MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Stranger Things & new Star Trek series
#356714 - 07/21/16 01:11 AM

2 big wins for Netflix. Also bringing all the old ST series to over 100 new countries so good for the world.

grog
Reged: 09/06/11
Send PM

Re: Stranger Things & new Star Trek series new [Re: Smitdogg]
#356720 - 07/21/16 02:21 AM

i hope the new series casting is better than they did with star trek enterprise (i thought the captain and the doctor were not too bad, but couldnt like any of the others; i patiently watched every episode and tried my hardest)

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

#356724 - 07/21/16 04:45 AM

> 2 big wins for Netflix. Also bringing all the old ST series to over 100 new countries
> so good for the world.

Oh, is it going to be on Netflix? I was going to avoid it because CBS was putting it on their thing.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: Stranger Things & new Star Trek series new [Re: TriggerFin]
#356726 - 07/21/16 05:34 AM

> > 2 big wins for Netflix. Also bringing all the old ST series to over 100 new
> countries
> > so good for the world.
>
> Oh, is it going to be on Netflix? I was going to avoid it because CBS was putting it
> on their thing.

Technically, yes it will be on Netflix too, but there's a catch:
http://geekandsundry.com/netflix-to-stream-cbs-new-star-trek-series-but-theres-a-catch/

- Stiletto

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Re: Stranger Things & new Star Trek series new [Re: grog]
#356728 - 07/21/16 06:00 AM

> i hope the new series casting is better than they did with star trek enterprise (i
> thought the captain and the doctor were not too bad, but couldnt like any of the
> others; i patiently watched every episode and tried my hardest)

I missed the Enterprise episode where the Observer briefed Sam Beckett on his role as Cap'n of the Enterprise, so it was hard to keep up with the series. Personally, it was just too long a leap. I gave up hope that he'd ever solve the dilemma on this one.

URherenow
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Re: Stranger Things & new Star Trek series new [Re: Stiletto]
#356736 - 07/21/16 09:41 AM

did they bury the lead or am I just too tired? What's the catch?

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

#356737 - 07/21/16 09:41 AM

> > > 2 big wins for Netflix. Also bringing all the old ST series to over 100 new
> > countries
> > > so good for the world.
> >
> > Oh, is it going to be on Netflix? I was going to avoid it because CBS was putting
> it
> > on their thing.
>
> Technically, yes it will be on Netflix too, but there's a catch:
> http://geekandsundry.com/netflix-to-stream-cbs-new-star-trek-series-but-theres-a-catch/
>
> - Stiletto

Well, maybe I'll move to Bolivia once in a while. I certainly won't be paying CBS anything.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

Re: Stranger Things & new Star Trek series new [Re: URherenow]
#356738 - 07/21/16 09:43 AM

> did they bury the lead or am I just too tired? What's the catch?

The catch is that it's on Netflix, except for users in the US, who can pay CBS, and Canada, who have no legal option.

EDIT: Canada, who have NO legal option. I left the word out.

Edited by TriggerFin (07/21/16 04:08 PM)

URherenow
Loc: Japan
Send PM

#356741 - 07/21/16 09:48 AM

Ok... that answers that one. I was too tired to catch that. Second glance, I saw the 24 hour later bit, shrugged, and figured that was the catch. But... not included in the US or Canada? I swear, media is the cause of the piracy that they loathe.. SMH

Edit: and you'd figure that the jump in pricing for US could afford them more deals such as including this. But I guess you'd be wrong. August 4th, my subscription will be cancelled. Screw 'em.

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#356743 - 07/21/16 01:18 PM

I don't believe this catch and it wasn't in the first article I read about it. I'm not saying that as in 'I don't believe this!', I'm saying literally I think the article Stiletto posted is incorrect. I'll wait for confirmation from Netflix themself. There's no way in hell this is true. We would have to burn buildings down.

Qun Mang
Legend of Link
Reged: 12/12/03
Loc: Hidden Hyrulian city Lurkopolis
Send PM

#356745 - 07/21/16 03:26 PM

> Edit: and you'd figure that the jump in pricing for US could afford them more deals
> such as including this. But I guess you'd be wrong. August 4th, my subscription will
> be cancelled. Screw 'em.

There are many things I would blame Netflix for, but this isn't one of them. I highly doubt CBS is willing to allow the show on any network but theirs in the US/Canada in order to force people on to their own streaming service. I really hope that their US/Canada viewership on this show is dismal, and the worldwide numbers so high so that they will see that people want the show but not their streaming service.

However, I can also see them just canceling the series no matter the worldwide numbers if the US/Canada numbers don't hold up. "It must be the show, not our wonderfully thought-out decision to only include it on our own streaming service (where available) to force people to pony up an additional $6/mo. For one show."

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

Re: Stranger Things & new Star Trek series new [Re: Qun Mang]
#356752 - 07/21/16 04:11 PM

> However, I can also see them just canceling the series no matter the worldwide
> numbers if the US/Canada numbers don't hold up. "It must be the show, not our
> wonderfully thought-out decision to only include it on our own streaming service
> (where available) to force people to pony up an additional $6/mo. For one show."

I try to avoid watching anything on CBS now because of this service. I'd heard previously that the first episode would be aired, then everything else would be exclusive to "All Access."

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#356754 - 07/21/16 04:53 PM

If they can't figure out how to make their money with ads and selling shows to netflix and cable stations then they are just going to infuriate America. It might be a new concept for these micro-subscriptions but it's already clear how hated it is and that 1 station has no business selling a pay service for 1 channel or holding Star Trek hostage. It's an outrage of both greed and stupidity. Honestly burn their fucking building down. Burn the goddamn CBS home office to ash (that's if this is true - I still think that article is wrong and all Netflix subscribers will have the new Star Trek eps).

StilettoAdministrator
Send PM

#356757 - 07/21/16 06:14 PM

> I don't believe this catch and it wasn't in the first article I read about it. I'm
> not saying that as in 'I don't believe this!', I'm saying literally I think the
> article Stiletto posted is incorrect. I'll wait for confirmation from Netflix
> themself. There's no way in hell this is true. We would have to burn buildings down.

Go burn those buildings, Smitty. Here's the joint press release:
http://www.cbscorporation.com/2016/07/ne...ound-the-world/
https://media.netflix.com/en/press-relea...round-the-world

Quote:

In the U.S., the new “Star Trek” will launch with a special premiere episode on the CBS Television Network in January 2017. The premiere episode and all subsequent episodes will then be available in the United States exclusively on CBS All Access, the Network’s digital subscription video on demand and live streaming service.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

- Stiletto

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#356758 - 07/21/16 06:16 PM

Someone with nothing to lose should burn it.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#356763 - 07/21/16 06:52 PM

That's false advertising!!!!

People will get them from USENET or other means.

If the show is really that good, of course people can just wait until the seasonal Blu-Ray retail discs ship as well

Other than that CBS will get nothing from me.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Stranger Things & new Star Trek series new [Re: B2K24]
#356764 - 07/21/16 06:59 PM

Yeah I'm going to torrent the dogshit out of this and I'm pissed at Netflix for not fighting them on this and letting them shit on America.

StilettoAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Stranger Things & new Star Trek series new [Re: B2K24]
#356809 - 07/22/16 07:33 PM

> That's false advertising!!!!

I don't get how it is since they're being up front about who has the rights to offer the shows in which country. It's definitely disappointing though.

- Stiletto

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 99 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2013