Pages: 1

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

Gloves off for the Champ...Ali dead at 74
#355277 - 06/04/16 06:40 AM

Didn't always agree with him, but man could he box.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/sports/muhammad-ali-greatest-all-time-dead-74-n584776

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

JWJr
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/15/04
Send PM

Re: Gloves off for the Champ...Ali dead at 74 new [Re: Bad A Billy]
#355278 - 06/04/16 06:44 AM

Damn damn damn. Always one of my heroes.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Really weird..... new [Re: JWJr]
#355317 - 06/04/16 11:29 PM

Two night ago, I was looking at youtube, and there was a vid of Eastwood and Ali from '69 in the right pane of the page. I watched it and was interested to see how smart he was (though he said in the video that he wasn't that smart).

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Really not..... new [Re: Traso]
#355321 - 06/05/16 04:20 AM

> Two night ago, I was looking at youtube, and there was a vid of Eastwood and Ali from
> '69 in the right pane of the page. I watched it and was interested to see how smart
> he was (though he said in the video that he wasn't that smart).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

- Stiletto

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Really not..... new [Re: Stiletto]
#355351 - 06/05/16 08:39 PM

> > Two night ago, I was looking at youtube, and there was a vid of Eastwood and Ali from '69 in the right pane of the page. I watched it and was interested to see how smart he was (though he said in the video that he wasn't that smart).

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias
>
> - Stiletto

My life is marked by such coincidences. I have no, and had not implied an, interpretation.

Now what's notable about the coincidences are:

- I have very little exposure to news (what people post here is the most frequent, if I read it).

- I rarely watch documentaries

- I don't watch TV, and never sports (even if I'm at, say like, a bar with my brother the three or four occasions a year, I don't much pay attention to the events on the screens)

- and I don't often look up people (other than actors, and then usually if I'm watching a movie)

It's just an obscure feeling or encountering of information about someone, and then I encounter information about their passing.

lharms
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/07/06
Send PM

Re: Really not..... new [Re: Traso]
#355359 - 06/06/16 01:12 AM

> > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

>
> It's just an obscure feeling or encountering of information about someone, and then I
> encounter information about their passing.

That is *exactly* confirmation bias.

You 'think' about XYZ. Then something *anything* can happen that is tangentially related to XYZ.

I watched a video with Ali in it a couple of weeks ago. Does that mean I am able to see the future? No. It means I was looking at something with him in it. It is purely a coincidence.

I am thinking of buying a particular car. I now see that model car everywhere and oddly in the opposite color I wanted. Does that mean anything? No. It just means I am more keyed up on buying that thing and see that thing. When normally I would just look over it. Our minds have an amazing ability to filter out things that are not relevant. Yet they also key in on things that we are thinking about. They will then try to make connections that do not exist. As everything must make some sort of sense.

You are even self reaffirming that you have these abilities.

I can even make a prediction here based on what the actual science tells us about confirmation bias. You will now dig in deeper. You will attempt to prove it in some way. You are not changing our minds on this. You are only trying to prove it to yourself that you are right. Confirmation bias is a strong thing. Look out for it. It can cause you to make many decisions in life and then double down on them right or wrong. Beware of this tool. It is a powerful mental tool used by salesmen to sell you things. If others know it about it you they can use it to manipulate you.

CGP Grey just came out with a video on how our minds do this. Watch the guy make up a story for being handed a rubrics cube. We assume everything we do is logical and makes sense. We then create a narrative that fits that which may or may not be true.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfYbgdo8e-8

jopezu
bread-train
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: georgia
Send PM

Re: Really not..... new [Re: lharms]
#355368 - 06/06/16 02:14 PM

saw that video a while back. very interesting stuff, and i think it explains some of the familiarity experiences i had with weed. i had no clue that severing the brain connection used to be a medical procedure... what dire circumstances promoted attempting THAT!? yikes. must have been some life-threatening epilepsy.

i learned everything i know from KC

lharms
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Really not..... new [Re: jopezu]
#355377 - 06/06/16 08:52 PM

> saw that video a while back. very interesting stuff, and i think it explains some of
> the familiarity experiences i had with weed. i had no clue that severing the brain
> connection used to be a medical procedure... what dire circumstances promoted
> attempting THAT!? yikes. must have been some life-threatening epilepsy.

