#355085 - 06/01/16 02:35 AM

http://mamedev.emulab.it/kale/2016/06/01/borderline-with-more-colors/

dma.request
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/14/10
Send PM

Re: Kale: borderline with more colors new [Re: B2K24]
#355098 - 06/01/16 05:46 AM

Nice to see a new game emulated / improved.
Special thanks to Haze and Kale!

Anyway, did you notice that the background colors compared to the original screenshot below are wrong?
For example the blocks should be orange, yellow and green, in MAME instead they are all red!
Maybe the "unused" proms are for indirect color lookup?

To Kale (if you read the forum):
- The bit 0 of 0xD700 enables all sprites (See stuck sprites in screen transition from demo to gameplay when you insert coin)
- The bits 5, 6 (always 0xD700) are not coin lockouts, but coin counters

Original 'ebay' PCB screenshot:
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTU4N1gxNjAw/z/7qEAAOSwv9hW4yg-/$_57.JPG

Kale
Il Sindaco
Reged: 09/26/03
Loc: Naples, Italy
Send PM

Re: Kale: borderline with more colors new [Re: dma.request]
#355104 - 06/01/16 10:34 AM

> - The bit 0 of 0xD700 enables all sprites (See stuck sprites in screen transition
> from demo to gameplay when you insert coin)

It's more likely to be sprite DMA enable, and bit 1 could be involved too in the process, so DMA enable / request for sprite chip. That also contradicts with my rowscroll guess, unexpectedly.

> - The bits 5, 6 (always 0xD700) are not coin lockouts, but coin counters
>

Might be, I've simply forgot to double-check here.

> Anyway, did you notice that the background colors compared to the original screenshot
> below are wrong?
> For example the blocks should be orange, yellow and green, in MAME instead they are
> all red!
> Maybe the "unused" proms are for indirect color lookup?
>

Don't see much difference from the actual video reference, it's a photo glare effect imho.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

#355106 - 06/01/16 12:54 PM

> Nice to see a new game emulated / improved.
> Special thanks to Haze and Kale!

See, this is something that I'll never understand: What is it, exactly, about Haze that causes his fanboys to completely shut their brains off?

Last I checked, Kale is the only person credited on the Metal Freezer driver. What is it about Haze that makes people want to go so far as to completely fabricate in their own minds that he worked on some driver?

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: Kale: borderline with more colors new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#355110 - 06/01/16 01:52 PM

> > Nice to see a new game emulated / improved.
> > Special thanks to Haze and Kale!
>
> See, this is something that I'll never understand: What is it, exactly, about Haze
> that causes his fanboys to completely shut their brains off?
>
> Last I checked, Kale is the only person credited on the Metal Freezer driver. What is
> it about Haze that makes people want to go so far as to completely fabricate in their
> own minds that he worked on some driver?

because, credited or not, I still worked on the driver, sorted out a lot of initial stuff, ensured the dumps were fine etc.

or are you now saying that anybody not credited isn't worth a thanks? because that's a LOT of people, doing stuff that the team doesn't consider 'copyright worthy' and MAME would be nowhere without them.

one of the big things i've done for a lot of devs over the years is work out the basics, hook up the gfxdecodes etc. because believe it not that is a skill, and one a lot of devs, who are very good in other areas, have struggled with. likewise we don't typically credit people who have done dips, or code analysis, but their contributions have been invaluable.

it's a team, don't forget that.

gamez fan
Reged: 02/23/13
Send PM

Re: Kale: borderline with more colors new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#355114 - 06/01/16 03:08 PM

Quote:

See, this is something that I'll never understand: What is it, exactly, about Haze
that causes his fanboys to completely shut their brains off?

Last I checked, Kale is the only person credited on the Metal Freezer driver. What is
it about Haze that makes people want to go so far as to completely fabricate in their
own minds that he worked on some driver?

As i understand it Haze did the prep work on this driver sorted the GFX and CPU encryption then Kale
in a classic example of "Teamwork" took over and more or less finished it off.

So not wanting to sound like a Haze fanboy i will gladly thank both Kale and Haze for between em
getting another game preserved and emulated in the MAME project.

