MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Does MAME somehow take the monitor you're using in to account?....
#355756 - 06/17/16 09:19 AM Attachment: cclimber examples.png 1119 KB (0 downloads)

The image on the left is an alt+F4 snap taken on my 4:3 CRT displaying at 1280x1024. It looks 'clean', even viewed on my 32" LCD.

The right snippett image is on my 32"LCD displaying at 1920x1080 (MAME is set for 16:9, so the games display properly). (Alt+F4 images paste as black on this rig, so I had to take a picture the old-fashioned way.)

Setting the LCD to display at SXGA changes it a little. The rigs are the same hardware. Is it just the LCD? As far as I know, there's no hardware or software scaling going on...

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

Re: Does MAME somehow take the monitor you're using in to account?.... new [Re: Traso]
#355837 - 06/19/16 07:00 PM

> The image on the left is an alt+F4 snap taken on my 4:3 CRT displaying at 1280x1024.
> It looks 'clean', even viewed on my 32" LCD.
>
> The right snippett image is on my 32"LCD displaying at 1920x1080 (MAME is set for
> 16:9, so the games display properly). (Alt+F4 images paste as black on this rig, so I
> had to take a picture the old-fashioned way.)
>
> Setting the LCD to display at SXGA changes it a little. The rigs are the same
> hardware. Is it just the LCD? As far as I know, there's no hardware or software
> scaling going on...

It doesn't, I don't think. Your LCD display may also be incompatible with whatever video resolution or refresh rate you're trying to output.

Also, LCD monitors DO have hardware scaling built in, depending on the model. Mine does, it's a pain in the ass, so I have to set things manually once in a while.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

MAME is not sentient [nt] new [Re: Traso]
#355842 - 06/19/16 09:09 PM

yet

LEVEL-4

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Re: Does MAME somehow take the monitor you're using in to account?.... new [Re: Foxhack]
#355847 - 06/20/16 03:13 AM

> It doesn't, I don't think. Your LCD display may also be incompatible with whatever
> video resolution or refresh rate you're trying to output.
>
> Also, LCD monitors DO have hardware scaling built in, depending on the model. Mine
> does, it's a pain in the ass, so I have to set things manually once in a while.

I remember having a CRT that used to do that. Out of range and some other crap.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

Mr Ric
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/25/05
Send PM

Re: Does MAME somehow take the monitor you're using in to account?.... new [Re: Traso]
#355857 - 06/21/16 12:47 AM

> The image on the left is an alt+F4 snap taken on my 4:3 CRT displaying at 1280x1024.
> It looks 'clean', even viewed on my 32" LCD.
>
> The right snippett image is on my 32"LCD displaying at 1920x1080 (MAME is set for
> 16:9, so the games display properly). (Alt+F4 images paste as black on this rig, so I
> had to take a picture the old-fashioned way.)
>
> Setting the LCD to display at SXGA changes it a little. The rigs are the same
> hardware. Is it just the LCD? As far as I know, there's no hardware or software
> scaling going on...

Doesn't setting...

keep aspect 1
aspects auto

display the proper aspect ratios?

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Does MAME somehow take the monitor you're using in to account?.... new [Re: Dullaron]
#355862 - 06/21/16 06:32 AM

> I remember having a CRT that used to do that. Out of range and some other crap.

That's not the same thing. Timings not supported by any particular monitor will produce that image message. That's only in digital multisyncs, by the way.

Monitors, and TVs, for a long while have supported various resolutions, but their native resolution is more likely to produce an accurate, non-artifacted image. In this case, that is 1360x768, but the image displays the same: the lines of the shadow mask show up intermittently as squiggles....

Again, Alt+printscreen (F4, jeez.....) pastes to Paint as a black image....

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Does MAME somehow take the monitor you're using in to account?.... new [Re: Mr Ric]
#355863 - 06/21/16 06:41 AM

> Doesn't setting...
>
> keep aspect 1
> aspects auto
>
> display the proper aspect ratios?

I don't know what you're asking, but those parametres are stock in the ini.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

#355864 - 06/21/16 07:31 AM

> > I remember having a CRT that used to do that. Out of range and some other crap.
>
>
> That's not the same thing. Timings not supported by any particular monitor will
> produce that image message. That's only in digital multisyncs, by the way.
>
> Monitors, and TVs, for a long while have supported various resolutions, but their
> native resolution is more likely to produce an accurate, non-artifacted image. In
> this case, that is 1360x768, but the image displays the same: the lines of the shadow
> mask show up intermittently as squiggles....
>
> Again, Alt+printscreen (F4, jeez.....) pastes to Paint as a black image....

Try using https://getsharex.com/, it's a decent screen capture program that can get stuff other programs cannot.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Does MAME somehow take the monitor you're using in to account?.... new [Re: Foxhack]
#355897 - 06/23/16 12:12 AM

> Try using https://getsharex.com/, it's a decent screen capture program that can get stuff other programs cannot.

I recalled I somewhat neglected your last before: between video drivers and monitor aspect settings, there isn't a difference in output. They just seem to be addressing the size of the image in the display field.

In any case, a black image is the result with ShareX, too. I'm not surprised. I am boggled. My theatre rig has the same PC hardware, is also displaying at 1080p (plasma TV), and does not have/give the issues above. There must be something wonky with that other TV....though I'm hardpressed as to how it could affect the snap output...

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Note that the black, or blank?, snap happens in only MAME.... new [Re: Traso]
#355959 - 06/26/16 02:35 AM

I tried another fresh install of baseline, and still the blank Alt+printsreen snap.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 417 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1980