Yeah I knew a couple of people that had it that bad where they were considering doing just that. Its pretty debilitating. They have drugs now that help instead of cracking open the skull

I got into these ideas thru NPR funny enough. Just not thru one of their stories about something like this. It was a cross country trip where I heard the same story over and over. It was presented as if the local NPR station had wrote it. That got me into looking into the ways news media is created and presented. Conan makes has some good segments to very nice comedic effect about it. That lead me into what I call 'non news stories'. These are basically press releases from companies presented and written as news, sometimes with videos and pics pre canned to run as-is. That lead me to researching sales techniques. Confirmation bias is a *huge* way that salesman use to convince you that you are making a good decision buying something, or even better *you* decided to buy it and he is 'just helping out'. It is also a way that con men use to bilk people out of money. It is unfortunately dead easy to do once you know the tricks. We even do it to ourselves every day with little things. Like 'i deserve to have that chocolate'. I am by far no expert on this. I just find it interesting.

I once saw my dad who is a pretty good salesman sell a christmas lightbulb on a garagesale to a guy in the middle of the summer. He not only did he convince the guy he needed it but he convinced him that was what he was looking for. The whole box of junk was probably worth 50 cents. He sold that one bulb to the guy for that. If I remember right by the end of the day my dad had sold most of the junk in that box including the box.

URherenow
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Japan
Send PM

whoa there, stop making sense new [Re: lharms]
#355400 - 06/07/16 10:14 AM

This is teh bin

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

Re: Really weird..... new [Re: Traso]
#355424 - 06/08/16 01:02 AM

> Two night ago, I was looking at youtube, and there was a vid of Eastwood and Ali from
> '69 in the right pane of the page. I watched it and was interested to see how smart
> he was (though he said in the video that he wasn't that smart).

You mean the day he was hospitalized due to respiratory illness (a day before he died), when the news was starting to spread through Internet, when the Internet is in the process of making him a hot topic, when YouTube answers to this by showing relevant topics about him but there isn't yet current event information available, that's the time you feel "prescient" about someone's death? I'm sorry to say this but the belief about how prescient you're is directly proportional to how naive you truly are.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

#355470 - 06/08/16 09:55 PM

Deserve isn't a word in my working vocabulary. You might rate something, but that's becuse you have the skills and all. This obviates, 'I've busted my ass doing...so I should have a.....'

This also follows into, 'do I need this?....'. I get something almost strictly when I go looking for it, and even if not, it's something that I'm going to use. Very rarely have I been rubed into buying something just because I thought it was cool, and even then I did intend to use it.

Lastly, as I observe no special occasions, I'm exempt from most nonsense by default.

> I got into these ideas thru NPR funny enough. Just not thru one of their stories about something like this. It was a cross country trip where I heard the same story over and over. It was presented as if the local NPR station had wrote it. That got me into looking into the ways news media is created and presented. Conan makes has some good segments to very nice comedic effect about it. That lead me into what I call 'non news stories'. These are basically press releases from companies presented and written as news, sometimes with videos and pics pre canned to run as-is. That lead me to researching sales techniques. Confirmation bias is a *huge* way that salesman use to convince you that you are making a good decision buying something, or even better *you* decided to buy it and he is 'just helping out'. It is also a way that con men use to bilk people out of money. It is unfortunately dead easy to do once you know the tricks. We even do it to ourselves every day with little things. Like 'i deserve to have that chocolate'. I am by far no expert on this. I just find it interesting.

