View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

The ALL NEW Windows 10 experience!
#356906 - 07/26/16 02:17 AM

Well, sort of. Basically, I wanted to get in under the close-out of free, and there were these new settings screens pre-initial-boot that said 'no cortana?...etc'. However, I turned about everything off, and most of it was still there on boot. So....I went and got Classic Shell, and did that whole thing. Incidentally, right-clicking on the cortana window yields the option to hide it - BONUS! So of course I did that. And now I have it set up about just how my 7 installation is.

Also, it didn't bork my IE11 settings (Edge still sucks), in particular my bookmarks and favortie. Quick launch is still there, too. Each's contenst in original order. Even WMP is still there! And plays!

I have yet to try any other programs, though....

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/19/10
Loc: The Room Next To You
Send PM

Re: The ALL NEW Windows 10 experience! new [Re: Traso]
#356907 - 07/26/16 02:52 AM

I've disabled the upgrade because you supposedly can't refuse driver updates on Win 10 and in some cases it's caused computers not to boot at all (video drivers that don't work). I'm waiting for feedback from guys like you who have actually tried it before I even consider upgrading. If it works with MAME and Daphne flawlessly over a period of time, I may think about it.

----------------------
I have officially retired from sucking at everything I do. Life is much easier now.

My MAME/MESS artwork files: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ABxeKgNIrKlIsyck7dx4V241NFQDWAF4
Related screen shots: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1U5IbvbVzYW97PuOOQuocvZFE_YJz7WIn

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

Re: The ALL NEW Windows 10 experience! new [Re: Nightvoice]
#356908 - 07/26/16 04:44 AM

> I've disabled the upgrade because you supposedly can't refuse driver updates on Win
> 10 and in some cases it's caused computers not to boot at all (video drivers that
> don't work). I'm waiting for feedback from guys like you who have actually tried it
> before I even consider upgrading. If it works with MAME and Daphne flawlessly over a
> period of time, I may think about it.

I tried 10 for five minutes then went back to 7. I guess it's an okay OS, but I have no reason to upgrade for the moment, and that whole "you can't block drivers / updates" thing really bothers me for the reasons you mentioned. (I did get the digital upgrade license thingy though.)

Maybe in the future when MS decides to get their heads out of their arses and they stop being jackasses about the biggest issues with the OS, I'll switch. Maybe.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: The ALL NEW Windows 10 experience! new [Re: Foxhack]
#356909 - 07/26/16 05:01 AM

> I tried 10 for five minutes then went back to 7. I guess it's an okay OS, but I have no reason to upgrade for the moment, and that whole "you can't block drivers / updates" thing really bothers me for the reasons you mentioned. (I did get the digital upgrade license thingy though.)

> Maybe in the future when MS decides to get their heads out of their arses and they stop being jackasses about the biggest issues with the OS, I'll switch. Maybe.

Well, apparently it's like this: 10 is the last Windows. Windows will be a 'service'. And whatever that might entail, though basically that's because of the mobile market, and the ability to real-time update the tiles in the start menu, etc.

None of which I want. The update thing I'm fine with - as long as it doesn't screw things - which apparently it has. I'm going to set up dual drives, 7 and 10, so I can hop from one to the other - mostly on 7, but on occasion on 10 when I want to fuck with something. I can do a transfer settings any time.

But, yeah, apparently downloading the 10 update gets you in, and you can sit on it forever - which I didn't know till last night, so I would do that with all my machines even if I had no back-up drives.

After an hour or so, there was this notification that popped up asking how I liked 10. I sai, "I want the interfaces of 7 and IE11, but with the security features, etc, of 10 and Edge. Get with it, yo."

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

#356911 - 07/26/16 05:59 AM

> I've disabled the upgrade because you supposedly can't refuse driver updates on Win
> 10 and in some cases it's caused computers not to boot at all (video drivers that
> don't work). I'm waiting for feedback from guys like you who have actually tried it
> before I even consider upgrading. If it works with MAME and Daphne flawlessly over a
> period of time, I may think about it.

