Troll Lamer
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Italy
Send PM

Some comparisons....
#352329 - 04/02/16 03:38 PM

1) HLSL with new RASTER.INI presets:

2) BGFX with HLSL chain and curvature disabled:

3) GLSL with CRT GEOM shader applied: (we still miss a shadow mask)

4) GLSL with LOTTES CRT shader applied:

I already made my choice.

All MAME settings are default ones except for -window and -nounevenstretch (integer scaling enabled)

Edited by Mamesick (04/02/16 03:40 PM)

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: Some comparisons.... new [Re: Mamesick]
#352344 - 04/02/16 10:02 PM

Try the Raster.ini with these changes

Code:

defocus 0.8,0.0
saturation 1.20
floor 0.0,0.0,0.0
phosphor_life 0.0,0.0,0.0
bloom_scale 0.20

In mame.ini change gamma to 0.9

What do you think?

http://imgur.com/KVX9RMd

http://imgur.com/AFlR9Nd

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Re: Some comparisons.... new [Re: B2K24]
#352347 - 04/02/16 10:36 PM

At least over here, none of the posted images is big enough to not show artifacting when viewing them. My resolution is 1080p, but even the 'recommended' resolution of 1360x768 doesn't change this.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

SoltanGris42
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/16/13
Send PM

#352352 - 04/03/16 12:19 AM

I would have thought that MAME would keep the 4:3 aspect ratio at least. Why would you bother to simulate a crt and then not even keep the correct aspect ratio?

But what are you trying to show? All of the shaders offer many configuration options. A lot of the differences would disappear if you adjusted them to match your preferences. Although only the D3D (non bgfx) hlsl shader has a bloom effect included right now afaik. Of course, if we port crtgeom and Lottes Crt shader to the new bgfx system, we could add a bloom effect to them pretty easily...

I guess I just don't know what you're trying to show by putting up low resolution screenshots of the default settings.

> 1) HLSL with new RASTER.INI presets:
>
>
> 2) BGFX with HLSL chain and curvature disabled:
>
>
> 3) GLSL with CRT GEOM shader applied: (we still miss a shadow mask)
>
>
> 4) GLSL with LOTTES CRT shader applied:
>
>
> I already made my choice.
>
> All MAME settings are default ones except for -window and -nounevenstretch (integer
> scaling enabled)

Mamesick
Troll Lamer
Send PM

Re: Some comparisons.... new [Re: SoltanGris42]
#352365 - 04/03/16 06:57 AM

> I would have thought that MAME would keep the 4:3 aspect ratio at least. Why would
> you bother to simulate a crt and then not even keep the correct aspect ratio?
>

I have old CFGs in which probably there's "Pixel Aspect (8:7)" enabled as video option instead of "Standard (4:3)".

> But what are you trying to show? All of the shaders offer many configuration options.
> A lot of the differences would disappear if you adjusted them to match your
> preferences. Although only the D3D (non bgfx) hlsl shader has a bloom effect included
> right now afaik. Of course, if we port crtgeom and Lottes Crt shader to the new bgfx
> system, we could add a bloom effect to them pretty easily...
>
> I guess I just don't know what you're trying to show by putting up low resolution
> screenshots of the default settings.

Yes you don't understand the meaning of the post so you're invited in not to post aggressive useless comments.

I simply showed which is the final result of the various video mode alternatives. If this hurts you, it's not my problem. IMHO what a noob user that enables BGFX mode with default values can obtain as final result should be much better without having to go crazy in modify the hundreds of sliders available.

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

#352366 - 04/03/16 07:04 AM

Seriously, can the shitty attitude.

The defaults are there to show the range of what can be done with the shaders. They're not optimal by any means, yet they also seem to be what a lot of the shader users want-- the look of a badly maintained, damaged monitor.

If you don't like it, you can edit the shader config by hand for now. Eventually it'll get config files, but that's a ways off.

BGFX isn't even fully implemented to where we want it. This is the beginning of what would be a very long road.

---
Try checking the MAME manual at http://docs.mamedev.org

Mamesick
Troll Lamer
Send PM

Re: Some comparisons.... new [Re: B2K24]
#352367 - 04/03/16 07:14 AM Attachment: new.jpg 1132 KB (0 downloads)

Whooo whooo, it's much much better now.... Changing MAME gamma makes maybe too much darker, though.

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Mamesick
Troll Lamer
Send PM

Re: Some comparisons.... new [Re: Firehawke]
#352368 - 04/03/16 07:22 AM

> Seriously, can the shitty attitude.

Which shitty attitude? He made a useless reply. Stop.

> The defaults are there to show the range of what can be done with the shaders.
> They're not optimal by any means, yet they also seem to be what a lot of the shader
> users want-- the look of a badly maintained, damaged monitor.

I know.

> If you don't like it, you can edit the shader config by hand for now. Eventually
> it'll get config files, but that's a ways off.

I know but as I said default shader config values should be a little bit better. Always in my humble personal opinion.

> BGFX isn't even fully implemented to where we want it. This is the beginning of what
> would be a very long road.

I know.

SoltanGris42
MAME Fan
Reged: 11/16/13
Send PM

#352370 - 04/03/16 07:58 AM

> > Seriously, can the shitty attitude.
>
> Which shitty attitude? He made a useless reply. Stop.
>
> > The defaults are there to show the range of what can be done with the shaders.
> > They're not optimal by any means, yet they also seem to be what a lot of the shader
> > users want-- the look of a badly maintained, damaged monitor.
>
> I know.
>
> > If you don't like it, you can edit the shader config by hand for now. Eventually
> > it'll get config files, but that's a ways off.
>
> I know but as I said default shader config values should be a little bit better.
> Always in my humble personal opinion.
>
> > BGFX isn't even fully implemented to where we want it. This is the beginning of
> what
> > would be a very long road.
>
> I know.

Ugh.

My only point is that if you don't at least try to get the effect you want out of the shaders than you are really limited in what you can conclude.

If you like the one with the highest saturation at default settings, then that's great. But you can turn up the saturation in the others as well.

If you like the one with the most (or least) prominent scanlines, that's great! But you can change that in all of them too.

And so on.

It's like going to the store and trying out the stereo equipment and then taking home the one that happened to have the volume knob turned up the highest.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

yeah, people be trippin.... new [Re: SoltanGris42]
#352603 - 04/06/16 10:38 PM Attachment: still artifacted.PNG 1462 KB (0 downloads)

Mamesick gettin fussy.

Image example.

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 419 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3340