Pages: 1

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

I didn't even get mad.
#357918 - 08/22/16 03:52 PM

Years a go, I set up a harddrive to serve as a household cloud to store every picture and movie we ever took, to get them all in one place and organized.

Yesterday, Gatinha was uploading pictures to it, and then deleting them from her computer. She called me in for help wondering how all this "crap" got on her computer, and no matter how much she deletes, more keeps coming. No she wasn't deleting crap off her computer. She was wholesale deleting folders off the harddrive, and the only thing slowing her down was the delay waiting for the harddrive registries to load through the network to her computer.

We lost every picture or movie we ever took preceding 2013.

I'm sure I can look into recovery options. The point was, the damage was done. No point in getting mad. The loss affected us both equally.

Even more ironic, I just the SAME DAY that morning ordered a new 8TB drive to use to backup the household cloud. Ordered it just too late to serve its purpose in time.

:cry:

JWJr
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/15/04
Send PM

Re: I didn't even get mad. new [Re: GatKong]
#357919 - 08/22/16 05:03 PM

DO NOTHING ELSE TO THE HARD DRIVE. This is important, as everything else you do decreases the possibility of recovery.

When you recover, or set up your new system, do not grant anyone else DELETE permissions.

Pi
Allergic to life
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Room 101
Send PM

#357920 - 08/22/16 05:52 PM

We only understand the real importance of backups after a real disaster.

But what I wanted to say is that Recuva is free and I've had quite good results with it. However as you describe the situation I think you lost the things for good. Still worth a try to do a mass recovery and see if any picture is visible. Better recovering 5 or 10% than nothing.

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.
I can't get it right / Get it right / Since I met you...

URherenow
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Re: I didn't even get mad. new [Re: JWJr]
#357931 - 08/23/16 03:44 AM

Edit: Write is required to add stuff, but if your wife's account is not an administrator you could set an inherited read only attribute to files within a folder, and it would be as effective.

Edit 2: My bad, delete is indeed a separate permission in Windows in the advanced tab. Forgot about that.

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

amused
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/24/08
Send PM

#357937 - 08/23/16 10:54 AM

> Years a go, I set up a harddrive to serve as a household cloud to store every picture
> and movie we ever took, to get them all in one place and organized.

That was mistake number one.

>
> Yesterday, Gatinha was uploading pictures to it, and then deleting them from her
> computer. She called me in for help wondering how all this "crap" got on her
> computer

What, she didn't know about the "household cloud" hard drive?

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

#357940 - 08/23/16 02:43 PM

> I'm sure I can look into recovery options. The point was, the damage was done. No
> point in getting mad. The loss affected us both equally.

It's not even about the loss affecting you two equally, it's simply that there's no point in getting mad when it comes to lost data. It's not going to get the data back, and it's not going to warp you to a few hours earlier to push Gatinha's hands away from the keyboard and mouse.

I have kind of an odd attitude towards backups, I just don't bother with them, as I don't hold any particular attachment to the data on my hard drives. I've lost enough data over the years that I've become numb to data loss. I've written plenty of programs, downloaded tons of things, and taken plenty of pictures and videos that I won't ever get back, granted. But ultimately the ones that actually meant anything to me wound up being uploaded to places like Imgur, or on other websites, so that I could share the good memories with the various friends I've got across the web. Everything else I can rewrite (and better), re-download, or recall from my memory; and as anyone knows, the grass in your memory is more green, the clouds in your memory are more shapely, and the women in your memory are more beautiful versus when you finally go and look back at the actual photo. So I'm kind of okay with that stuff staying in my head.

URherenow
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Re: I didn't even get mad. new [Re: amused]
#357941 - 08/23/16 02:45 PM

Dunno what you're getting at with your second "point". I have to tell my wife about things repeatedly. She is completely computer and internet retarded. No fault of mine. Doesn't care to really learn.

I do, however, make backups on a schedule through Acronis, and I copy the profile folders elsewhere before a deployment. Worst case, it'll take me less than an hour to make the system exactly what it was the day I left.

Things I don't back up regularly (on other than my system drive) that I either can't replace or don't care to have to download again (like... the MAME stuff with all chds) comes with me on externals anyway.

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/28/03
Send PM

#357944 - 08/23/16 07:02 PM

If the sectors haven't been overwritten/zeroed, there is a chance a simple free recovery program like Recuva can get them back for you;

https://www.piriform.com/recuva

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Re: I didn't even get mad. new [Re: URherenow]
#357958 - 08/24/16 06:03 AM

Those who don't care, or who are/may be inept, don't get the keys. There has to be someone in charge. Too many chiefs invariably fucks things up.

My dad has the main computer, the one my mom uses, locked the fuck down, so she can't do fuck but fuck her own shit up.

Sometimes I get confused when backing up stuff manually, so I make goddamn sure which device I'm looking at, but the smart way is to go from left to right (or right to left if you swing that way....), and have the home directory tab first.

Lastly, I thought this kind of scenario was one reason for 'syncing'. So she adds new stuff to hers, and the home system copies it. Outta sight, outta mind.

I don't share nothin. Not money, not house, not devices..... I don't even let people hold my phone when I'm showing them pictures. I sure don't let them call out, not even family members.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: I didn't even get mad. new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#357959 - 08/24/16 06:08 AM

Um, no, my lasses are just as beautiful as when I was with 'em.

Anyways, if I was in love with her, I wouldn't get mad. But I'd strip her the fuck down right there and fuck her in the ass.

If I wasn't in love with her.....well, that's why I don't live with nobodae.

Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/19/10
Loc: The Room Next To You
Send PM

#357964 - 08/24/16 07:20 AM

This year, I bought my first backup drive ever (8TB). I've wanted one for years but couldn't afford one. I learned a hard lesson when I lost my whole hard drive (and every pet photo on it) circa 2009.

Doing a modified files backup every week is far easier than redownloading/recropping/unstretching/remuxing 3000 TV episodes and 1000 movies in the event my movies drive crashes or the wife ever does an "oopsie".

Sorry for your loss.

----------------------
I have officially retired from sucking at everything I do. Life is much easier now.

My MAME/MESS artwork files: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ABxeKgNIrKlIsyck7dx4V241NFQDWAF4
Related screen shots: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1U5IbvbVzYW97PuOOQuocvZFE_YJz7WIn

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: I didn't even get mad. new [Re: Traso]
#357965 - 08/24/16 10:22 AM

> If I wasn't in love with her.....well, that's why I don't live with nobodae.

I would have thought comments like

> I'd strip her the fuck
> down right there and fuck her in the ass.

are why you don't live with anyone.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: I didn't even get mad. new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#358032 - 08/27/16 07:07 AM

> > If I wasn't in love with her.....well, that's why I don't live with nobodae.
>
> I would have thought comments like
>
> > I'd strip her the fuck
> > down right there and fuck her in the ass.
>
> are why you don't live with anyone.

HAHN HAHN HAHN HAHN HAHN. Right??

Thing is, if I was homosexual, that'd be on the fucking table every second! Nobodae'd bat an eye!

To be fair, my eighteen-year-old girlfriend when I was thirty-two was an anal fiend (she was an anal virgin when I met her earlier in that year). Every day when she got home, I'd attack her and fuck her in the ass. As a bonus, she'd void her bladder all over me when she came....repeatedly. (She was in cowgirl position.) Then when I was done, she'd go in the bathroom and sit on a big black dong, and come some more. And she was a semi-petite 5'3''.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 239 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1849