MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Assemble the team, we got a red ball!
#356882 - 07/25/16 06:52 AM Attachment: berzerkKill.png 637 KB (0 downloads)

I did not know these facts until today. I get all my best intel from the Venture Bros.

Quote:

Berzerk is the first video game known to have coincided with the death of players. In January 1981, Jeff Dailey made the Berzerk top-ten list after posting a high score of 16,660 points and suddenly died of a heart attack at age 19 a few seconds after the game was over.[citation needed] One year later in October 1982, Peter Burkowski entered Friar Tuck's Game Room in Calumet City, Illinois and made the Berzerk top-ten list twice in fifteen minutes. Astonishingly, he collapsed just a few seconds after the game was over, before dying of a heart attack at age 18. His high scores are unknown.

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Pi
Allergic to life
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Room 101
Send PM

Re: Assemble the team, we got a red ball! new [Re: GatKong]
#356892 - 07/25/16 05:31 PM

> I did not know these facts until today. I get all my best intel from the Venture
> Bros.
>
> Berzerk is the first video game known to have coincided with the death of players.
> In January 1981, Jeff Dailey made the Berzerk top-ten list after posting a high score
> of 16,660 points and suddenly died of a heart attack at age 19 a few seconds after
> the game was over.[citation needed] One year later in October 1982, Peter Burkowski
> entered Friar Tuck's Game Room in Calumet City, Illinois and made the Berzerk top-ten
> list twice in fifteen minutes. Astonishingly, he collapsed just a few seconds after
> the game was over, before dying of a heart attack at age 18. His high scores are
> unknown.

Judging that there are no statistics of heart attack for ages before 20 because they are meaningless (only 0.6% of population between 20-39 yo would have at least one in the study I've just read), and that the first example has a [citation needed] and the second no citation either, I'd call shenanigans and just another urban legend copypasted from site to site.

And, if the game is so deadly, there should be lots of mamers being still killed.

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.
I can't get it right / Get it right / Since I met you...

JWJr
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/15/04
Send PM

Re: Assemble the team, we got a red ball! new [Re: Pi]
#356893 - 07/25/16 06:24 PM

> > I did not know these facts until today. I get all my best intel from the Venture
> > Bros.
> >
> > Berzerk is the first video game known to have coincided with the death of players.
> > In January 1981, Jeff Dailey made the Berzerk top-ten list after posting a high
> score
> > of 16,660 points and suddenly died of a heart attack at age 19 a few seconds after
> > the game was over.[citation needed] One year later in October 1982, Peter Burkowski
> > entered Friar Tuck's Game Room in Calumet City, Illinois and made the Berzerk
> top-ten
> > list twice in fifteen minutes. Astonishingly, he collapsed just a few seconds after
> > the game was over, before dying of a heart attack at age 18. His high scores are
> > unknown.
>
> Judging that there are no statistics of heart attack for ages before 20 because they
> are meaningless (only 0.6% of population between 20-39 yo would have at least one in
> the study I've just read), and that the first example has a [citation needed] and the
> second no citation either, I'd call shenanigans and just another urban legend
> copypasted from site to site.
>
> And, if the game is so deadly, there should be lots of mamers being still killed.

I've always been suspicious of the tripe-6's in the middle of the score as well. And, to be honest, "16,660" doesn't make the Top Ten on an oft-played Berzerk.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: Assemble the team, we got a red ball! new [Re: GatKong]
#356894 - 07/25/16 06:57 PM

> I did not know these facts until today. I get all my best intel from the Venture
> Bros.
>
> Berzerk is the first video game known to have coincided with the death of players.
> In January 1981, Jeff Dailey made the Berzerk top-ten list after posting a high score
> of 16,660 points and suddenly died of a heart attack at age 19 a few seconds after
> the game was over.[citation needed] One year later in October 1982, Peter Burkowski
> entered Friar Tuck's Game Room in Calumet City, Illinois and made the Berzerk top-ten
> list twice in fifteen minutes. Astonishingly, he collapsed just a few seconds after
> the game was over, before dying of a heart attack at age 18. His high scores are
> unknown.

Check out Keith's investigation into these urban legends;
http://allincolorforaquarter.blogspot.com/2013/01/video-game-related-deaths.html

- Stiletto

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Re: Assemble the team, we got a red ball! new [Re: Stiletto]
#356896 - 07/25/16 10:42 PM

> > I did not know these facts until today. I get all my best intel from the Venture
> > Bros.
> >
> > Berzerk is the first video game known to have coincided with the death of players.
> > In January 1981, Jeff Dailey made the Berzerk top-ten list after posting a high
> score
> > of 16,660 points and suddenly died of a heart attack at age 19 a few seconds after
> > the game was over.[citation needed] One year later in October 1982, Peter Burkowski
> > entered Friar Tuck's Game Room in Calumet City, Illinois and made the Berzerk
> top-ten
> > list twice in fifteen minutes. Astonishingly, he collapsed just a few seconds after
> > the game was over, before dying of a heart attack at age 18. His high scores are
> > unknown.
>
> Check out Keith's investigation into these urban legends;
> http://allincolorforaquarter.blogspot.com/2013/01/video-game-related-deaths.html
>
> - Stiletto

He could at least try to find an image of this supposed original Fire One cabinet design with a rounded base. Its existence would make his "in the know" source a bit more credible.

URherenow
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Re: Assemble the team, we got a red ball! new [Re: Pi]
#356898 - 07/25/16 11:10 PM

> And, if the game is so deadly, there should be lots of mamers being still killed.

No... that particular machine. There's an urban legend (that is mostly verifiable) about a tree on NAF Atsugi base that is called "the ghost tree". It's supposedly haunted or something because the last 2 people that tried to cut it down died. Nobody will touch it now.

Not everybody who tries to cut a tree down dies.

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: Assemble the team, we got a red ball! new [Re: TriggerFin]
#356936 - 07/27/16 12:37 AM Attachment: 176604_3721979779721_1597331814_o.jpg 156 KB (0 downloads)

> He could at least try to find an image of this supposed original Fire One cabinet
> design with a rounded base. Its existence would make his "in the know" source a bit
> more credible.

how's this? I think what they mean is the rounded edges that are front-facing.

- Stiletto

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Re: Assemble the team, we got a red ball! new [Re: Stiletto]
#356940 - 07/27/16 01:39 AM

> > He could at least try to find an image of this supposed original Fire One cabinet
> > design with a rounded base. Its existence would make his "in the know" source a bit
> > more credible.
>
> how's this? I think what they mean is the rounded edges that are front-facing.
>
> - Stiletto

Good cabinet. Keep the players looking at their own screen. I wish I tried this out with my grandma.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 129 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1684