MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Smoking kills pets!
#358190 - 09/02/16 12:03 AM Attachment: sm.png 10 KB (0 downloads)

I found this a banner on I think the Tribler site. I hadn't really thought about, but yeah I guess it would.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Re: Smoking kills pets! new [Re: Traso]
#358195 - 09/02/16 01:04 AM

> I found this a banner on I think the Tribler site. I hadn't really thought about, but
> yeah I guess it would.

I thought "big tobacco" paid for the "truth" campaign....

Robbbert
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

Re: Smoking kills pets! new [Re: TriggerFin]
#358196 - 09/02/16 01:07 AM

-

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/28/03
Send PM

Re: Smoking kills pets! new [Re: Robbbert]
#358199 - 09/02/16 03:35 AM

I think I read somewhere recently that pets are more susceptible to getting LC from second hand smoke and develop it quicker than humans.

Filthy habit with no legitimate reason to be legal in this day/age given the known dangers. If someone wants to commit suicide, fine, but smoking doesn't just affect the smoker.

DMala
Sleep is overrated
Reged: 05/09/05
Loc: Waltham, MA
Send PM

Re: Smoking kills pets! new [Re: DiodeDude]
#358201 - 09/02/16 07:34 AM

> Filthy habit with no legitimate reason to be legal in this day/age given the known
> dangers. If someone wants to commit suicide, fine, but smoking doesn't just affect
> the smoker.

Outlawing it will just drive the black market for it. We're finally just now coming to our senses about this with pot, outlawing tobacco would be a major step backwards.

Personally, I'm happy with the current situation. Heavily restrict where it's allowed, tax the bejesus out of it, and attach significant social stigma to it. I still know quite a few smokers, and pretty much all of them are well past the point of grumbling about having to huddle outside to do it. Make it unpleasant enough to pursue, and eventually it will fall out of fashion.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: Smoking kills pets! new [Re: DiodeDude]
#358240 - 09/03/16 03:26 AM

> I think I read somewhere recently that pets are more susceptible to getting LC from
> second hand smoke and develop it quicker than humans.
>
> Filthy habit with no legitimate reason to be legal in this day/age given the known
> dangers. If someone wants to commit suicide, fine, but smoking doesn't just affect
> the smoker.

yeah, pets are smaller, so the effects are worse, it's like those pictures of PCs you see where the owners have been heavy smokers, most of them are vile.

gamez fan
Reged: 02/23/13
Send PM

#358266 - 09/03/16 04:15 PM

Trucks n Trains kill far more pets than second hand smoke ever will, i suppose we'll see a campaign to get
lorry and train drivers to admit that . All joking aside when it comes to wide spread societal damage
Aloohol should be the drug they want to ban way before smoking

Arcade Addict

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Smoking kills pets! new [Re: gamez fan]
#358272 - 09/03/16 07:23 PM

People should be able to kill themselves however they want. We are very quickly going to get to the point where the earth can't sustain us anymore. Maybe in our lifetime. Even the pope is ending the Catholic no rubbers policy because he knows this. The problem with smoking is when it's allowed in public it can kill nonsmokers against their will. People who drink alcohol don't pour it down nondrinkers' throats.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Smoking kills pets! new [Re: Smitdogg]
#358283 - 09/04/16 01:30 AM

> People who drink alcohol don't pour it down nondrinkers' throats.

The issue is the social and economic costs of many's drinking habits. It's really an addiction, and that will take genetic tinkering. It won't be the only one, either.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Smoking kills pets! new [Re: Haze]
#358285 - 09/04/16 01:39 AM

> it's like those pictures of PCs you see where the owners have been heavy smokers, most of them are vile.

I've cleaned some of them. Also my excalibur cab was black from it...and maybe something else....fire in the house?

JWJr
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/15/04
Send PM

Re: Smoking kills pets! new [Re: Smitdogg]
#358296 - 09/04/16 05:44 AM

> People should be able to kill themselves however they want. We are very quickly going
> to get to the point where the earth can't sustain us anymore. Maybe in our lifetime.
> Even the pope is ending the Catholic no rubbers policy because he knows this. The
> problem with smoking is when it's allowed in public it can kill nonsmokers against
> their will. People who drink alcohol don't pour it down nondrinkers' throats.

While I agree with that, drunk drivers most assuredly have an effect on nondrinkers. This is where self-driving cars will make a yuuuge difference.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

#358302 - 09/04/16 12:28 PM

> The issue is the social and economic costs of many's drinking habits.

"Many"? So you've got numbers to back up this assertion, or is this just another one of your "gut feelings", oh psychic one?

> It's really an
> addiction.

So what? You can get addicted to just about anything that stimulates a pleasure response, from sports to food. It's possible to take just about anything to an unhealthy extreme.

There's a lot of shit that people do that has potential "social and economic costs". That guy riding a quad through some backwoods stands a good chance of killing himself, resulting in social consequences (a funeral) and economic costs (potentially increasing insurance premiums for everyone). People going skydiving also have the same risks. People who eat lots of food suffer social costs of being obese, and incur the same economic costs. Drinking is in the same category, as is smoking, but smoking is unique for the immediate and direct inconvenience it causes for non-smokers.

Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/19/10
Loc: The Room Next To You
Send PM

I have never once caught my pet smoking! new [Re: Traso]
#358327 - 09/05/16 08:02 AM

Just sayin'.

----------------------
I have officially retired from sucking at everything I do. Life is much easier now.

My MAME/MESS artwork files: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ABxeKgNIrKlIsyck7dx4V241NFQDWAF4
Related screen shots: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1U5IbvbVzYW97PuOOQuocvZFE_YJz7WIn

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Smoking kills pets! new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#358375 - 09/06/16 11:19 PM

> > The issue is the social and economic costs of many's drinking habits.

> "Many"? So you've got numbers to back up this assertion, or is this just another one of your "gut feelings", oh psychic one?

I'd say by the advertising the majority of people in the Western world drink alcohol. Probably 80% of those are potentially dangerous by having enough to affect their driving, and then doing so. (A couple/few times a year I go out with my brother to play pool. He always has at least a couple pints. Last night he had three or four. Fortunately, though the place is a mile from home, I'm a default DD.)

> > It's really an addiction.

> So what? You can get addicted to just about anything that stimulates a pleasure response, from sports to food. It's possible to take just about anything to an unhealthy extreme.

Yes, human nature is problematic.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
1 registered and 358 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1729