MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Don't print on plastic film in a laser printer....
#352064 - 03/28/16 03:14 PM

bravo dumbass

Replacing it will put me back $65.00, but at least I'm well on my way to getting some overtime this pay period.

ETA: Gotta do this for myself too.

Edited by Tomu Breidah (03/29/16 08:50 AM)

LEVEL-4

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

Re: Don't print on plastic film in a laser printer.... new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#352101 - 03/29/16 08:47 AM

A vid on the MS610dn would be preferable, but this one did help...

*for future reference*

LEVEL-4

URherenow
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Japan
Send PM

#352111 - 03/29/16 05:09 PM

What a user-unfriendly design... Most printers I've worked with had stupid expensive fusers, but you didn't need tools and that much time to replace them!

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

Re: Don't print on plastic film in a laser printer.... new [Re: URherenow]
#352122 - 03/29/16 10:52 PM

> What a user-unfriendly design... Most printers I've worked with had stupid expensive
> fusers, but you didn't need tools and that much time to replace them!

The one in this video is actually easier to remove than the one I had to remove, but the steps are still similar.

The original one had these pair of black (ground) wires with a small nylon connector connecting to another thing (as well as 1 or 2 others, but I'm focusing on this particular one). The thing was very hard to remove. I thought I'd try to be careful, but ended up pulling one of the wires out.

I soldered it back to its metal connector here at home. Seeing as how the part that heats up is ruined anyway, that will be my back-up plan... To put the old one back in, then call our hardware support and be all like; "Golly, this here printer sure seems to be acting weird. You think you guys can send us a new one?"

After putting it mostly back together, I ended up with 2 extra screws. I wasn't sure where they went, but it probably won't be a problem when it comes time to putting the new fuser back in.

LEVEL-4

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: Don't print on plastic film in a laser printer.... new [Re: URherenow]
#352126 - 03/30/16 12:40 AM

> What a user-unfriendly design... Most printers I've worked with had stupid expensive
> fusers, but you didn't need tools and that much time to replace them!

Jesus, yeah. Is that how bad laser printers have gotten these days?

My family's workhorse printer was an HP Laserjet IIP, the first consumer-level laser printer released by Hewlett Packard in 1989. Cost the family a pretty penny, but I always had the best-looking printouts of all the kids in class.

That thing was from back when printers were built to last, not get replaced. You could have that thing open and spread out on your table with 5 minutes and a single screwdriver. I'm pretty sure if my family fished it out of the attic and found a USB->Parallel adapter, it would probably fire right up after 10 years dormant and start running off pages without issue. I fucking loved that printer.

Of course, having grown up around laser printers, you can imagine my inward groan when I read the thread title...

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

replacing the fuser film... new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#352480 - 04/04/16 05:48 PM

Okay. So I bought the fuser assembly and installed it. But now that I have this old/ruined one... Taking it apart, it looks like I could replace the fuser film. Looking on ebay, searching for fuser film gets me teflon sleeve grease, and some HP & Lexmark fuser sleeves... But nothing for a Lexmark MS610 (specifically). But, that usually isn't a problem since (I'm assuming) a good number of parts are interchangeable.

If only they'd provide the length and diameter in their descriptions, then, I'm sure I could find a good match.

Then, if I can after I get this thing back together, hopefully I can sell it and get a little money back.

LEVEL-4

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

#352634 - 04/07/16 06:49 AM

> After putting it mostly back together, I ended up with 2 extra screws. I wasn't sure where they went, but it probably won't be a problem when it comes time to putting the new fuser back in.

That's why you're supposed to write up a list of parts, and where they came from, as you're disassembling. I haven't always, or even oftenly needed to, but I've done it. When I've removed chassis from CRTs, I've made a diagram with notations. And then filed it away case I need it again.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

Re: Don't print on plastic film in a laser printer.... new [Re: Traso]
#352637 - 04/07/16 07:48 AM

> > After putting it mostly back together, I ended up with 2 extra screws. I wasn't
> sure where they went, but it probably won't be a problem when it comes time to
> putting the new fuser back in.
>
> That's why you're supposed to write up a list of parts, and where they came from, as
> you're disassembling. I haven't always, or even oftenly needed to, but I've done it.
> When I've removed chassis from CRTs, I've made a diagram with notations. And then
> filed it away case I need it again.

I did that this (last) time. But before, I must've been more in a panic since the film had melted and fused to itself, wrapped around the fuser. And, since I had other things that needed to be done, time wasn't something I had a whole lot of.

Admittedly, I had a small voice in my head saying "Don't do it! It'll mess up!" But, covetousness got the better of me. I just had to have that carbon fiber plain weave pattern on a nice, smooth sheet o' plastic.

LEVEL-4

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 172 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2614