PM

Re: I can kind of understand why so many beautiful classic arcade cabinets were smashed and trashed. new [Re: Heihachi_73]
#360120 - 10/31/16 08:17 AM

Listing a "was" price when the product wasn't actually sold at that price is illegal in Australia under the consumer law and if you see a retailer doing it, you should report the information to the ACCC.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: I can kind of understand why so many beautiful classic arcade cabinets were smashed and trashed. new [Re: Traso]
#360122 - 10/31/16 12:09 PM

> I would've put them in storage. There were some smaller, older-game arcades round
> here, but they didn't make it long...

Putting a bunch of arcade and pinball machines, based on the average size of arcades in their heyday, into storage could get pretty expensive pretty quickly.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Re: I can kind of understand why so many beautiful classic arcade cabinets were smashed and trashed. new [Re: jonwil]
#360125 - 10/31/16 02:37 PM

> Listing a "was" price when the product wasn't actually sold at that price is illegal
> in Australia under the consumer law and if you see a retailer doing it, you should
> report the information to the ACCC.

But according to the law, does that apply to the immediately preceding price, the price the day before,the price of an actual preceding sale of the product, or a price at any time in the past?

jonwil
Lurker
Reged: 10/06/03
Send PM

Re: I can kind of understand why so many beautiful classic arcade cabinets were smashed and trashed. new [Re: TriggerFin]
#360138 - 10/31/16 11:08 PM

The information from the ACCC suggests that the "was" price needs to be the price it was sold at before the sale started.

If the price is $79.95 before the sale starts and that is the regular selling price of the product but the price ticket claims a "was" price of $99.99 that is very clearly illegal under Australian law.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Re: I can kind of understand why so many beautiful classic arcade cabinets were smashed and trashed. new [Re: jonwil]
#360139 - 11/01/16 01:48 AM

> The information from the ACCC suggests that the "was" price needs to be the price it
> was sold at before the sale started.
>
> If the price is $79.95 before the sale starts and that is the regular selling price
> of the product but the price ticket claims a "was" price of $99.99 that is very
> clearly illegal under Australian law.

Well there you go. Did they raise the price in the last hour of the previous day?

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: I can kind of understand why so many beautiful classic arcade cabinets were smashed and trashed. new [Re: TriggerFin]
#360140 - 11/01/16 06:29 AM

> Well there you go. Did they raise the price in the last hour of the previous day?

That wouldn't cover their arses - Harris Scarfe were prosecuted for raising prices a day or too before starting a sale to artificially exaggerate savings.

lharms
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/07/06
Send PM

#360141 - 11/01/16 06:54 AM

I owned a pinball machine for many years. However, I would never intentionally buy one again. A guy I used to work with owned a DK machine. One thing we both agreed on we were quite relieved they were not in our possession anymore. I came out about even on the deal he had to give his away. I enjoyed having it but the thing was just a pain to move around.

I have considered building one with an LCD but I would be just back where I started with a giant thing that I rarely use. I would rather any sort of thing like that be in the possession of someone who genuinely wanted one and could take care of it. I have been toying with the idea of getting rid of my 35+ years of console collection, with 50-200 games each. Just to have my space back.

One major downside to what you are talking about is HLSL is starting to get to the point where if you had the right info you could simulate each monitor type and set the defaults for games to be 'factory'. But the boards and the monitors and cabs for many items are now three different things if they even exist anymore. Probably only a few popular/unique games would still be in one piece. But many others may not even exist in their original forms anymore and are little more than boards.

Even back in the heyday of arcades you would see 'the generic' basically some other game stripped of its original artwork refurbished controls and the operator would just swap boards in and out. Just to keep from having yet another box in inventory.

Orc
A Motivated, Liquidated Nightmare..... Like A Baby With A Laser On A Rocking Chair
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Dorset, UK
Send PM

#360155 - 11/02/16 12:57 AM

Yep....

Much to my dismay having just moved I had to strip down my cab.....

Basically to get it out...

I had nowhere to put the 29" CRT.....So I dumped it...

Still have visions of returning to MAME one day and rebuilding it with a new screen...