> I once saw my dad who is a pretty good salesman sell a christmas lightbulb on a garagesale to a guy in the middle of the summer. He not only did he convince the guy he needed it but he convinced him that was what he was looking for. The whole box of junk was probably worth 50 cents. He sold that one bulb to the guy for that. If I remember right by the end of the day my dad had sold most of the junk in that box including the box.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

I say coincidence, and you change it to I meant psychic.... (nt) new [Re: URherenow]
#355471 - 06/08/16 09:56 PM

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

You need to read my response to Stiletto. (nt) new [Re: BIOS-D]
#355472 - 06/08/16 09:58 PM

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Send PM

Life is full of coincidences yet you're the only 'psychic' here... new [Re: Traso]
#355476 - 06/08/16 10:45 PM

...don't blame us if we find coincidences "you find weird" to fill your ego. Yet another convenient escape when things go after they happened.

There are three ways to predict things in this world: by logic, by history or by 'prescient' powers. So far you haven't proved to own any of them, in fact the more you justify yourself the more sociopath and ignorant you show about everything.

lharms
MAME Fan
Send PM

#355498 - 06/09/16 07:30 AM

> Deserve isn't a word in my working vocabulary. You might rate something, but that's
> becuse you have the skills and all. This obviates, 'I've busted my ass doing...so I
> should have a.....'

You missed my point. It is a typical justification people use. My point is people rationalize things. I personally use the 'I feel like...'. Yours seems to be 'I am precedent and saw this coming'

>
> This also follows into, 'do I need this?....'. I get something almost strictly when I
> go looking for it, and even if not, it's something that I'm going to use. Very rarely
> have I been rubed into buying something just because I thought it was cool, and even
> then I did intend to use it.
>
> Lastly, as I observe no special occasions, I'm exempt from most nonsense by default.

Ah 'the best kind of customer' (the number of times I have heard that little gem...). In fact they like to take you on as a special 'challenge'. The customer who does not believe they were manipulated into buying something. You 'came to the conclusion yourself'. Dead easy to sell someone something that thinks they 'need' it. Step one in selling is sell yourself (I am your bud, what are you looking for, etc). Second step is convince you that you came up with the idea of coming in to buy it (you are sure smart about this sort of thing wish I was like that, you sure did your research, most people I know who buy that know what they are doing, etc). Third step close the sale before they back out. If you can close the sale they will after the sale self justify, at worst return it. I also find it terribly hard to believe you have never bought anything on the 'upsale'. Things like 'do you want a cola with that'? You are saying you have never done that? I find that seriously unlikely.

Dont think so? They have terms for it. It is called marketing and sales. Take for example something as simple as bottle of bleach. You have two bottles. One is Clorox. The other is the store generic brand. They are both the exact same price and size. Which one do you naturally pick up and buy? Logically there is probably no difference between the two. In fact they are both probably made in the same factory and most likely the same formula (there is only so many ways to make it). But your brain has been wired and tricked into buying the name brand you even stackrank them (coke > pepsi > shasta). Not only will you tend to pick up the clorox brand. You will self justify that 'well it must be better'.

You dont 'observe' it because you are not supposed to notice it. Marketing is *designed* to be invisible on the subconscious level. People do not like being tricked and will even rationalize it away. When they realize they are being tricked they usually react very badly. Still dont think so? Bet you can fill in many jingles and slogans from different products.

It all plays into and on your confirmation bias that you know what is going on. They are playing a different game and you dont even know you are the ball.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

#355502 - 06/09/16 10:13 AM

> My point is people rationalize things.

Whether people 'rationalize' things, they feel deserving. That's my point.

> Ah 'the best kind of customer' (the number of times I have heard that little gem...)...I also find it terribly hard to believe you have never bought anything on the 'upsale'. Things like 'do you want a cola with that'? You are saying you have never done that? I find that seriously unlikely.

Dude. I don't watch TV/TV content online. I get no ads online. I don't eat fast food; haven't for over two decades. I drink water 99% of the time, and lately a glass of blueberry juice perhaps once daily. I don't even drink when I eat food; I'm hydrated from drinking water all day; I literally foam at the mouth when eating. I don't shop at the regular store. I went out to a furniture store the other day. Most of the guys weren't interested. The one who was knew he couldn't fuck with me, although I think he's a nice guy anyways. I left having bought nothing. The one thing they have that fits enough of my criteria is maybe 95% what I want.

