View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Brian Kendig
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/02/12
Send PM

GLSL is choppy on Skylake PC running Linux
#355690 - 06/15/16 05:20 AM

I just built a Skylake-based PC, with an i3 6100 3.7GHz processor with Intel HD 530 graphics, and 8GB RAM. I put a vanilla installation of Ubuntu 16.04 onto it. The display is 1024x1280 (vertical).

MAME 0.160 runs well on it, but when I use the GLSL settings from https://www.mameau.com/mame-glsl-shaders-setup/, video and audio becomes choppy. I'd think this processor and Intel HD 530 graphics should be able to handle GLSL without problems. Is that an incorrect assumption, or are there particular configuration settings that could especially slow it down?

(Or would updating to a newer MAME help? I'm surprised that the latest Ubuntu MAME package is 0.160.)

SoltanGris42
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/16/13
Send PM

Re: GLSL is choppy on Skylake PC running Linux new [Re: Brian Kendig]
#355693 - 06/15/16 07:42 AM

> I just built a Skylake-based PC, with an i3 6100 3.7GHz processor with Intel HD 530
> graphics, and 8GB RAM. I put a vanilla installation of Ubuntu 16.04 onto it. The
> display is 1024x1280 (vertical).
>
> MAME 0.160 runs well on it, but when I use the GLSL settings from
> https://www.mameau.com/mame-glsl-shaders-setup/, video and audio becomes choppy. I'd
> think this processor and Intel HD 530 graphics should be able to handle GLSL without
> problems. Is that an incorrect assumption, or are there particular configuration
> settings that could especially slow it down?
>
> (Or would updating to a newer MAME help? I'm surprised that the latest Ubuntu MAME
> package is 0.160.)

I don't know what is wrong, but something is. The CRT-geom shader that you're using is among the fastest crt type shaders out there. It runs at full speed at higher resolutions than you're running on older and slower intel graphics.

My guess is that you need to look into your drivers. I don't know anything about skylake graphics and 16.04, but there is probably something wrong there.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#355697 - 06/15/16 04:27 PM

Do glxinfo and verify that you have hardware OpenGL acceleration. If you do, than it's possible you're running at a high enough resolution where the shaders overwhelm the Intel integrated graphics. Anything 1080P or below should be OK if you don't do stupid things with -prescale though.

Brian Kendig
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/02/12
Send PM

Re: GLSL is choppy on Skylake PC running Linux new [Re: SoltanGris42]
#355713 - 06/16/16 02:42 AM

Thank you both for the tips! I think I've figured out the problem, and I have a workaround, but not the best solution yet.

I've mounted this monitor sideways in an arcade cabinet, and I've set the Ubuntu displays control panel to rotate counterclockwise, so the Ubuntu desktop shows up properly - tall and narrow. But when I start a game in Mame with GLSL turned on, it's choppy. If I go into the Ubuntu displays control panel and set the rotation back to normal, then Mame runs nice and smoothly (though sideways).

So the workaround is to leave Ubuntu set to normal rotation (which makes the desktop sideways) and turn on rotation in Mame; this works fine and keeps the animation and sound smooth.

Since I'm not using this as a desktop computer, I guess I can live with a sideways desktop. :-) But it would be nice if I could get OpenGL acceleration working in Ubuntu with a rotated display, or if I could tell the hardware that the display is rotated.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#355777 - 06/17/16 04:32 PM

> I've mounted this monitor sideways in an arcade cabinet, and I've set the Ubuntu
> displays control panel to rotate counterclockwise, so the Ubuntu desktop shows up
> properly - tall and narrow. But when I start a game in Mame with GLSL turned on, it's
> choppy. If I go into the Ubuntu displays control panel and set the rotation back to
> normal, then Mame runs nice and smoothly (though sideways).

Ahhh. Yeah, Ubuntu's desktop tends to draw itself with the video card even when games are running, which tends to decrease the performance of the games. I'm not clear why rotating the desktop makes any difference though, that's kind of strange

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Re: GLSL is choppy on Skylake PC running Linux new [Re: R. Belmont]
#355789 - 06/18/16 12:54 AM

I've notieced similar even ten years ago with early thousand nvidia cards. There's something about the rotation that's....harder...for them. It might be a driver thing, but it may also simply be the now-horizontal lines drawn in that orientation.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 400 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2235