Arcade Addict

Kale
Il Sindaco
Reged: 09/26/03
Loc: Naples, Italy
Send PM

Re: Kale: borderline with more colors new [Re: gamez fan]
#355115 - 06/01/16 03:32 PM

> See, this is something that I'll never understand: What is it, exactly, about Haze
> that causes his fanboys to completely shut their brains off?
>
> Last I checked, Kale is the only person credited on the Metal Freezer driver. What is
> it about Haze that makes people want to go so far as to completely fabricate in their
> own minds that he worked on some driver?
>
>
> As i understand it Haze did the prep work on this driver sorted the GFX and CPU
> encryption then Kale
> in a classic example of "Teamwork" took over and more or less finished it off.
>
> So not wanting to sound like a Haze fanboy i will gladly thank both Kale and Haze for
> between em
> getting another game preserved and emulated in the MAME project.

A) CPU decryption was made by another guy, that is going to be credited when I bother in searching for the name (if anybody doesn't beat me to the clock).
B) GFX decoding alone isn't worth crediting, especially when it's derivative and it is, from Dark Mist HW.
C) If I git blame the file, we also have Tafoid and Micko as author driver modifiers. Are we going to credit them too for being "driver authors"?
D) "Good work Haze and Kale" really sounded like a provocation here anyway, that's why I've intentionally ignored it on the first reply.

gamez fan
Reged: 02/23/13
Send PM

Re: Kale: borderline with more colors new [Re: Kale]
#355118 - 06/01/16 03:53 PM

Quote:

> A) CPU decryption was made by another guy, that is going to be credited when I bother
> in searching for the name (if anybody doesn't beat me to the clock).
> B) GFX decoding alone isn't worth crediting, especially when it's derivative and it
> is, from Dark Mist HW.
> C) If I git blame the file, we also have Tafoid and Micko as author driver modifiers.
> Are we going to credit them too for being "driver authors"?
> D) "Good work Haze and Kale" really sounded like a provocation here anyway, that's
> why I've intentionally ignored it on the first reply.

Ok fair enough comming from the UK we have a thing or i have a thing where as when someone does
something you like you thank em i suppose in the end i thanked the wrong people while forgetting
to thank others that were involved innocent mistake TBH i wasn't intending to stir up anything.

Arcade Addict

Jason
Regular
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: PA
Send PM

Re: Kale: borderline with more colors new [Re: gamez fan]
#355119 - 06/01/16 04:12 PM

This is ridiculous. It's now gotten to a point where we can't even thank people without someone getting suspicious. Nobody is provoking anyone or stirring anything up. Many people on this board don't understand the intricate workings of MAME. They just see something emulated or read a post somewhere and comment on it.

dma.request
MAME Fan
Reged: 10/14/10
Send PM

Re: Kale: borderline with more colors new [Re: Kale]
#355120 - 06/01/16 04:26 PM

Please I don't wanna enter to internal 'diatribes', so please back to the technical stuff.

> It's more likely to be sprite DMA enable, and bit 1 could be involved too in the process, so DMA enable / request for sprite chip.
I tried to implement sprites with normal 'buffered sprite ram' (hence: automatic copy) and they looks synchronized with bg scroll.

> That also contradicts with my rowscroll guess, unexpectedly.
Why? Rowscroll enable is bit 1, not 0... They both work for me.

> Don't see much difference from the actual video reference, it's a photo glare effect imho.
Really? Am I blind?
Seriously, my first thought was screen glares, but if you notice the cyan blocks (water blocks?) they always mantain the same
'bluish' tonality, so it cannot be an optical effect.

Any other opinions about the screenshot?

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: Kale: borderline with more colors new [Re: Jason]
#355125 - 06/01/16 04:35 PM

> This is ridiculous. It's now gotten to a point where we can't even thank people
> without someone getting suspicious. Nobody is provoking anyone or stirring anything
> up. Many people on this board don't understand the intricate workings of MAME. They
> just see something emulated or read a post somewhere and comment on it.

yeah, the only provocative post here is the one from Moogly. If it's now a crime to thank people who have contributed to a driver just because they're not listed then the project is in serious trouble.

