MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Why doesn't MAME Auto-generate a default ini on unpacking?....
#353254 - 04/20/16 12:07 AM

LensLarque mentioned this, so I thought I'd fork off and ask about it.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

Re: Why doesn't MAME Auto-generate a default ini on unpacking?.... new [Re: Traso]
#353255 - 04/20/16 12:10 AM

It's been in discussion for awhile, along with handling of upgrading INIs.

---
Try checking the MAME manual at http://docs.mamedev.org

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Why doesn't MAME Auto-generate a default ini on unpacking?.... new [Re: Firehawke]
#353511 - 04/26/16 09:35 AM

> It's been in discussion for awhile, along with handling of upgrading INIs.

What's to discuss? Why not do it?

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: Why doesn't MAME Auto-generate a default ini on unpacking?.... new [Re: Traso]
#353520 - 04/26/16 12:23 PM

> > It's been in discussion for awhile, along with handling of upgrading INIs.
>
>
> What's to discuss? Why not do it?

well there's the further issue that Windows *hides* .ini files by default, so even if it did, half our current userbase wouldn't see it, because it seems like nobody casual actually enables showing of hidden files anymore.

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

#353532 - 04/26/16 07:20 PM

It's not quite as simple as it sounds.

Where do you create the INI? Current folder? How do you handle this without the possibility of dumping INIs all over someone's hard drive by loading from current folder fails? A specific location? What location?

How do you make that platform independent so that it works reasonably AND consistently on Linux, Windows, Android, OS X, and your cousin's toaster while not breaking any existing weird setups users may be using?

---
Try checking the MAME manual at http://docs.mamedev.org

anikom15
Instigator/Local CRT Guru
Reged: 04/11/16
Send PM

Re: Why doesn't MAME Auto-generate a default ini on unpacking?.... new [Re: Haze]
#353534 - 04/26/16 07:45 PM

Wait since when does Windows hide .inis? I don't think I've ever heard of this. Mine is not hidden.

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/06
Send PM

Re: Why doesn't MAME Auto-generate a default ini on unpacking?.... new [Re: anikom15]
#353538 - 04/26/16 09:13 PM

If windows detects an ini file (like desktop.ini for example) as a system file, it will hide it by default. So it's possible that if MAME auto generates the ini file for you, it will be hidden as a system file by windows

Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
32GB DDR4 RAM

DiodeDude
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/28/03
Send PM

Why not place the ini in the ini folder? new [Re: Haze]
#353542 - 04/26/16 11:30 PM

At least you'll know where its hidden.

Haze
Send PM

Re: Why doesn't MAME Auto-generate a default ini on unpacking?.... new [Re: Envisaged0ne]
#353545 - 04/26/16 11:50 PM

> If windows detects an ini file (like desktop.ini for example) as a system file, it
> will hide it by default. So it's possible that if MAME auto generates the ini file
> for you, it will be hidden as a system file by windows

there's a thread about it on reddit, where somebody says they had to enable showing of hidden files to see the .ini, so it's happening on some Windows configurations now at least...

anikom15
Instigator/Local CRT Guru
Reged: 04/11/16
Send PM

Re: Why doesn't MAME Auto-generate a default ini on unpacking?.... new [Re: Haze]
#353550 - 04/27/16 01:27 AM

Oh yeah some dumbass on reddit okay.

FWIW, I don't think inis should ever be packaged, (except for skeletons) but autogeneration on first startup is almost ubiquitous for apps now. It's not something I really like though.

As an alternative I suggested adding a script that could generate an ini, but I realized scripts are platform-dependent.

Edited by anikom15 (04/27/16 01:28 AM)

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

yeah, that's bizarre..... new [Re: anikom15]
#353617 - 04/28/16 07:22 AM

Could be an 8/10 thing.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Why doesn't MAME Auto-generate a default ini on unpacking?.... new [Re: Firehawke]
#353618 - 04/28/16 07:24 AM

> It's not quite as simple as it sounds.

> Where do you create the INI? Current folder? How do you handle this without the possibility of dumping INIs all over someone's hard drive by loading from current folder fails? A specific location? What location?

> How do you make that platform independent so that it works reasonably AND consistently on Linux, Windows, Android, OS X, and your cousin's toaster while not breaking any existing weird setups users may be using?

.......um, the resident directory, of course. (Current folder what? Ain't never happened to me.) Or, WAIT FOR IT, why not include a default ini in the package?

Haze
Send PM

Re: yeah, that's bizarre..... new [Re: Traso]
#353628 - 04/28/16 11:42 AM

> Could be an 8/10 thing.

or a home vs pro thing, or maybe some anti-virus software doing it?

not sure, but that's not the only place I've seen it reported either, so there might be something to it.

casm
Cinematronics > *
Reged: 08/27/07
Send PM

#353646 - 04/28/16 06:01 PM

> > It's not quite as simple as it sounds.
>
> > Where do you create the INI? Current folder? How do you handle this without the
> possibility of dumping INIs all over someone's hard drive by loading from current
> folder fails? A specific location? What location?
>
> > How do you make that platform independent so that it works reasonably AND
> consistently on Linux, Windows, Android, OS X, and your cousin's toaster while not
> breaking any existing weird setups users may be using?
>
>
> .......um, the resident directory, of course. (Current folder what? Ain't never
> happened to me.) Or, WAIT FOR IT, why not include a default ini in the package?

Yes, and then wait for the pissings and moanings of people who unzip the entire archive straight to their installation directory, obliterating the artisanally-handcrafted .ini file in there that they've been curating with love for X number of years.

There's no perfect answer to this. What problem are you trying to solve that can't be achieved (at present) by use of -createconfig?

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Why doesn't MAME Auto-generate a default ini on unpacking?.... new [Re: casm]
#353647 - 04/28/16 06:08 PM

> Yes, and then wait for the pissings and moanings of people who unzip the entire
> archive straight to their installation directory, obliterating the
> artisanally-handcrafted .ini file in there that they've been curating with love for X
> number of years.

This is the major reason there isn't an .ini in the package (also, that we consider the default settings you get without one to be pretty sane).

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: Why doesn't MAME Auto-generate a default ini on unpacking?.... new [Re: R. Belmont]
#353649 - 04/28/16 06:44 PM

It could essentially be created fresh and tossed into the ini folder before it was uploaded to mamedev.org but I question if the majority of users would really compare the files and add new or changed options that aren't present in the current mame.ini they use.

remax
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/12
Send PM

Re: Why doesn't MAME Auto-generate a default ini on unpacking?.... new [Re: R. Belmont]
#353659 - 04/28/16 11:17 PM

> > Yes, and then wait for the pissings and moanings of people who unzip the entire
> > archive straight to their installation directory, obliterating the
> > artisanally-handcrafted .ini file in there that they've been curating with love for
> X
> > number of years.
>
> This is the major reason there isn't an .ini in the package (also, that we consider
> the default settings you get without one to be pretty sane).

You might put it in ini/presets

Not that i find it so important, but it would give a way for the ones who are afraid of it not to use the command line

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

I'm thinking within the current circumstances being 'start from scratch'....(nt) new [Re: remax]
#353875 - 05/03/16 09:42 PM

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 117 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2361