MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Brain Breaker
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/11/16
Send PM

Friday (UPL, 1983) - screenshots found (undumped game)
#351474 - 03/11/16 11:49 PM

Hi everyone,

I recently came across a few screenshots of this undumped game in an early Japanese game magazine (AM Life), and thought it might be worth posting them here. Unfortunately, they're in black and white and are pretty blurry (the original scanner kind of messed the whole thing up), but I tried to touch them up a bit. There's also a brief article about the game, which basically describes it as your typical "deep sea diver/treasure salvage" type, where you attempt to dive down and then bring the treasure back up, avoiding deadly fish, mines, octopus, etc. before running out of air. Not too surprising, as that's exactly what the front of the game's flyer indicated as well.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: Friday (UPL, 1983) - screenshots found (undumped game) new [Re: Brain Breaker]
#351480 - 03/12/16 01:08 AM

> Hi everyone,
>
> I recently came across a few screenshots of this undumped game in an early Japanese
> game magazine (AM Life), and thought it might be worth posting them here.
> Unfortunately, they're in black and white and are pretty blurry (the original scanner
> kind of messed the whole thing up), but I tried to touch them up a bit. There's also
> a brief article about the game, which basically describes it as your typical "deep
> sea diver/treasure salvage" type, where you attempt to dive down and then bring the
> treasure back up, avoiding deadly fish, mines, octopus, etc. before running out of
> air. Not too surprising, as that's exactly what the front of the game's flyer
> indicated as well.

Will add to Undumped wiki, thank you!

- Stiletto

Diet Go Go Fan
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/18/06
Send PM

Re: Friday (UPL, 1983) - screenshots found (undumped game) new [Re: Brain Breaker]
#351490 - 03/12/16 02:18 AM

Those pictures look familiar to me, although I am used to seeing them in color. They are on the flyer for "Burble". Falcon must have pirated "Friday" and re-named it "Burble".

http://mamedev.emulab.it/undumped/index.php?title=Burble

Brain Breaker
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/11/16
Send PM

Re: Friday (UPL, 1983) - screenshots found (undumped game) new [Re: Diet Go Go Fan]
#351497 - 03/12/16 05:19 AM

> Those pictures look familiar to me, although I am used to seeing them in color. They
> are on the flyer for "Burble". Falcon must have pirated "Friday" and re-named it
> "Burble".
>
> http://mamedev.emulab.it/undumped/index.php?title=Burble

Very interesting! It seems that they even (mostly) copied the basic style of UPL's original flyer, as well.

It's a shame that this game was seemingly released in both Japan and the U.S., but neither version has ever turned up for preservation.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: Friday (UPL, 1983) new [Re: Brain Breaker]
#351522 - 03/12/16 07:46 PM

>came across a few screenshots of this undumped game in an early Japanese game magazine
>(AM Life), and thought it might be worth posting them here.

Good find and thanks too. Hopefully a pcb can be found.

Bobby Tribble had the entry

-
http://unmamed.mameworld.info/non_other80.html#Friday
-

listed in the UPL page section when there used to be many multiple entries before he removed the page and placed the entries in main page.

The amusing anecdote about this game name entry was many years earlier when no one had known what the gameplay was like nor any actual flyer for reference. So Bobby T. decided to jokingly say provide a phony description of: a game from the rap artist ICE Cube's movie "Friday".

A couple folks actually thought it was an arcade game that Ice Cube had a hand in developing it to be game that had something to do with the movie. Heh. I had a laugh at that when someone was posting that guess back then.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 382 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1750