View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

spyhunter
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/06/14
Send PM

Spy Hunter bad sound emulation
#353385 - 04/22/16 09:23 PM

Hey guys, how can I find out if the MAME developers have fixed or even know about the sound chip emulation problem in MAME?

I've posted in other forums and to the MAME testers site:
http://mametesters.org/view.php?id=5452

Nothing has been done except me submitting what the sounds are supposed to sound like, and people that know nothing about it saying they don't hear the problem.

I realize that new arcade compilations that come out are using the bad emulation from MAME. It's bad enough the controls are never setup to be very easy in MAME or on consoles, but the sound should be a snap to fix.

Thanks for your time!

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Spy Hunter bad sound emulation new [Re: spyhunter]
#353386 - 04/22/16 09:37 PM

Your problem is quite esoteric in a technical sense (it involves analog electronics, a foreign subject to most hobbyist emulation developers). There is one developer in all of MAME with anything like the necessary skill set, and as you might imagine he's quite valuable at his paid day job. He'll probably get to this eventually, but it may be many more years; he's currently fixing similar defects in the sound of IREM games like Moon Patrol and Kid Niki.

R.Coltrane
MAME user since 0.11
Reged: 08/07/05
Send PM

Re: Spy Hunter bad sound emulation new [Re: R. Belmont]
#353524 - 04/26/16 01:58 PM

I just hope that Moon Patrol does not become too slow as what happened to Kung-Fu Master.

Osso1
Reged: 10/17/04
Send PM

Re: Spy Hunter bad sound emulation new [Re: R.Coltrane]
#353525 - 04/26/16 02:53 PM

Actually the Irem M62 will get a nice speed boost with 0.173, thanks to couriersud.

spyhunter
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Spy Hunter bad sound emulation new [Re: Osso1]
#392088 - 10/09/21 05:59 AM

When is this issue ever going to get some traction? I've tried the latest MAME (0.236) and still not fixed!

I have updated the MAMETESTERS bug report and also posted on the arcade-museum forums about the nothing that has been happening:

https://forums.arcade-museum.com/threads/spy-hunter-sound-effects-mame.301051/page-2

Thanks
SH

ICEknight
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/06/15
Send PM

#392089 - 10/09/21 06:30 AM

> When is this issue ever going to get some traction? I've tried the latest MAME
> (0.236) and still not fixed!

Guess you'll have to demand your money back.

Since it's an open-source project, have you actually looked for people around you who can work on fixing it? As in, anybody not already working on other things in MAME.

spyhunter
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Spy Hunter bad sound emulation new [Re: ICEknight]
#392095 - 10/09/21 06:54 PM

I would love to fix it, I have the arcade boards and a computer but nothing else.

Kind of ridiculous on such a big time game and big time emulator, that some one never fixed this decades ago, and in their sleep... Just sayin'

Thanks...

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

#392096 - 10/09/21 07:41 PM

> I would love to fix it, I have the arcade boards and a computer but nothing else.
>
> Kind of ridiculous on such a big time game and big time emulator, that some one never
> fixed this decades ago, and in their sleep... Just sayin'
>
> Thanks...

I saw your update to the MAMETesters report, and the only "disrespect" here is the fact that you admit that you yourself know absolutely nothing about how to actually fix it, yet you're making these broad assertions about how it can be "fixed in [a developer's] sleep".

You're furthermore talking completely out your ass, which is spread wide for all to see. You loudly assert that "filtering makes no sense", then go on to say that "the sounds are flat out missing most of their composure". Yeah. That's what happens when you play the direct output of a DAC and completely omit any of the analog filtering. For fuck's sake, man, the characteristic "soft brass" tone that characterized a ton of 80's pop is literally just a bunch of filters on top of a pure sawtooth-wave signal. It's the filters that give the tone its compositional nature, that's the whole fucking point for god's sake.

Believe it or not, emulating analog circuitry is a complete pain in the ass. There are a number of classic arcade games that are currently emulated by simply plumbing the output of the sound chips directly to the user's speakers as if the intervening filter circuitry doesn't exist. It's more straightforward to add support for such circuity than it used to be, but it's not the cakewalk that you loudly and obnoxiously assert it to be.

