View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

SharkGrey
MAME Fan
Reged: 03/04/16
Send PM

Can NeoGeo Do It?
#351348 - 03/09/16 05:35 AM

One thing I love to contemplate since NeoGeo was such an advanced machine for its time is consider if it could handle/play other arcade games. A few that come to mind are:

Final Fight

Street Fighter 2: Champion Edition

Alien vs. Predator

Golden Axe

Terminator 2

So could NeoGeo handle these games?

Thanks!!!

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Can NeoGeo Do It? new [Re: SharkGrey]
#351350 - 03/09/16 05:57 AM

> One thing I love to contemplate since NeoGeo was such an advanced machine for its
> time is consider if it could handle/play other arcade games.

The NeoGeo wasn't particularly advanced for an arcade system at the time it was released, it was actually fairly weak. It only supports sprite graphics with simple scaling and auto-animation effects. Its only big advantage over anything else was that it could directly address a lot of ROM-based graphics. That's why it was a good, cheap platform to keep releasing 2D fighters and puzzle games for over a decade. You could probably make an acceptable NeoGeo port of CPS1 games, though.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: Can NeoGeo Do It? new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#351351 - 03/09/16 06:46 AM

I'm just going to put this out here, as reading SharkGrey's post gave me a slight twinge of familiarity with the posts of that one Bart Simo guy from a while back. It's uncanny. Probably just nothing, though.

SharkGrey
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Can NeoGeo Do It? new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#351362 - 03/09/16 11:42 AM

Who is that? No I'm not him.

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/06
Send PM

#351363 - 03/09/16 01:57 PM

To give some friendly advise, I'd avoid posting hypothetical questions like this. They might seem interesting to you, but after a while they can become annoying and irritate people. A quick way to become unpopular (like the guy mentioned above)

Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
32GB DDR4 RAM

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: Can NeoGeo Do It? new [Re: Envisaged0ne]
#351364 - 03/09/16 02:33 PM

> To give some friendly advise, I'd avoid posting hypothetical questions like this.
> They might seem interesting to you, but after a while they can become annoying and
> irritate people. A quick way to become unpopular (like the guy mentioned above)

Oh, that's not at all was I was saying - just that it was interesting to see someone else post a hypothetical thread like this.

On the actual topic, I expect the Neo-Geo could run any of those games, depending on how you went about porting them. After all, even arcade games from the mid to late 80's got ports to much less capable home computer systems. So it's not really a valid comparison to ask if arcade hardware A could handle a game on arcade hardware B, given relative differences in hardware capabilities.

Firehawke
Manual Meister
Reged: 08/12/06
Send PM

Re: Can NeoGeo Do It? new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#351374 - 03/09/16 06:42 PM

Perhaps a better question is "Could it do it well?", which is somewhat subjective. I mean, a hypothetical port of Final Fight to NeoGeo would include the sound system-- and the NeoGeo sounds a hell of a lot different than CPS1. Would it be better? Depends on your taste. Somehow I don't think I'd really like the results much.

---
Try checking the MAME manual at http://docs.mamedev.org

SharkGrey
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Can NeoGeo Do It? new [Re: Firehawke]
#351379 - 03/09/16 07:08 PM

Thank you for your response.

Perhaps a better question is how does the hardware between the CPS1 and NeoGeo compare? Similar? Completely different?

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

#351380 - 03/09/16 07:29 PM

> Thank you for your response.
>
> Perhaps a better question is how does the hardware between the CPS1 and NeoGeo
> compare? Similar? Completely different?

Same basic CPU types, but everything else, very different.

CPS1 is a fairly traditional design, several tile layers (with various row effects) + sprites

NeoGeo is 99% sprites with a very limited tile-based overlay. It seems to be an evolution of the 'snk68' hardware used by POW and the like.

The platforms both use different display resolutions, so porting to them would be messy for that reason alone, you'd have to redraw a lot of the art.

Effect-wise on CPS1/2 things like linescroll are completely free, it's native to the tilemaps. On NeoGeo it requires expensive cpu intervention to reprogram the sprite list each line.

Due to mixing rules you can pull off things like stencil effects on CPS1/2, not possible on NeoGeo as you're dealing with a single list of sprites.

