MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Bryan McPhail is back with completely redone Operation Wolf copy protection emulation
#356211 - 07/04/16 05:37 PM

Bryan McPhail is back with completely redone Operation Wolf copy protection emulation!

See here for the full technical write-up: http://www.bryanmcphail.com/wp/?p=794

It's been added to MAME git as of July 2nd and will be in the next MAME release: https://github.com/mamedev/mame/commit/630c226d3c70395b97ea89331ca9439bf8d786df
(Thanks to Vas Crabb for the assist )

- Stiletto

Edited by Stiletto (07/04/16 05:41 PM)

Masked Ninja
Mame Fan
Reged: 09/12/09
Loc: Spain
Send PM

Re: Bryan McPhail is back with completely redone Operation Wolf copy protection emulation new [Re: Stiletto]
#356213 - 07/04/16 08:19 PM

Awesome

gamez fan
Reged: 02/23/13
Send PM

Re: Bryan McPhail is back with completely redone Operation Wolf copy protection emulation new [Re: Stiletto]
#356215 - 07/04/16 08:47 PM

Great news and some damn fine work by all concerned!!.

Arcade Addict

agard
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/04/13
Send PM

#356228 - 07/05/16 01:17 PM

Nice work on that. was it hard protection? THANKS

The Iron Goat
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/02/11
Send PM

#356233 - 07/05/16 06:24 PM

More like Brian McSuccess, amirite?

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: Bryan McPhail is back with completely redone Operation Wolf copy protection emulation new [Re: The Iron Goat]
#356234 - 07/05/16 06:42 PM

> More like... amirite?

Don't be that guy.

- Stiletto

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: Bryan McPhail is back with completely redone Operation Wolf copy protection emulation new [Re: agard]
#356235 - 07/05/16 06:55 PM

> Nice work on that. was it hard protection? THANKS

It was really easy, actually, that's why nobody had managed to do it for over a decade and a half.

Masked Ninja
Mame Fan
Reged: 09/12/09
Loc: Spain
Send PM

#356270 - 07/07/16 10:24 PM

I tried the game in MameFX0.175.1 and continues with errors in this topic.
In the final stretch of the game, helicopters are moving too fast.
In the second loop, the boss at the stage of the jungle does not appear.
Perhaps there is something more

edcosta
15khz user
Reged: 05/25/07
Send PM

Re: Bryan McPhail is back with completely redone Operation Wolf copy protection emulation new [Re: Masked Ninja]
#356295 - 07/08/16 08:51 PM

> I tried the game in MameFX0.175.1 and continues with errors in this topic.
> In the final stretch of the game, helicopters are moving too fast.
> In the second loop, the boss at the stage of the jungle does not appear.
> Perhaps there is something more

noticied here too...

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: Bryan McPhail is back with completely redone Operation Wolf copy protection emulation new [Re: agard]
#356300 - 07/08/16 10:13 PM

>Nice work on that. was it hard protection?

More like being fortunate that a prototype Taito pcb had been found earlier this year as Haze mentioned in his blog http://mamedev.emulab.it/haze/2016/04/01/a-wolf-in-prototype-clothing/. Emulation improvements of the parent rom set (ie: actual release of game) would not be possible without a particular Taito pcb that was found and purchased in Hungary.

Referring back to the text from Haze's blog entry....

--
April 1, 2016

What remains to be seen is if this prototype gives us enough information to improve our protection simulation on the original game. Eventually we would like to be able to dump the C-Chips and emulate the protection properly, as a CPU running the protection code, but right now we still don’t have a viable method for doing that,
--

..it might appear that the C-chip is still winning in some parts of the game play unless someone can come up with a method of getting rom data from the C-Chip.

Mish
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/23/04
Send PM

Re: Bryan McPhail is back with completely redone Operation Wolf copy protection emulation new [Re: Masked Ninja]
#356304 - 07/08/16 10:49 PM

Hello - thank you for the feedback! Do you have any more details on these points (by 2nd loop do you mean after the game is completed once, or just second time you play level 2).

The helicopter speed sounds strange as the c-chip really doesn't have anything to do with enemy behaviour, just their spawning. Do you know if the prototype set also has fast helicopters?

Bryan

Mish
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Bryan McPhail is back with completely redone Operation Wolf copy protection emulation new [Re: gregf]
#356305 - 07/08/16 10:53 PM

Yes, absolutely the prototype set was the key - there is still no way to dump or understand the real c-chip. However, I'm 99% confident the prototype does match the behaviour of the c-chip.

(I still have 3 physical c-chips in my arcade spares box - maybe one day...)

gamez fan
Send PM

#356306 - 07/08/16 11:06 PM

Quote:

I tried the game in MameFX0.175.1 and continues with errors in this topic.
In the final stretch of the game, helicopters are moving too fast.
In the second loop, the boss at the stage of the jungle does not appear.
Perhaps there is something more

I can honestly say i've ran into no issues with Op Wolf after the addition of the new protection routines all of the following seem to be triggering correctly when playing the 1st loop of the game from what i've read they dont trigger on the 2nd loop anyway.??

The random event enemy has found you triggers as it should on 1st loop
The boss at the end of the Jungle level triggers as it should on 1st loop
The explosion at the end of level 3 triggers as it should on 1st loop

When it comes to the helicopters later in the game keep in mind your on a plane maybe their meant to zoom past you quickly..??

Arcade Addict

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: Bryan McPhail is back with completely redone Operation Wolf copy protection emulation new [Re: Mish]
#356309 - 07/09/16 12:29 AM

>Yes, absolutely the prototype set was the key - there is still no way to dump or
>understand the real c-chip. However, I'm 99% confident the prototype does match the
>behaviour of the c-chip.

Good to know that particular pcb did help improve game play.

>I still have 3 physical c-chips in my arcade spares box - maybe one day...)

A couple years earlier, Smit had posted about possibly another prototype Taito pcb being found Bonze Adventure (World, prototype)

--
Bonze Adventure proto
08/13/14

Silvio Grazini dumped what appears to be a Bonze Adventure prototype or test location version PCB.
--

It would be great if that prototype set can help fix up bugs in Bonze Adventure.

src/mame/drivers/asuka.cpp

http://mametesters.org/view.php?id=205
http://mametesters.org/view.php?id=377

That would definitely make stephh 's day being able to play Bonze Adventure once again in case bugs can be fixed.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: Bryan McPhail is back with completely redone Operation Wolf copy protection emulation new [Re: gregf]
#356313 - 07/09/16 02:46 AM

> Bonze Adventure proto
> 08/13/14
>
> Silvio Grazini dumped what appears to be a Bonze Adventure prototype or test location
> version PCB.
> --
>
> It would be great if that prototype set can help fix up bugs in Bonze Adventure.
>

the Bonze Adventure prototype is already fully protected, it's very, very close to the release code and had a c-chip etc. It is of no use in improving the simulation for the original.

Mish
MAME Fan
Send PM

#356808 - 07/22/16 03:59 PM

I found and fixed the bug the level 2 boss not appearing the second time. I don't think there is anything wrong with the helicopters though.

gamez fan
Send PM

Re: Bryan McPhail is back with completely redone Operation Wolf copy protection emulation new [Re: Mish]
#356810 - 07/22/16 09:12 PM

Quote:

I found and fixed the bug the level 2 boss not appearing the second time. I don't think there is anything wrong with the helicopters though.

Like many other MAME users Operation Wolf happens to one of my favorites,so i'd just like to say thanks for taking the time to improve the emulation and in turn preservation of this classic game.

Arcade Addict

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 312 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3385