I haven't seen any attempts to install NVidia drivers without asking. It's asking right now, in fact.

Well NV's app is asking. I haven't bothered updating because they update it every time a AAA title releases to include "optimizations" specific to that game. Looking at it, it's been a few months and I probably should click the update button, not everything in the notes is those optimizations.

It might automatically update MS stuff. Well, MS stuff that comes with it. I just told it to update Paint.net, but that's a fail, since I had it set to check for a new version on launch and it didn't.

Yeah, gonna update drivers now....

URherenow
Loc: Japan
Send PM

#356926 - 07/26/16 04:25 PM

I've been on 10 since it came out and have never had issues with it. It runs everything I was running on 7, except for the MS home theater stuff. I never really used that anyway...

and I also use classicshell, so my interface is always like 7 was. I see absolutely no reason not to get the upgrade while it's still free.

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#356945 - 07/27/16 02:53 AM

With Win10 Enterprise you can pick and choose updates, but of course it isn't free. With Win10 Pro you can delay updates pretty much indefinitely. With Win10 Home you can stop it from automatically downloading updates by telling it all your Internet connections are metered.

Renegade
Got No Where Else to Go
Reged: 10/01/03
Send PM

#356946 - 07/27/16 03:18 AM

I have a yr old Dell laptop that thru any online window is sloowww as hell. It had win8 on it and no matter what I tried I couldn't get any online window to move with any speed and the fact I hated win8.

So I updated to win10 a couple months ago and it's soooo much better then 8.

I searched online and found out how to turn off cortana completely. Other than that no issues at all except that my browser is still slooww.

Win10 didn't take any of the Dell stuff off, it's still all there so I figured it's probably something to do with their craps for my online slowness. I have 1 gig internet speed and speed tests show it at 972 so I know it's not that.

Anyway thumbs up on win10 over 8.

Only here to annoy...

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: The ALL NEW Windows 10 experience! new [Re: Renegade]
#356953 - 07/27/16 08:59 AM

8's probly fine for touch devices. I have desktops. My first machine was a Dell, and I liked it. I've liked custom-build machines better, and the recent used Acers I've bought have been a headache, one after the after, their bios sucks ass..... I should've built a machine. I may still.....

Lord Nightmare
Speech Synth Berzerker
Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: PA, USA
Send PM

#356955 - 07/27/16 09:29 AM

My (brief) windows 10 experience on this tablet PC:
The HP Touchsmart tm2t-1000 has an ati mobility radeon hd 4550 as well as an intel gma950hd video, and it does some screen multiplexing through an asic (or fpga, unclear from schematics, but whatever it is is completely undocumented)

Windows 10 does have drivers for the 4550, and the gma950hd, but they have no idea about the custom switching thing, so both drivers try to drive the lcd panel at the same time, and the fpga has absolutely no idea how to deal with this, and stops refreshing the screen while it is still powered. This will probably slowly destroy the lcd screen (it does cause some pretty cool looking analog effects though), so I figured out some hackery to boot the laptop with the screen closed to make win10 use the hdmi or vga port instead, and from there rolled back to windows 7.

At least the win 7 license key is now digitally entitled to upgrade to win 10 in the future, so if I can ever figure out how to untangle that driver mess (apparently hacked drivers are a thing, see http://leshcatlabs.net/) I should be able to upgrade to win 10 later without paying $199.

(NOTE: I have installed win 10 upgrade without problems on five other PCs, so it is mostly 'obscure custom hardware drivers' which are being an upgrade problem from what I've seen so far.)