The reality is that Spy Hunter - or more specifically, the Cheap Squeak Deluxe sound board - uses a quartet of LM359 op-amp chips to perform filtering on the raw DAC output, which is used to generate all (or nearly all) of the sound effects in the game. Sorry to say, but that particular op-amp variant is not emulated by MAME's netlist system. If it were, it would actually be a relative easy hookup, but in this case it isn't. Each individual operational amplifier (and for that matter, transistor and diode) has its own set of characteristics that need to be both A) determined and B) modeled within MAME's netlist system. A whole variety of op-amps have been characterized and emulated, but the LM359 isn't one of them, and it's that which gives Spy Hunter (and other games) the characteristic tone of its sound effects.

I actually started looking into it this evening to see just how much effort it would be to try switching in a near-equivalent part (the LM3900), but if you're going to be such a miserable bastard about it, then honestly, why should I continue to waste my own unpaid time?

You loudly demand that we developers have respect for the games, and we do, it just happens that the games we've been working on don't happen to align with your own desires. Perhaps you should have a modicum of fucking respect for the people from whom you're loudly and angrily demanding the use of their free time.

Rotwang
Life is too short to be little...
Reged: 03/21/17
Send PM

#392097 - 10/09/21 08:20 PM

> I would love to fix it, I have the arcade boards and a computer but nothing else.
>
> Kind of ridiculous on such a big time game and big time emulator, that some one never
> fixed this decades ago, and in their sleep... Just sayin'
>
> Thanks...

From your own recent post on Mametesters:

"ARE YOU ALL A BUNCH OF BUMBLING IDIOTS!?! "

This is supposed to make people want to spend their free time to make you happy? How about you take your Spy Hunter PCB and shove it up your urethra you piece of shit.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: Spy Hunter sound - RB and Moogly explain the issue new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#392098 - 10/09/21 08:25 PM

Analog emulation, including audio, is a truckload of work involved and very few
contributors have that part of skills or patience to do loads of work for one or two
audio sound effects to be audible or sound correct.

When couriersud had spare time to help in 2020, a fair number of games were able to get audio support
possible with Moogly also contributing besides a few others. I miss Colin’s Midway 8080 audio work because
Colin Howell’s code provides details of how each sound effect is generated. Look at net list audio code for
Gun Fight and 280-zap for example.

Maybe Spy Hunter audio might be simple compared to other audio output…..especially Sega games because
each one of those sound effects is a challenge from what I heard in the past.

Renegade
Got No Where Else to Go
Reged: 10/01/03
Send PM

Re: Spy Hunter bad sound emulation. Damn moogly!! new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#392137 - 10/14/21 07:09 PM

Nice detailed answer !!

Makes sense to the complexity of it in easy to understand language and much appreciated!

Now as to the asshat, well with as many mame users as there are world wide you know there has to be one or two of them out there using mame and out of those 2, one will have to make their presence known....lol.

Only here to annoy...

TrevEB
Brokering peace between the collectors and the Mame Community
Reged: 03/11/05
Loc: Oakland, CA
Send PM

Re: Spy Hunter bad sound emulation new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#392177 - 10/17/21 05:38 PM Attachment: 57C6AC33-8DA2-49CD-BDDD-876D795C3B3B.jpeg 1359 KB (1 downloads)

Seven years waiting for your precious game to sound perfect ehh spyhunter?
What have you contributed?
Nothing but insults, though I appreciate you bringing the issue to my attention.
It disgusts me what you wrote.
You have been around long enough to know better.
Learn some manners you piece of cr#*

Holy Crap Moogly, you are freekin smart!
Thank you for that detailed answer.
You probably know gregf & I are the usual choir for perfecting sound.
I’ve been enjoying what we have out of Spy Hunter for ages.
Its the lack of a decent controller to handle to game thats always frustrated me. Now that 1Up Arcade will be selling the Star Wars yoke separately (soon) its possible to build a decent desktop controller.

Sadly no SpyHunter at CAX2021 this year.
Its a much smaller show than the normal venue at the Hyatt but still feels good to be out and gaming with friends again
Hey, can you do something about the sound in Speedway

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: Spy Hunter bad sound emulation new [Re: TrevEB]
#392180 - 10/17/21 07:05 PM

> Seven years waiting for

And that is only a fragment of time compared to the votrax speech hardware emulation which was an achievement itself since that hardware info was never released.

> no SpyHunter at CAX2021 this year.
>Its a much smaller show than the normal venue at the Hyatt but still feels good to be out and gaming with friends again

Good to know that event was able to take place. You would be owing a couple rounds of beer there for Moogly, for Star Fire analog audio emulation, had Moogly attended.

> can you do something about the sound in Speedway?

Oddly enough that the audio can be emulated compared to trying to do the artwork rendering support
for EM games like that and Atari F-1 game.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 339 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2959