Neither CPS nor NeoGeo have any kind of native transparency, the Sega System 16 hardware Golden Axe runs on does, it can do hardware shadows / highlights. It's a strange omission from those platforms as most others around the period could do something along those lines.

Neither natively have any kind of RAM based tiles (you could probably hack it in - one of the NeoGeo bootleg cartridges does, albeit only on the text overlay) so pulling off a game like Gals Panic would be impossible on either platform with the licensed development kits / hardware.

Official NeoGeo games were also limited to being horizontal games using standard Jamma controls; The Irritating Maze is an exception but that required a special bios. There was also a spinner available for Pop'n'Bounce, but again, not a standard accessory. That's one of the downsides of the NeoGeo being a multi-cart system, it was expected that all games worked with a standard setup.

but yeah, this type of post tends to irritate people here, so I suggest you don't keep posting on the topic.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: Can NeoGeo Do It? new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#351393 - 03/09/16 11:29 PM

> The NeoGeo wasn't particularly advanced for an arcade system at the time it was
> released, it was actually fairly weak.

Yeah, it came out in 1990. To put that in perspective, Atari had shipped the first modern-style polygonal 3D game in 1987, and Namco followed suit in 1988. Sega's Virtua Racing and Virtua Fighter came out in 1991. 1990's higher-end PCs were capable of running DOOM, even though it wasn't going to show up for another 3 years

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

Re: Can NeoGeo Do It? new [Re: Envisaged0ne]
#351406 - 03/10/16 04:27 AM

> To give some friendly advice, I'd avoid posting hypothetical questions like this.
> They might seem interesting to you, but after a while they can become annoying and
> irritate people. A quick way to become unpopular (like the guy mentioned above)

You forgot Javier Donoso, who also loved to ask dumb questions like that.

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

Cool answer though, thanks for the explanation. *nt* new [Re: Haze]
#351413 - 03/10/16 06:20 AM

> > Thank you for your response.
> >
> > Perhaps a better question is how does the hardware between the CPS1 and NeoGeo
> > compare? Similar? Completely different?
>
> Same basic CPU types, but everything else, very different.
>
> CPS1 is a fairly traditional design, several tile layers (with various row effects) +
> sprites
>
> NeoGeo is 99% sprites with a very limited tile-based overlay. It seems to be an
> evolution of the 'snk68' hardware used by POW and the like.
>
> The platforms both use different display resolutions, so porting to them would be
> messy for that reason alone, you'd have to redraw a lot of the art.
>
> Effect-wise on CPS1/2 things like linescroll are completely free, it's native to the
> tilemaps. On NeoGeo it requires expensive cpu intervention to reprogram the sprite
> list each line.
>
> Due to mixing rules you can pull off things like stencil effects on CPS1/2, not
> possible on NeoGeo as you're dealing with a single list of sprites.
>
> Neither CPS nor NeoGeo have any kind of native transparency, the Sega System 16
> hardware Golden Axe runs on does, it can do hardware shadows / highlights. It's a
> strange omission from those platforms as most others around the period could do
> something along those lines.
>
> Neither natively have any kind of RAM based tiles (you could probably hack it in -
> one of the NeoGeo bootleg cartridges does, albeit only on the text overlay) so
> pulling off a game like Gals Panic would be impossible on either platform with the
> licensed development kits / hardware.
>
> Official NeoGeo games were also limited to being horizontal games using standard
> Jamma controls; The Irritating Maze is an exception but that required a special bios.
> There was also a spinner available for Pop'n'Bounce, but again, not a standard
> accessory. That's one of the downsides of the NeoGeo being a multi-cart system, it
> was expected that all games worked with a standard setup.
>
> but yeah, this type of post tends to irritate people here, so I suggest you don't
> keep posting on the topic.

Coherencia
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/25/16
Send PM

Re: Ha ha, nice post -nt- new [Re: SharkGrey]
#351424 - 03/10/16 11:26 AM

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Be like saying "Can Bubble Bobble run on Neo-Geo?" new [Re: SharkGrey]
#351425 - 03/10/16 11:43 AM

Only if it were bootlegged and all hacked up. Probably run like shit. Same answer SNK Playmore would've gave you.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 287 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2222