View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

kotsamanidis
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/19/16
Send PM

needing some ArcadeVGA + Mame setup clarification
#357848 - 08/19/16 10:20 AM

Hi everyone, I read through everything on here regarding ArcadeVGA and I'm not sure I completely grasp the whole thing, so before I go spending cash on a monitor, arcadeVGA and new PC to build for it I would really appreciate some clarification to know it'll do what I want it to do.

So my main goal is to get MAME working at a level where I get the least amount of input lag without any screen tearing. I just want the games to run at their native framerates and to have as close to real arcade controller response as possible.

From what I understand ArcadeVGA will output 15khz at native game resolutions to a 15khz CRT monitor, and the resolutions/refresh rate will only work on a monitor that supports them. Am I wrong to assume that the ArcadeVGA will not turn any PC CRT (like a 31khz monitor) into a 15khz display by forcing the signal into it?

Also, would ArcadeVGA (or any hacked ATI GPU) running into a 31khz CRT give me proper input response and no screen tearing/smooth scroling?

And finally if I get a VGA monitor that can sync at 15khz does that mean everything should work correctly? Or does it strictly have to be an RGB/Scart/Arcade monitor?

Thanks so much for any help.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Re: needing some ArcadeVGA + Mame setup clarification new [Re: kotsamanidis]
#357864 - 08/20/16 12:38 AM

I'd say read the BYOAC wiki. Lots will be answered. But maybe tomorrow or so when they're back up and running. In the mean time, read this:

http://easymamecab.mameworld.info/html/monitor1.htm

All that said, I'd say get as large a PC CRT as you can, and run current MAME with at least HLSL. I do, and I have arcade monitors of various sorts.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

Re: needing some ArcadeVGA + Mame setup clarification new [Re: kotsamanidis]
#357874 - 08/20/16 01:35 AM

The ArcadeVGA can only output native 15KHz refresh rates to an arcade monitor like you would find in a real arcade machine.

If you want to go the alternate route with GroovyMAME, CRT_EmuDriver (modified video drivers), and a supported ATI/AMD video card, you still need an arcade monitor.

I've used both setups with my arcade monitor and both have their pluses and minuses. ArcadeVGA is way more plug-and-play and easier to get up and running, but it is more limited because of the built in resolution list. The GroovyMAME/CRT_EmuDriver route is way more configurable and I personally think it gives better results in a lot of cases, but it can be a pain in the ass to get set up and working correctly.

My personal MAME arcade cabinet setup:

Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz (overclocked to 4.5GHz)
8GB DDR3 1600 memory
AMD Radeon HD 7750 video card
Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1
GroovyMAME 0.171
CRT_EmuDriver 2.0
Hantarex Polo 25 arcade monitor (15KHz only)
JPAC (to interface the PC with my cabinet's JAMMA harness)

Note that the JPAC protects my arcade monitor from out-of-range signals while the PC boots into Windows (before the drivers kick in).

The best source of information on running MAME with native resolutions on an arcade monitor is the forums arcadecontrols.com unfortunately, the site just went tits-up a few days ago and it's slowly coming back on-line.

The developer of GroovyMAME/CRT_EmuDriver has forums here as well...
http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/

I should also note that there are LCD monitors on the market with variable refresh rates that are marketed under the G-Sync and FreeSync brand names, but I don't know exactly how variable they are and how well they work with native arcade resolutions and refresh rates. Maybe someone with more knowledge in this area can chime in.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

kotsamanidis
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/19/16
Send PM

Re: needing some ArcadeVGA + Mame setup clarification new [Re: Traso]
#357907 - 08/22/16 12:17 AM

Thanks a lot for the info! I'll read up more about Crt_emudriver also. I just have to make sure I build a setup that meets my needs.

Pages: 1

Frontend Tech + >> Ultimarc
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Andy Warne 
0 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3534