Pages: 1

Kimbhoot
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/08/16
Send PM

Getting started with MAME
#358455 - 09/08/16 09:53 PM

Hi,
I've grown up playing arcade games in the 80's and 90's. Trying to give my son a flavor of some of the games I've played as a child. I've some some reading and downloaded a few emulators to play some of the games I have but so far, no luck.
I have two roms (galaga and 99 The Last War). I've tried a few emulators but it would produce error messages when I try to play the games. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have windows 10 and windows 7 boxes.

Thanks in advance.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: Getting started with MAME new [Re: Kimbhoot]
#358456 - 09/08/16 10:11 PM

> I have two roms (galaga and 99 The Last War). I've tried a few emulators but it would
> produce error messages when I try to play the games. Any help would be greatly
> appreciated.

Hi!

Have you read the official project documentation? It's pretty good at helping you get up and running with a minimum of fuss: http://docs.mamedev.org/

It's most likely that you're downloading outdated ROM sets, or ROM sets that need a parent or device set in order to function properly. You should have a read through this page, as it does a great job of explaining how that works: http://choccyhobnob.com/articles/demystifying-mame-roms/

Sthiryu
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/09/16
Send PM

#358457 - 09/08/16 10:17 PM

Hi, I made this MameUI tutorial few months ago, maybe it can help you...The bad thing is that the words are in spanish, but maybe you can follow it...Just use the latest mame version, the 177, the basic things work fine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv1LaSlyQzA

Hope it can help you...

Edited by Sthiryu (09/08/16 10:18 PM)

RETRODANUART.COM

Kimbhoot
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Getting started with MAME new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#358458 - 09/08/16 11:22 PM

Thanks for both the guide and the video. I've just read the second guide and it was very helpful. Will look at the video and see if I can get it to work. so if I just got mame 0.177. how can I get Galaga to work? the version I have with all the parent/required files, says there are known video issues with this version of the machine and the image is all scrambled in the game.

gamez fan
Reged: 02/23/13
Send PM

#358459 - 09/08/16 11:42 PM

Quote:

so if I just got mame 0.177. how can I get Galaga to work? the version I have with all the
parent/required files, says there are known video issues with this version of the
machine and the image is all scrambled in the game.

BTW you can play both the original and a new arrange version of Galaga in MAME with Namco Classic Collection Vol 1

Arcade Addict

Kimbhoot
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Getting started with MAME new [Re: gamez fan]
#358460 - 09/08/16 11:46 PM

> so if I just got mame 0.177. how can I get Galaga to work? the version I have with
> all the
> parent/required files, says there are known video issues with this version of the
> machine and the image is all scrambled in the game.
>
>
> BTW you can play both the original and a new arrange version of Galaga in MAME with
> Namco Classic Collection Vol 1

How? Please tell me what files I need and where to get it from? none of the emulators I have are able to play the roms I have.

gamez fan
Send PM

#358461 - 09/08/16 11:48 PM

Quote:

How? Please tell me what files I need and where to get it from? none of the emulators I have are able to play the roms I have.

We cant tell you how or where to get MAME Roms you'll have to figure that one out for yourself!!

Arcade Addict

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

#358463 - 09/09/16 05:30 AM

> > so if I just got mame 0.177. how can I get Galaga to work? the version I have with
> > all the
> > parent/required files, says there are known video issues with this version of the
> > machine and the image is all scrambled in the game.
> >
> >
> > BTW you can play both the original and a new arrange version of Galaga in MAME with
> > Namco Classic Collection Vol 1
>
>
> How? Please tell me what files I need and where to get it from? none of the emulators
> I have are able to play the roms I have.

All you have to do is look at the ROM's zip name and then google search it. If you not that smart then you are missing out.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#358468 - 09/09/16 05:40 AM

> How? Please tell me what files I need and where to get it from? none of the emulators

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=MAME+0.177+ROMs

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

#358472 - 09/09/16 09:33 AM

> the version I have with all the
> parent/required files, says there are known video issues with this version of the
> machine

Yes, that's correct. But the video issues are extremely minor and you won't even notice them.

> and the image is all scrambled in the game.

You've never owned a real arcade machine, have you? I'd be willing to bet actual cash that you're just not sitting through the game's self-test. Watch this video, for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLCENhqCeF8

Also, I would advise not listening to "gamez fan", he's trying to confuse you by suggesting you download another MAME ROM set when Galaga itself actually works just fine. He doesn't seem to understand that when you're already confused about how to run MAME, telling you to go and get some other game doesn't really help you at all.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

Re: Getting started with MAME new [Re: Dullaron]
#358473 - 09/09/16 09:34 AM

> All you have to do is look at the ROM's zip name and then google search it. If you
> not that smart then you are missing out.

