MAMEWorld >> Hardware
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

daywick
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/23/16
Send PM

Got a free OLD arcade box, everything works but joystick2 doesn't work in game...HELP
#350604 - 02/23/16 08:55 PM

Hello all.

So long story short, i got a free hand me down arcade/emulator. Its got some age on it but still works very well.

My problem is that the general controls of player 1 and player 2 joysticks work fine when in MALA (version 1.04, I believe that MAME is 1.37 itself?!)

Joystick1 does all the controls and Joystick2 lets you switch between different console and its games.

Once i select a game, in 1 player games, everything functions fine, no issues. however, when i go to select a 2 player game (ie. NBA Jam) i hit the player 2 start button and its selected as player 3. its the only game i've been able to get the joystick2 to work.

When playing a 1 player game, to exit the game, i was told to hold the player1 start + player2 start and it will go back to the MALA list of games.

I believe it must be a configuration issue but i am not having any luck finding what i need as i've looked up support pages and i plugged in a keyboard and tried hitting TAB in the game but does not bring up the list of options.

I checked the directX and system settings under game controls which shows nothing. I checked the joy sticks and buttons which are all wired up to an iPac board and from the board, connected via PS/2 to the keyboard port on the motherboard.

Like i said, everything works while setting the games just not IN GAME.

would someone be kind enough to direct me to which INI file i need to edit that would assign the Joystick2 to Player2? As mentioned, trying to hit TAB in game doesn't bring anything unless i need to be in command prompt?

THANK YOU!

Heihachi_73
I am the Table!
Reged: 10/29/03
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Got a free OLD arcade box, everything works but joystick2 doesn't work in game...HELP new [Re: daywick]
#350638 - 02/24/16 11:26 AM

> Hello all.
>
> So long story short, i got a free hand me down arcade/emulator. Its got some age on
> it but still works very well.
>
> My problem is that the general controls of player 1 and player 2 joysticks work fine
> when in MALA (version 1.04, I believe that MAME is 1.37 itself?!)
>
> Joystick1 does all the controls and Joystick2 lets you switch between different
> console and its games.
>
> Once i select a game, in 1 player games, everything functions fine, no issues.
> however, when i go to select a 2 player game (ie. NBA Jam) i hit the player 2 start
> button and its selected as player 3. its the only game i've been able to get the
> joystick2 to work.
>
> When playing a 1 player game, to exit the game, i was told to hold the player1 start
> + player2 start and it will go back to the MALA list of games.
>
> I believe it must be a configuration issue but i am not having any luck finding what
> i need as i've looked up support pages and i plugged in a keyboard and tried hitting
> TAB in the game but does not bring up the list of options.
>
> I checked the directX and system settings under game controls which shows nothing. I
> checked the joy sticks and buttons which are all wired up to an iPac board and from
> the board, connected via PS/2 to the keyboard port on the motherboard.
>
> Like i said, everything works while setting the games just not IN GAME.
>
> would someone be kind enough to direct me to which INI file i need to edit that would
> assign the Joystick2 to Player2? As mentioned, trying to hit TAB in game doesn't
> bring anything unless i need to be in command prompt?
>
> THANK YOU!

Is it 0.137 or 0.37? 0.137 is relatively modern, but 0.37 (and its myriad of betas) came out pretty much the same time Windows XP was released, if not earlier. We need to know which version of MAME is being run, as an INI file could be vastly different to another version. Are you able to upload the ini (and/or cfg) file from the cabinet?

How old is the system? "OLD" could mean a Core 2 Duo or Pentium 4/AthlonXP right down to a 486 when it comes to MAME cabinets.

Also...

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

You need to find what TAB is mapped to is all.... new [Re: daywick]
#350763 - 02/27/16 06:11 AM

Obviously it's a controls setting....so....AHA.....delete your cltrl file, which will default your controls, and start fresh.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Hardware
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 60 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1792