MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

I've got a BOONDOGGLER for you! Blank screen boot from infinity!
#356952 - 07/27/16 07:59 AM

I cloned the drive, and for some reason it wouldn't boot from the clone. See the bios, see the boot menu, HDD and DVD are recognized/show in the list - then blingo, blank. Sits there forever. At some weird-ass resolution of 87khz. I re-connected the original drive, and now the same thing. Changed boot order to DVD. Same thing. F8 no worky, either.

Unplugged and pulled battery. Disconnected all peripherals. (And re-did bios settings, cos it needs special settings to boot.) Still the same.

Connected a monitor simultaneously to the hdmi port. Same on both monitors.

-- Some later things....

- HDD gets hot

- tried to update bios, and I got a continous beeping, which net source says is memory, but memtest won't load from cd either, so......

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

Re: I've got a BOONDOGGLER for you! Blank screen boot from infinity! new [Re: Traso]
#356985 - 07/27/16 10:16 PM

> I cloned the drive, and for some reason it wouldn't boot from the clone. See the
> bios, see the boot menu, HDD and DVD are recognized/show in the list - then blingo,
> blank. Sits there forever. At some weird-ass resolution of 87khz. I re-connected the
> original drive, and now the same thing. Changed boot order to DVD. Same thing. F8 no
> worky, either.
>
> Unplugged and pulled battery. Disconnected all peripherals. (And re-did bios
> settings, cos it needs special settings to boot.) Still the same.
>
> Connected a monitor simultaneously to the hdmi port. Same on both monitors.
>
>
> -- Some later things....
>
> - HDD gets hot
>
> - tried to update bios, and I got a continous beeping, which net source says is
> memory, but memtest won't load from cd either, so......

Does the computer still boot from the original drive?

It's possible that whatever program you used to clone the drive did not clone the partitions correctly. I remember having to make sure the first sector was bootable or something back when I first attempted to clone a drive a few years back.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: I've got a BOONDOGGLER for you! Blank screen boot from infinity! new [Re: Foxhack]
#357000 - 07/28/16 03:24 AM

> Does the computer still boot from the original drive?

Quote:

I re-connected the original drive, and now the same thing. Changed boot order to DVD. Same thing. F8 no worky, either.

There might be something with the current Acronis, though. I tried to clone another machine, and at clone boot operation I get this:

Acronis Loader Fatal Error: boot drive (partition) not found...press enter for OS

And it'll boot into the installation, but stop every time at boot on that message. Net says fix the boot, and I did that, which fixes the issue, but trying to clone again brings it back. Also of note is that in Repair>cmd /scanos says 0 installations. Super fuckin weird.

URherenow
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Re: I've got a BOONDOGGLER for you! Blank screen boot from infinity! new [Re: Traso]
#357014 - 07/28/16 09:58 AM

umm... so did you get it to work now or what? Do you still get beeping? I'd remove the video card (if you have one) and ram, then reinstall them. Chip creep can effect RAM while appearing to be fully seated...

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: I've got a BOONDOGGLER for you! Blank screen boot from infinity! new [Re: URherenow]
#357118 - 07/30/16 12:02 AM

> umm... so did you get it to work now or what? Do you still get beeping? I'd remove the video card (if you have one) and ram, then reinstall them. Chip creep can effect RAM while appearing to be fully seated...

I was thinking of that......I also remembered that my memtest disc requires one stick inserted at a time. So I did that and each stick was testable - but the first one took twice as long to run through a pass - no errors in the pass - I didn't let it run for hours, though. I then reset the bios and tried to boot from the faster-testing stick, and it has. I haven't re-inserted the first stick. So maybe it was that.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
1 registered and 366 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1470