Also still have a Gottlieb "Strange World" pinball in pieces in the garage.....

Really should sell that one......

Along with the ZX 48k....Atari 2600....C64.....C128D....

Amiga A500...Playstation....N64....

OOhhhh the times they are a changing.......

I'm now flying around in space in Elite Dangerous.....In an engineered Python....

In a wing.....Playing a multi-Player game.....TrackIr and teamspeak....

And considering buying the "Rift" or the "Vive"

Who would have thought.....

Sheesh.....

This is what happens when cabby no fitty through door...
http://orc.mameworld.info

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Yeah..... new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#360183 - 11/03/16 05:39 AM

Fuck those niggers.

> > Well there you go. Did they raise the price in the last hour of the previous day?

> That wouldn't cover their arses - Harris Scarfe were prosecuted for raising prices a day or too before starting a sale to artificially exaggerate savings.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: I can kind of understand why so many beautiful classic arcade cabinets were smashed and trashed. new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#360185 - 11/03/16 07:31 AM

> Putting a bunch of arcade and pinball machines, based on the average size of arcades in their heyday, into storage could get pretty expensive pretty quickly.

Depends what one means by expensive, or what expensive means to them. A lot of people did put things in storage. A lot of people ran strapped businesses.

Hell, have you heard the consumer storage figures? Something like the average family has a third of their belongings in storage, and this has been so for a few/several years at least. In my area there've been ten storage places pop up in the last ten years, two of them within a quarter mile of each other.

lharms
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/07/06
Send PM

Re: I can kind of understand why so many beautiful classic arcade cabinets were smashed and trashed. new [Re: Traso]
#360187 - 11/03/16 08:24 AM

> > Putting a bunch of arcade and pinball machines, based on the average size of
> arcades in their heyday, into storage could get pretty expensive pretty quickly.
>
>
> Depends what one means by expensive, or what expensive means to them. A lot of people
> did put things in storage. A lot of people ran strapped businesses.
>
> Hell, have you heard the consumer storage figures? Something like the average family
> has a third of their belongings in storage, and this has been so for a few/several
> years at least. In my area there've been ten storage places pop up in the last ten
> years, two of them within a quarter mile of each other.

To the guys who ran the original arcades it was just about cost and revenue, not nostalgia. If it didnt make money they got rid of it. Some were passionate about it but they were rare. Just to pick a number out of the air lets say 10k per year to rent 1000sq ft. Some of these companies probably needed 10x that space to keep all of their inventory. Lets say you could get 50 games in there (thats optimistic). Each one of those games is costing you 200 bucks a year. For awhile there many not worth even that. Remember these are not the restored boxes you usually come across today. They were *well* used games. You know the kind with the cig burned panel, burnt in screen, with a wonky 2nd player controller, and the right cash box did not work at all because some dick poured a beer in it. Also in some jurisdictions since you were an operator they charged you a flat tax rate per machine owned per year. From a pure business POV it would be a waste of money to keep them. Back then if you owned the 1000sqft you could rent it out for 10k a year, or you could keep a depreciating asset in inventory that you keep paying taxes on.

Individual buyers were kind of a pain. They had no clue how to move the things and want a few hours of your time. They probably wanted a particular box and it was always the one in the back of the storage unit. Then they may backout because the 2p controller is snapped clean off. Just so you can offload 1 box. Whereas you can scrap or auction them. Scrapping them means you get a tax writeoff. Auctions could be a pain too as you had to pay some dudes to move a non profit box somewhere and hope you can sell a game that no longer sells. These days something like that is worth a decent amount if you want to mess with it. There are many companies out there that popped up to help the individual buyers. But in the early 90s? That was not so crystal clear.

Dont confuse that with what people packrat away in a storage unit. They consider their stuff valuable so they store it. Arcade dudes were usually just in it for the money. Once the money dried up they got out of it. You probably would find a lot of overlap of the kind of dudes who now sell storage and old arcade owners.

We value the games *now*, but back then not so much. It is part of the history of these things. We can lament 'what if' but those 'what ifs' ran headlong into money.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 133 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2426