You folks should really go out in public with me. I fucking stomp my walk.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Life is full of coincidences yet you're the only 'psychic' here... new [Re: BIOS-D]
#355503 - 06/09/16 10:16 AM

> There are three ways to predict things in this world: by logic, by history or by 'prescient' powers. So far you haven't proved to own any of them, in fact the more you justify yourself the more sociopath and ignorant you show about everything.

Good. Cos I know it Fucks your head.

lharms
MAME Fan
Send PM

#355505 - 06/09/16 11:06 AM

> Dude. I don't watch TV/TV content online. I get no ads online. I don't eat fast food;
> haven't for over two decades. I drink water 99% of the time, and lately a glass of
> blueberry juice perhaps once daily. I don't even drink when I eat food; I'm hydrated
> from drinking water all day; I literally foam at the mouth when eating. I don't shop
> at the regular store. I went out to a furniture store the other day. Most of the guys
> weren't interested. The one who was knew he couldn't fuck with me, although I think
> he's a nice guy anyways. I left having bought nothing. The one thing they have that
> fits enough of my criteria is maybe 95% what I want.
>
> You folks should really go out in public with me. I fucking stomp my walk.

> Dude. I don't watch TV/TV content online
Again you missed my point. My point is advertising sticks and it works. You probably can still hum songs from commercials when you were a child.

Remember *my* prediction
>> I can even make a prediction here based on what the actual science tells us about confirmation bias. You will now dig in deeper. You will attempt to prove it in some way. You are not changing our minds on this. You are only trying to prove it to yourself that you are right. Confirmation bias is a strong thing.

Your mind is literally trying to protect itself from what it considers is 'bad' knowledge. It will say and/or do anything to do so.

This is you trying to prove it (in a very small way). I too have been into *many* furniture stores and no one even attempted to sell me anything. Usually to get them to sell me anything I have to find them, they have little hustle. Its shocking I know! My point is you are ripe for pickings. Now that I have pointed it out to you, you will be on guard for it. You will now try to assimilate it and say you already had this knowledge. That is your mind trying to assimilate new knowledge that breaks out of the mold that you have taught yourself that only you have that ability. Everyone else is 'sad sack' and you are 'godly'. You have thoroughly convinced yourself of that. Nothing will budge you from that opinion because you do not want to. That is confirmation bias. It is holding you back.

https://xkcd.com/386/
I grow weary of this. I suggest seeing a doctor to work through whatever it is you are doing. You are not going to find the help you need here.

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Send PM

#355514 - 06/09/16 07:45 PM

> Dude. I don't watch TV/TV content online. I get no ads online. I don't eat fast food;
> haven't for over two decades. I drink water 99% of the time, and lately a glass of
> blueberry juice perhaps once daily. I don't even drink when I eat food; I'm hydrated
> from drinking water all day; I literally foam at the mouth when eating. I don't shop
> at the regular store. I went out to a furniture store the other day. Most of the guys
> weren't interested. The one who was knew he couldn't fuck with me, although I think
> he's a nice guy anyways. I left having bought nothing. The one thing they have that
> fits enough of my criteria is maybe 95% what I want.
>
> You folks should really go out in public with me. I fucking stomp my walk.

The proof you are a sociopath is so evident it hurts. Now it's even more real the fact you can't have sane direct relationships with people, let alone woman looking for "true orgasmic experiences".

"I can't be measured by society but me alone" <- Sociopath
"I made up unbelievable stories to cover my lack of true interaction" <- Sociopath
"I'm above anyone else comprehension" <- Sociopath
"I can't accept reality so I enclose in a bubble leaving society's judgement behind" <- Sociopath
"I post in all threads only to be noticed even when I don't have anything worth to add" <- Troll sociopath

It's a waste of time keeping this going on, so rest at peace, this is the last time I reply or read any of your posts. But hear this, there is a life out there worth paying attention to instead of thinking you're above everyone else. You can't be cured but at least a good psychologist could keep you controlled.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
1 registered and 467 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2200