The Iron Goat
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/02/11
Send PM

Metal Freezer by Seibu?
#352027 - 03/27/16 03:28 PM

Saw this on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Seibu-Metal-Free...gkAAOSwv9hW4yg6

Seller claims it's rare (just like everything else on eBay, LOL) and wants an eye-watering $3000 for it. Curious to know if this board has been dumped yet or if anyone has any info about it.

Bigster
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/22/09
Send PM

Re: Metal Freezer by Seibu? new [Re: The Iron Goat]
#352029 - 03/27/16 04:47 PM

Auction says it is not dumpted. Checked unMamded quickly and could not find anything.

Not sure if it is worth 3gs. Beavis and Butthead was listed for same price years back and no one bought and dumped that one (but B&B has difficult hardware)

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Reged: 07/13/10
Loc: Macedonia,Veles
Send PM

#352032 - 03/27/16 06:04 PM

Perhaps I am wrong, but this game is so close to Mustache Boy ?!

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

#352037 - 03/27/16 07:21 PM

>Seller claims it's rare (just like everything else on eBay, LOL) and wants an eye
>-watering $3000 for it.

iirc the seller/vendor has contributed a couple items in the past. $3000 is probably in line and maybe cheaper compared to what some very hard-to-find pcbs are selling in Yahoo Japan auction listings.

Edited by gregf (05/09/16 04:22 PM)

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: Metal Freezer by Seibu? new [Re: CTOJAH]
#352038 - 03/27/16 07:24 PM

>...but this game is so close to Mustache Boy.

It has some similarity appearance-wise.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

#352039 - 03/27/16 07:25 PM

> Saw this on eBay:
>
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Seibu-Metal-Free...gkAAOSwv9hW4yg6
>
> Seller claims it's rare (just like everything else on eBay, LOL) and wants an
> eye-watering $3000 for it. Curious to know if this board has been dumped yet or if
> anyone has any info about it.

we're aware of it, but it's simply not worth anywhere near the price he's asking.

seller is very greedy, wanting near $200 for PCBs which are clearly missing roms just because they're 'not in MAME' and even more than that for broken PCBs just based on what game they are.

I was hoping that when we paid over the odds for 'Android' he would see that as a kind gesture and donate dumps of the rest of the stuff for free, instead he seems to have used it as an excuse to further jack up his prices.

unfortunately some people do want to hold things for ransom, in the end, everybody loses. Considering how much this seller seems to use MAME this seems a classic example of somebody who prefers to take rather than give.

contrast this with the guys who found and donated all those rare prototypes a year or two back, it's night and day, we're lucky some are less selfish when it comes to our history.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: Metal Freezer by Seibu? new [Re: Bigster]
#352071 - 03/28/16 07:53 PM

> Auction says it is not dumpted. Checked unMamded quickly and could not find anything.

You should be checking out the Undumped wiki these days.
http://mamedev.emulab.it/undumped/

http://mamedev.emulab.it/undumped/index.php?title=Metal_Freezer_%28Seibu%29
http://mamedev.emulab.it/undumped/index.php?title=Metal_Freezer

unMAMEd hasn't been updated in over two years.

- Stiletto

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Metal Freezer by Seibu? new [Re: gregf]
#352074 - 03/28/16 08:46 PM

I've heard that years ago they sent some dumps to mamedev. Mame really has made it to where 1 person's greed will make 100,000 people suffer. Kind of revolting when we watch it happen and maybe even worse when it comes from someone we assumed was an ally. Like porchy says, greed ruins everything. In times like this though we need to look at what we do have already. In mame/dumping scene we get obsessed with what we don't have and don't fully appreciate what we do have.

Bigster
MAME Fan
Reged: 06/22/09
Send PM

Re: Metal Freezer by Seibu? new [Re: Stiletto]
#352078 - 03/28/16 10:02 PM

> > Auction says it is not dumpted. Checked unMamded quickly and could not find
> anything.
>
> You should be checking out the Undumped wiki these days.
> http://mamedev.emulab.it/undumped/
>
> http://mamedev.emulab.it/undumped/index.php?title=Metal_Freezer_%28Seibu%29
> http://mamedev.emulab.it/undumped/index.php?title=Metal_Freezer
>
> unMAMEd hasn't been updated in over two years.
>
> - Stiletto

Thx. Old habits die hard. Still going to atmospherical heights for some MAME news from time to time.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: Metal Freezer by Seibu? new [Re: Bigster]
#352088 - 03/29/16 12:58 AM

> Thx. Old habits die hard.

No problem! If btribble brought it back suddenly with two years' worth of updates, I'd still recommend it. And it doesn't bother me none if you check unMAMEd first, then the Undumped wiki (Honestly, I'm hoping for more collaboration and cooperation.)

> Still going to atmospherical heights for some MAME news
> from time to time.

Didn't know that still existed! ... I mean, aside from using Archive.org to load an old copy of it?

