View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Can aviwrite be altered?
#352625 - 04/07/16 05:53 AM

That is, it seems an awful waste, and turns into a pain in the ass, to have such high bit rate video for 2D games, particularly golden age games. Like, seven minutes of galaxian equals 12 gigs! Couldn't there be a scale factor relative to resolution at least?

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: Can aviwrite be altered? new [Re: Traso]
#352626 - 04/07/16 06:03 AM

> That is, it seems an awful waste, and turns into a pain in the ass, to have such high
> bit rate video for 2D games, particularly golden age games. Like, seven minutes of
> galaxian equals 12 gigs! Couldn't there be a scale factor relative to resolution at
> least?

No, because the resolution is already output as small as it can be. Do the math yourself as to how much disk space uncompressed video takes.

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

#352629 - 04/07/16 06:09 AM

That's what VirtualDub is for. MAME puts out raw uncompressed AVI, which you then run through the lossy conversion to the format of your choice.

You wouldn't want to output straight to a lossy format for risk of permanently losing detail on the initial file.

---
Try checking the MAME manual at http://docs.mamedev.org

uman
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/15/12
Send PM

#352641 - 04/07/16 10:27 AM

You could use any other screen-capturing software like Shadowplay etc. It has a meaning that avi-write captures in uncompressed/lossless format, it was a pain in the ass to convince the Pleasuredome team, that uncompressed is the only format to keep as a masterfile for the snapshot-video files. You wonder about 7min. Galaxian = 12gigs? You should capture a HD-resolution game for half a hour .

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

#352642 - 04/07/16 11:26 AM

> That is, it seems an awful waste, and turns into a pain in the ass, to have such high
> bit rate video for 2D games, particularly golden age games. Like, seven minutes of
> galaxian equals 12 gigs! Couldn't there be a scale factor relative to resolution at
> least?

There is the alternative of -mngwrite (basically a series of .PNG snapshots) and -wavwrite, each recording video and audio respectively. The file size will be much less but you need to find programs to sync the video/audio together if that is what you are needing.

AntoPISA
MAME Snapper
Reged: 09/15/08
Loc: Pisa, Italy
Send PM

#352684 - 04/08/16 02:53 PM

Better yet, and much simpler, you can use the ADB Tool by motoschifo, which allows you to create videos to avi or mp4 in a few steps and very quickly.

Get it here: http://adb.arcadeitalia.net/?page=download&lang=en

Site: https://www.progettosnaps.net/
Board: progetto-SNAPS Official Board
Twitter: @progettosnaps

Sthiryu
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/09/16
Send PM

#352697 - 04/08/16 06:23 PM

Yes, it's an awful waste, but temporary...

As said, use virtualdub or compress later to mp4.

The disk space occupied would be smaller, i've done videos and the final size for 30 min could be 600mb, and with very good quality.

RETRODANUART.COM

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Can aviwrite be altered? new [Re: AntoPISA]
#352914 - 04/12/16 11:26 PM

Disk space doesn't bother me. It's the time it takes to upload a file to youtube. I could use Fraps, etc, I just thought it'd be cool to use the internal recorder. I don't know why a feature to compress it or something couldn't be integrated. We can select the resolution and aspect of snaps....

Another thing against using the internal recorder, though, is the resolution for Galaxian (and Frogger, etc) is so narrow, the result is a little difficult to watch.

> Better yet, and much simpler, you can use the ADB Tool by motoschifo, which allows you to create videos to avi or mp4 in a few steps and very quickly. Get it here: http://adb.arcadeitalia.net/?page=download&lang=en

I'll check it out. Thanks.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Can aviwrite be altered? new [Re: uman]
#352915 - 04/12/16 11:28 PM

> You wonder about 7min. Galaxian = 12gigs? You should capture a HD-resolution game for half a hour .

It's about two to one, so sixty gigs.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 311 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2123