I spent a significant amount of time on the early stages of the driver, somebody recognized that and said thank you, the end. People are polite like that, human, it's normal, to be expected.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again, most of the value of MAME is not in the actual code, but in the discovery, the research, the facts that are established. We can't claim copyright over much of that because it's simply factual, but the discovery process, and research involved in figuring those things out underpins everything to do with MAME. The number of drivers we wouldn't have if it wasn't for the likes of Charles MacDonald is staggering, but because they didn't write code, just did research, they're not credited in many places as code authors / copyright holders either; we're talking fundamental stuff here like the CPS2 and Sega FD1094 encryptions.

Kale mentions it's similar to Dark Mist, but there had to be a discovery process to discover that (and it's not THAT close, Dark Mist has lots of encryption on everything and ROM based tilemaps etc.) Part of the work I did here was establishing that everything (that wasn't code) was graphic roms, and there weren't 'background map' roms.

The results, in the end, were mundane, but they established everything was graphics, thus not a direct clone of Dark Mist hardware (or anything else) but either way, it was valid work, even if the end it doesn't get a credit. With a driver in place, and the ROMs sorted, Peter Wilhelmsen was able to match the encryption to Cross Shooter. Had that driver not been in place, and the roms not been distributed, that might not have happened either, it all keeps things flowing. From that point Kale was able to emulate the rest of the hardware as the code was running, the graphics were properly decoded etc.

It is no coincidence that once MAME emulates something other emulators like FBA follow, and it's not because we've written the code, it's because we've shown how things work, which is the real effort; it's also why the packs by DotEmu etc. often suck because it seems they have nobody who understands emulation, only people who understand code, so none of them ever have any original research in them.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Kale: borderline with more colors new [Re: Haze]
#355132 - 06/01/16 05:08 PM

> > This is ridiculous. It's now gotten to a point where we can't even thank people
> > without someone getting suspicious. Nobody is provoking anyone or stirring anything
> > up. Many people on this board don't understand the intricate workings of MAME. They
> > just see something emulated or read a post somewhere and comment on it.
>
> yeah, the only provocative post here is the one from Moogly. If it's now a crime to
> thank people who have contributed to a driver just because they're not listed then
> the project is in serious trouble.
>

I'm not sure where community bickering and mame development overlap but it should be nowhere

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

#355133 - 06/01/16 05:09 PM

I only have my phone available at the moment but my direct pcb recording should be infinitely better as a reference in every way imaginable

Ice Cream
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/20/16
Send PM

Re: You are strong and no one will stole your position on MAME! new [Re: Haze]
#355140 - 06/01/16 07:46 PM

- IC

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Oh for the love of Engrish (nt) new [Re: Ice Cream]
#355147 - 06/01/16 09:28 PM

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

Nobody wants it new [Re: Ice Cream]
#355149 - 06/01/16 09:55 PM

> - IC

And good job making my point as to the general level of intelligence that his fanboys seem to have.

Ice Cream
MAME Fan
Reged: 05/20/16
Send PM

You are the worst annoying user and irritated on mameworld why you don´t cool down a bit on the beach? new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#355164 - 06/01/16 11:25 PM

> > - IC
>
> And good job making my point as to the general level of intelligence that his fanboys
> seem to have.

- IC

Ashura-X
MAME Compiler!
Reged: 01/22/04
Send PM

LOL !!! nt new [Re: Smitdogg]
#355173 - 06/02/16 02:57 AM

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Re: Kale: borderline with more colors new [Re: Haze]
#355174 - 06/02/16 03:51 AM

> it's a team, don't forget that.

That what I want to hear.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

Actually I'm a dev, not a user, thanks for proving again that you're a moron *nt* new [Re: Ice Cream]
#355184 - 06/02/16 01:23 PM

> > > - IC
> >
> > And good job making my point as to the general level of intelligence that his
> fanboys
> > seem to have.
>
> - IC

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> News
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  John IV, Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 767 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2820