- Stiletto

Edited by Stiletto (03/29/16 01:48 AM)

gamez fan
Reged: 02/23/13
Send PM

Re: Metal Freezer by Seibu? new [Re: Stiletto]
#353182 - 04/18/16 11:17 PM

So the board is rare game was a proto or maybe very limitied release in Japan not many copies floating
around so what's a fair price for this then..??? 3 grand doesn't seem totally excessive if you consider
what Shoutime recently paid for two rare PCB's

Arcade Addict

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

Schwenksville....sounds fitting....in german or english voice [nt] new [Re: The Iron Goat]
#353245 - 04/19/16 11:11 PM

hah

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

casm
Cinematronics > *
Reged: 08/27/07
Send PM

Re: Metal Freezer by Seibu? new [Re: gamez fan]
#353378 - 04/22/16 05:12 PM

> So the board is rare game was a proto or maybe very limitied release in Japan not
> many copies floating
> around so what's a fair price for this then..??? 3 grand doesn't seem totally
> excessive if you consider
> what Shoutime recently paid for two rare PCB's

Here's the thing: there isn't really anything else to compare this one to in terms of a sale price, so it's basically worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Does that mean it's worth $3K? Maybe, maybe not. But without an established market value for it pretty much any value can be slapped on it knowing that a) rarity may drive pricing and b) once someone buys it there's a precedent established for price.

Additionally, what other titles may have sold for can't really be used to establish price for a different game; perceived desirability and rarity comes into play here. As an example, I recently found out that an undumped Epos PCB sold for a very low price (as in, barely in the three-digit range), and had I noticed the auction would have snapped it up myself. However, something like Beavis & Butthead will never go for that sort of money.

One last thing to consider: the arcade collecting community has something of a split opinion regarding MAME. Some people see it as being anywhere from harmless to useful for troubleshooting dedicated games; others see it as devaluing their games by allowing anyone to play them on their computer or destroying original cabinets when people convert them to run MAME. Depending on where a given seller falls on the issue (assuming that there's a suspicion that a game may end up in MAME), pricing may be adjusted accordingly or sale may be refused.

And yes, flat-out greed can also be a part of it. I once had someone try to sell me a Cube Quest with a broken LD player and missing the disc for $10K because it was, in his exact words, "so rare you'll never see another one". When I asked him what had happened to both of those items - which had been in the exact same game when I originally sold it in fully-working condition to another collector roughly four years prior - he got really quiet. My suspicion is that he parted out the working player and disc to make a quick buck, put a broken player in the game so that he could claim it 'just needed a disc', then sought to flip the resultant semi-working game for way more than it was worth.

So, yeah, in this case, there is no "fair price" - it's more or less worth what someone is willing to pay for it until a bunch more crop up and flood eBay.

CTOJAH
MAME Addict
Reged: 07/13/10
Loc: Macedonia,Veles
Send PM

Item sold - case closed... ...or not ?! new [Re: The Iron Goat]
#353383 - 04/22/16 06:00 PM

- NT -

gamez fan
Send PM

#354061 - 05/09/16 03:52 PM

Well as you'll likely know Metal Freezer has now been preserved in MAME the seller got a
bit of stick in this thread obviously i dont know everything that went before but i just feel
like saying in my dealings with him he seemed perfectly reasonable and took a big hit on
the asking price when i made him what i considered to be a fair offer for a very rare board
and i also mentioned it was to dump the game and see it Emulated in MAME.

So maybe we can once again consider him to be somewhat friendly towards the MAME project..???

Arcade Addict

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Send PM

Re: Metal Freezer pcb purchase new [Re: gamez fan]
#354062 - 05/09/16 04:37 PM

>the seller got a bit of stick in this thread obviously i dont know everything that went
>before but i just feel like saying in my dealings with him he seemed perfectly reasonable
>and took a big hit on the asking price when i made him what i considered to be a fair
>offer for a very rare board and i also mentioned it was to dump the game and see it
>Emulated in MAME.

As stated in other thread, thanks for being able to get the pcb. Good to know that the seller was willing to reduce asking price for the pcb.

>So maybe we can once again consider him to be somewhat friendly towards the MAME
>project?

He has helped out a few times in the past of documenting some roms on some pcbs.....probably 15 years earlier iirc. MAME didn't have useful documentation of roms such as specific rom locations on a pcb until starting around 2002 or 2003 iirc. Those early years were great for gamers, but not so much for pcb owners or repair techs that could use such information (now within source code)....especially in case some repair manuals were hard to find. Fortunately a lot has evolved over the past 15 years in which pcbs are better documented and more manuals and paperwork can be found online these days.

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

#354370 - 05/18/16 05:14 AM

> Saw this on eBay:
>
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Seibu-Metal-Free...gkAAOSwv9hW4yg6
>
> Seller claims it's rare (just like everything else on eBay, LOL) and wants an
> eye-watering $3000 for it. Curious to know if this board has been dumped yet or if
> anyone has any info about it.

What kind of game is Metal Freezer?

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

gamez fan
Send PM

Re: Metal Freezer by Seibu? new [Re: Master O]
#354408 - 05/18/16 11:54 PM

Quote:

What kind of game is Metal Freezer?

Give Mustache Boy a whirl and it'll more or less tell ya what sorta game Metal Freezer is

Arcade Addict

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 161 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 4047