View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

80's computer commercial: Another vague childhood memory I can't recall
#351555 - 03/14/16 03:30 AM

This dates after 1985, but without a North American Free Trade Agreement it could have been an older product. If my memory don't deceive me it was about an Atari computer. There were two children (boy and girl) sitting in front of the computer along with their mascot (most probably a dog). They were enjoying and showing off the games their new computer offered with the usual overreacted expressions and flashing monitor lights, then suddenly someone calls the door (knock or door bell, beats me). While both look at each other they know who they are. As soon as both parents open the door they find two well behaved children doing homework on the computer with educational software obviously showing on the screen.

I've been looking at Atari commercials without success, maybe it was not about an Atari computer at all. Anyone remembers something like that?

mike20599
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/14/08
Send PM

Re: 80's computer commercial: Another vague childhood memory I can't recall new [Re: BIOS-D]
#351561 - 03/14/16 04:55 AM

A Texas Instruments computer maybe?

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: 80's computer commercial: Another vague childhood memory I can't recall new [Re: BIOS-D]
#351568 - 03/14/16 08:53 AM

This dates after 1985, but without a North American Free Trade Agreement it could have been an older product. If my memory don't deceive me it was about an Atari computer. There were two children (boy and girl) sitting in front of the computer along with their mascot (most probably a dog). They were enjoying and showing off the games their new computer offered with the usual overreacted expressions and flashing monitor lights, then suddenly someone calls the door (knock or door bell, beats me). While both look at each other they know who they are. As soon as both parents open the door they find two well behaved children doing homework on the computer with educational software obviously showing on the screen.

>I've been looking at Atari commercials without success, maybe it was not about an Atari
>computer at all. Anyone remembers something like that?

Was the tv commercial seen in USA? Or in Canada? Or in Europe?
Sometimes the advertising agency might shoot different commercials of the same product.

Being in USA market, that commercial doesn't seem familiar, but maybe the commercial only aired on cable channels rather than over-the-air tv. I didn't have cable so I missed a lot of commercials during 1980s that might not have aired on regular FCC controlled tv channels.

My top guesses if it is not Atari: Apple, maybe Commodore but doubt it, or maybe a family friendly IBM pc clone such as a Tandy computer.

If commercial is from 1980s, try this group

"The Museum of Classic Chicago Television (www.FuzzyMemories.TV)"

There might be a chance that commercial aired in Chicago market and they might have gotten it at the time. I was surprised they had this tv commercial that I had only seen on soCal local independent channels during early 1980s (KHJ channel 9 ...now KCAL) and (KCOP channel 13 ...now a Fox network affiliate to Fox channel 11)

--
Rockin' Down The House (Record Offer, 1984)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vpyr_Bjd_vY
--

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

#351572 - 03/14/16 12:36 PM

Thank you for the feedback. I talked about NAFTA but I forgot to mention it happened in Mexico. Still, there's no way the family and house depicted was Mexican. I'm certain it was a dubbed commercial from the USA.

The YouTube channel was a good lead, unfortunately I still can't find it. Just in case I checked Commodore and Texas Instruments advertisement too, but neither they are.

I think I'll just let it go. For something so particular that isn't a common match on the advertisement back then, it sure gets harder to find. Usually the advertisers are adults, a group, lone people or both boys in front the computer.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

#351586 - 03/14/16 11:47 PM

>I talked about NAFTA but I forgot to mention it happened in Mexico. Still, there's no
>way the family and house depicted was Mexican. I'm certain it was a dubbed commercial
>from the USA.

I see. That narrows down to a USA or maybe a Canadian search.

>The YouTube channel was a good lead, unfortunately I still can't find it. Just in case I
> checked Commodore and Texas Instruments advertisement too, but neither they are.

That Chicago based group that recorded truckloads of advertisements shown on tv stations around Chicago area could have been a potential find for a specific 1980s era tv advertisement.

>I think I'll just let it go. For something so particular that isn't a common match on
>the advertisement back then, it sure gets harder to find. Usually the advertisers are
>adults, a group, lone people or both boys in front the computer.

Do a search with Apple computers, or maybe try Tandy Radioshack computers (IBM clone)
in case you are certain the advertisement aired after 1987. Commodore would be out since they were going downhill with the Amiga unable to rescue the company even though it was a decent graphics work related computer of its time.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

No Cable for you! new [Re: gregf]
#351787 - 03/21/16 10:22 PM

Which makes baby jesus saaad. Not getting cable when it came to the neighborhood indicated you were out of touch. We were last in the neighborhood to get just about everything, but we got cable the night the salesman came.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 348 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1559