You don't get to accuse other people of being stupid when those of us who have been around here for a while know you're actually mentally disabled, to the point of having a carer and everything. How dare you try to crack a joke about someone else being "not that smart"? You hypocritical fucker you.

Apparently you're not smart enough to realize that just Googling for various ROM sets is a good way to run across websites that have outdated ROMs that don't work. So, uh,

gamez fan
Send PM

#358475 - 09/09/16 03:23 PM

Quote:

Also, I would advise not listening to "gamez fan", he's trying to confuse you by suggesting you download another MAME ROM set when Galaga itself actually works just fine. He doesn't seem to understand that when you're already confused about how to run MAME, telling you to go and get some other game doesn't really help you at all.

Thanks for that but i was just mentioning to the guy there was other options in order to be able
to play galaga in MAME plus with Namco Classic Collection Vol 1 he had the bonus of the galaga arrangement version also.

Arcade Addict

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Yeah, I understood this..... new [Re: gamez fan]
#358489 - 09/09/16 10:22 PM

> i was just mentioning to the guy there was other options in order to be able to play galaga in MAME plus with Namco Classic Collection Vol 1 he had the bonus of the galaga arrangement version also.

I also thought K may not've been sitting through the test screen. Who didn't see a test screen in the arcade?....

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

gamez fan
Send PM

Re: Yeah, I understood this..... new [Re: Traso]
#358495 - 09/09/16 10:54 PM

Quote:

I also thought K may not've been sitting through the test screen. Who didn't see a test screen in the arcade?....

Well in fairness he might not have, thinking back you'd need to have been in the Arcades around opening time when they switched on all the machines i can honestly say i'd never seen a test screen or bootup screen until it became the thing for idiots to turn off the game you were playing using a hidden switch on top of the cab

Arcade Addict

Kimbhoot
MAME Fan
Send PM

#358497 - 09/09/16 11:41 PM

> > All you have to do is look at the ROM's zip name and then google search it. If you
> > not that smart then you are missing out.
>
> You don't get to accuse other people of being stupid when those of us who have been
> around here for a while know you're actually mentally disabled, to the point of
> having a carer and everything. How dare you try to crack a joke about someone else
> being "not that smart"? You hypocritical fucker you.
>
> Apparently you're not smart enough to realize that just Googling for various ROM sets
> is a good way to run across websites that have outdated ROMs that don't work. So, uh,

Thanks for your response. Google haven't been that helpful which is why I registered here so I can talk to actual users who know what they're talking about. Isn't that the purpose of this forum?

Anyhow, I got Galaga to work with the help of gamez fan. As I stated before, I just got into the world of MAME and emulators. Lot to learn. Hope to get some knowledge from here.

Thanks.

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

Re: Yeah, I understood this..... new [Re: gamez fan]
#358512 - 09/10/16 03:57 AM

That's not a "hidden" switch(OK, it was sort of), it's called a power switch & they were placed on top(on many) so that you didn't have to move the machines to turn them on/off when they were placed side by side & back to back in rows(& you didn't have a circuit breaker setup). For the most part it was a matter of convenience & also to keep 99.9%(my #) of DA's from turning them off while others were playing. Obviously not a foolproof method but 1 solution to the problem. As with any consumer product, each company had their own ideas as to what was "best" & used those in their machines.

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

#358542 - 09/11/16 07:04 PM

That's not emulation, it's a rewrite. Who wants to play a rewrite if you can play the original how you remember it.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: Getting started with MAME new [Re: Smitdogg]
#358544 - 09/11/16 07:45 PM

> That's not emulation, it's a rewrite. Who wants to play a rewrite if you can play the
> original how you remember it.

I think the 'original' versions are a direct translation of the original code, they even have the same bugs.

Edited by Haze (09/11/16 07:45 PM)

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Getting started with MAME new [Re: Haze]
#358545 - 09/11/16 07:47 PM

I haven't looked at bugs but they didn't even feel the same as the originals last time I messed with them.

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

#358548 - 09/11/16 09:52 PM

>
>
> We cant tell you how or where to get MAME Roms you'll have to figure that one out for
> yourself!!

Oh, I thought that rule wasn't enforced anymore.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Re: Yeah, I understood this..... new [Re: Bad A Billy]
#358549 - 09/11/16 10:10 PM

I'm sure some kids found out about the switch by seeing a tech working on it during open hours. I did, but didn't notice the switch thing. It wasn't until high school that I would've been that interested in getting around not having money to play, but I wasn't interested enough in playing games for it to have been more than a cursory thing.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 445 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2540