Pages: 1

Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/19/10
Loc: The Room Next To You
Send PM

HLSL Question
#353596 - 04/27/16 10:38 PM

I noticed that as of a couple of versions ago, changes to HLSL settings done with the on-screen menu saved to the .INI file. It no longer saves settings done this way, and I can't get the screen curvature to work at all. What have I missed? Where is the setting to get this back?

----------------------
I have officially retired from sucking at everything I do. Life is much easier now.

My MAME/MESS artwork files: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ABxeKgNIrKlIsyck7dx4V241NFQDWAF4
Related screen shots: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1U5IbvbVzYW97PuOOQuocvZFE_YJz7WIn

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Re: HLSL Question new [Re: Nightvoice]
#353597 - 04/27/16 10:42 PM

> I noticed that as of a couple of versions ago, changes to HLSL settings done with the
> on-screen menu saved to the .INI file. It no longer saves settings done this way, and
> I can't get the screen curvature to work at all. What have I missed? Where is the
> setting to get this back?

#
# CORE CONFIGURATION OPTIONS
#
readconfig 1
writeconfig 0

It there. I never tested it. Unless it doesn't included the HLSL settings anymore.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

uman
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/15/12
Send PM

#353630 - 04/28/16 12:54 PM

> I noticed that as of a couple of versions ago, changes to HLSL settings done with the
> on-screen menu saved to the .INI file. It no longer saves settings done this way, and
> I can't get the screen curvature to work at all. What have I missed? Where is the

A couple of versions ago? are you kidding us? The option for saving slider-settings of HLSL went away in a MAME version prior 0145 (dont know exactly). The option couldnt be handled properly and so it was removed.

The devs want to bring it back for BGFX and they are on it. How long they will need, is written in the stars, but i guess it will be soon.

Screen curvature is under "curvature" in the HLSL settings and if you setup HLSL properly, it should work as usual. I guess you try to use your very old/outdated .ini-settings with a current MAME, which of course, will not work, as many parameters are gone and/or received a namechange.

Without any other information from your side, other than "mimimimi, it is not working, bla bla" ... it is very difficult to help you at all. Post your particular .ini file and maybe we can solve your problem.

Trebor
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/18/05
Send PM

#353635 - 04/28/16 04:10 PM

>...I can't get the screen curvature to work at all. What have I missed? Where is the

If you are using artwork coupled with screen curvature, the files found inside the folder labeled "artwork_support" inside the "hlsl" folder will need to be utilized. Otherwise, curvature will not work.

Just copy/paste over the existing files (Or ideally, rename the existing ones).

uman
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: HLSL Question new [Re: Trebor]
#353637 - 04/28/16 04:41 PM

> If you are using artwork coupled with screen curvature, the files found inside the
> folder labeled "artwork_support" inside the "hlsl" folder will need to be utilized.
> Otherwise, curvature will not work.
>
> Just copy/paste over the existing files (Or ideally, rename the existing ones).

All wrong here... artwork support files are gone since 0172, you dont need that anymore for artwork and to get distortion.fx to work.

copy/paste is a bad idea... do a fresh install like it is recommended EVERYTIME.

Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: HLSL Question new [Re: uman]
#353645 - 04/28/16 06:00 PM

Would that there were another place I could ask for help than here, but I'm not aware of one. Would that I could evade rude responses to simple questions from people who assume that everyone who uses this software is an expert with it or tracks the myriad changes to it enough to stay abreast of what's broken vs. changed. Since there's no forum dedicated to us muggle-borns, this is what I'm left with.

----------------------
I have officially retired from sucking at everything I do. Life is much easier now.

My MAME/MESS artwork files: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ABxeKgNIrKlIsyck7dx4V241NFQDWAF4
Related screen shots: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1U5IbvbVzYW97PuOOQuocvZFE_YJz7WIn

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#353648 - 04/28/16 06:38 PM

I don't believe uman is intentionally trying to be aggressive. It's just that we read over and over again problems occurring because of user error of not upgrading correctly. There's also places like emucr that post compiled binaries without providing the correct files that have changed as well, which leads to horrible experiences for the people that download those.

Trebor
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/18/05
Send PM

Re: HLSL Question new [Re: uman]
#353651 - 04/28/16 07:20 PM

> All wrong here... artwork support files are gone since 0172, you dont need that
> anymore for artwork and to get distortion.fx to work.

The OP did not mention what version of MAME, just that it has been a couple of version ago...That could mean now utilizing 0.170/0.171. Then it would be applicable. Of course, if the version details were mentioned in the OP it would save the confusion.

> copy/paste is a bad idea... do a fresh install like it is recommended EVERYTIME.

The copy and paste is in the context of the hlsl\artwork_support files from a (fresh) MAME install. Meaning copy and paste the *.fx files found in 'mame\hlsl\artwork_support' to 'mame\hlsl'.

The implication was not to copy paste a new version of MAME over an old one.

Seeing a person post about curvature (specifically) not working in relatively recent version(s) of MAME, it was one of the first things that popped up as being a possibility to me. If it may be not applicable, the OP will hopefully supply more details (I.E. What version is being used) soon enough to confirm.