LN

"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"

Robbbert
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

#356956 - 07/27/16 10:36 AM

-

Foxhack
Furry guy
Send PM

Re: The ALL NEW Windows 10 experience! new [Re: Robbbert]
#356980 - 07/27/16 08:32 PM

> > Well, sort of. Basically, I wanted to get in under the close-out of free, and there
> > were these new settings screens pre-initial-boot that said 'no cortana?...etc'.
> > However, I turned about everything off, and most of it was still there on boot.
> > So....I went and got Classic Shell, and did that whole thing. Incidentally,
> > right-clicking on the cortana window yields the option to hide it - BONUS! So of
> > course I did that. And now I have it set up about just how my 7 installation is.
> >
>
> I sacrificed 2 spare win7 desktop pcs that had a corporate license, one a 32 bit, the
> other a 64 bit.
>
> The 32 bit went through like a dream via windows update. One program got disabled and
> it turned out support from the original company had ended 5 years ago, so no issue
> there.
>
> The 64 bit would not update via windows update, it seems WU was stuffed. So I went to
> the Microsoft site and attempted to update from there. It just kept going around in
> circles until I realised you have to wait a while before clicking on the download
> button. Once that was done it started doing its stuff, until it reached 99% and would
> not go further. A search revealed I needed to disable the faulty WU, and after about
> 10 minutes it came back to life. After that, no issues.
>
> So now I have 2 win10 machines, but haven't really played around with them much as
> yet.

Uh... I thought corporate licenses weren't eligible for the upgrade.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

#356995 - 07/28/16 01:34 AM

> Uh... I thought corporate licenses weren't eligible for the upgrade.

Per-seat licenses where you have a floating license for a given number of users irrespective of the number of machines are ineligible for the free update. Enterprise edition is also ineligible for the free update. Per-machine Pro licenses are all eligible for the free upgrade.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Send PM

Re: The ALL NEW Windows 10 experience! new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#357046 - 07/28/16 08:29 PM

> > Uh... I thought corporate licenses weren't eligible for the upgrade.
>
> Per-seat licenses where you have a floating license for a given number of users
> irrespective of the number of machines are ineligible for the free update. Enterprise
> edition is also ineligible for the free update. Per-machine Pro licenses are all
> eligible for the free upgrade.

He said, "I sacrificed 2 spare win7 desktop pcs that had a corporate license". Doesn't that fall under Enterprise?

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

#357058 - 07/29/16 12:53 AM

> He said, "I sacrificed 2 spare win7 desktop pcs that had a corporate license".
> Doesn't that fall under Enterprise?

A lot of businesses use Windows Pro on desktops, and per-seat licensing is actually fairly rare. Sometimes OEM Windows licenses are used with leased PCs replaced on a schedule. Sometimes businesses buy licenses in bulk for a certain number of PCs with each installation consuming one license and becoming tied to the hardware once it's activated. Either of these would quality for Windows 10 upgrade.

As for why per-seat licensing is rare, I guess people just like the idea of paying for a piece of software once and being able to use it forever, even if in practice they can't because the hardware gets replaced. And no-one can be bothered doing the cost/benefit analysis to work out whether a per-seat license would be cheaper. You've really got to have multiple PCs per employee and replace them fairly frequently before it becomes worthwhile anyway (at least that was the case last time I checked(.

jonwil
Lurker
Reged: 10/06/03
Send PM

#357129 - 07/30/16 06:52 AM

I used instructions I found online to install Windows 10 in a disk image without upgrading Windows 7. Basically I was able to get Windows 10 to boot and activate via a VHD file stored on an external HDD and now I get to keep Windows 7 but can upgrade to Windows 10 any time and it wont cost me a cent (since my hardware and Windows 7 key are now in the Microsoft database as being able to activate for Windows 10)

Andrew
Girl Watcher
Loc: Boston, Mass.
Send PM

#357301 - 08/04/16 02:20 AM

> I have yet to try any other programs, though

More of a shortcut than a program, but my favorite so far is Windows key + x.

--
A story of one man and his obsession with the female anatomy.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
1 registered and 373 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2167