Jezze
Reged: 03/14/05
Send PM

Re: HLSL Question new [Re: Trebor]
#353652 - 04/28/16 07:26 PM

As already mentioned, the ./hlsl/artwork_support folder does not exist anymore since 0.172. Furthermore the curvature parameter has been removed in 0.173 and was replaced with distortion, cubic_distortion and distort_corner.

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/06
Send PM

#353655 - 04/28/16 09:07 PM

Consider this...weather you're a newbie or not (which CLEARLY you are not), there are basic steps that should be taken by you (the user) before posting questions in the forums...

a) Have you done a clean install into a brand new directory and let MAME create a new ini file?

b) Did you get MAME from the official site? If not, try downloading it from there and see if you have better luck. 3rd party sources can't always be trusted and usually don't come with all the files you need

c) Did I search the forums to see if this problem has been reported? If it hasn't, then it's probably something I'm doing wrong on my end. Let me investigate this a little to rule out simple user error

d) If I have to post this into the forums, I need to help the people I hope will help me. Give computer information. What version of MAME I'm using. What have I done to try to resolve this problem on my own. Post the contents of the ini file if applicable

e) If I need basic help running the program, have I checked any readme or documentation files that came with the program? Did I check the main homepage for any faq's or other helpful links. Again, did I search the forums to make sure this question hasn't already been asked and answered?

If you don't do these basic steps, then yeah, ur not going to get a lot of help. And sometimes you'll hear the backlash and frustration from others. Again, you don't have to be an expert to know what to do when ever posting a problem with a program in any forums. I personally consider it common sense, but I digress

Edited by Envisaged0ne (04/28/16 09:18 PM)

Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
32GB DDR4 RAM

uman
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: HLSL Question new [Re: Envisaged0ne]
#353664 - 04/29/16 12:55 AM

Amen

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

#353665 - 04/29/16 01:07 AM

Everything you said below might be correct, but you have to admit that there are a lot of crap, outdated tutorials out there that tell users wholly wrong things to do. The user isn't always an idiot, sometimes the user's just misinformed.

> Consider this...weather you're a newbie or not (which CLEARLY you are not), there are
> basic steps that should be taken by you (the user) before posting questions in the
> forums...
>
> a) Have you done a clean install into a brand new directory and let MAME create a new
> ini file?
>
> b) Did you get MAME from the official site? If not, try downloading it from there and
> see if you have better luck. 3rd party sources can't always be trusted and usually
> don't come with all the files you need
>
> c) Did I search the forums to see if this problem has been reported? If it hasn't,
> then it's probably something I'm doing wrong on my end. Let me investigate this a
> little to rule out simple user error
>
> d) If I have to post this into the forums, I need to help the people I hope will help
> me. Give computer information. What version of MAME I'm using. What have I done to
> try to resolve this problem on my own. Post the contents of the ini file if
> applicable
>
> e) If I need basic help running the program, have I checked any readme or
> documentation files that came with the program? Did I check the main homepage for any
> faq's or other helpful links. Again, did I search the forums to make sure this
> question hasn't already been asked and answered?
>
> If you don't do these basic steps, then yeah, ur not going to get a lot of help. And
> sometimes you'll hear the backlash and frustration from others. Again, you don't have
> to be an expert to know what to do when ever posting a problem with a program in any
> forums. I personally consider it common sense, but I digress

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/06
Send PM

Re: HLSL Question new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#353672 - 04/29/16 03:37 AM

You got a good point, but most of the other points I still stand by

Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
32GB DDR4 RAM

Nightvoice
MAME Fan
Send PM

#353689 - 04/29/16 02:47 PM

Even though I've used this software for years, I still find new things in it on a monthly basis, and it's taken me this long just to get artwork files down. Trust me, I only post here if I can't find the answer anywhere else because I don't WANT to disturb the Obi-Wans.

I'd be perfectly fine if they created another forum and named it The I Am An Idiot So Don't Bother If You Can't Deal With Idiots Help Forum.

----------------------

Azrael
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/09/04
Send PM

#353727 - 04/30/16 01:05 PM

As the others say, HLSL settings are not currently saved - you have to manually edit them in your .ini files.

You don't mention which version of Mame you are using, but if you are on v0.171, I've noticed that on certain games, you have to disable backgrounds (under video options) to get screen curvature to work. This is not an issue in more recent versions of Mame, however.

Jezze
Reged: 03/14/05
Send PM

Re: HLSL Question new [Re: Azrael]
#353736 - 04/30/16 04:44 PM

He should go with the latest version (0.173) and not bother with workarounds for earlier versions.

Anyway, you don't have to disable bezels etc. in 0.171, you have to use the shaders in the ./hlsl/artwork_support folder.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Misinformation isn't a good point, because..... new [Re: Envisaged0ne]
#353877 - 05/03/16 09:48 PM

People aren't using the documentation source of the app. It fucking blinds me that people assume where they found some thing is the source of it. If it don't say so, it ain't!

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Yeah, see, one should either be rocking with their cock out.... new [Re: Jezze]
#353878 - 05/03/16 09:51 PM

or staying with .169 till there's more solidity.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 100 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3218