View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Renegade
Got No Where Else to Go
Reged: 10/01/03
Send PM

who has seen dead pool ?
#350269 - 02/14/16 05:59 PM

I must admit I'm not much on the comic history of the character to compare with the movie but I like the movie!

One thing I really liked is the way they wove the history of the character into the action scenes so that you didn't end up with 20 to thirty minutes of boring story line to set it all up.

Great cast, good story line, and a good way of presenting the past history.

2 thumbs up, 8·1/2 out of 10 stars.

Btw there are rumors of a sequel already. I will buy this in blue ray and I will go see a sequel if they make one.

Only here to annoy...

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: who has seen dead pool ? new [Re: Renegade]
#350272 - 02/14/16 07:23 PM

> Btw there are rumors of a sequel already. I will buy this in blue ray and I will go
> see a sequel if they make one.

Actually, not rumors, it's been confirmed. If you stuck around for the post-credits teaser, you could see Mr. Pool confirm it himself.

I saw it on Friday with a group of 14 friends, and I saw it again with another friend this afternoon. It's absolutely phenomenal, manages to nudge the line of NC-17 while staying R, and it has tons and tons of tongue-in-cheek humor.

JWJr
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/15/04
Send PM

Re: who has seen dead pool ? new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#350273 - 02/14/16 07:31 PM

> > Btw there are rumors of a sequel already. I will buy this in blue ray and I will go
> > see a sequel if they make one.
>
> Actually, not rumors, it's been confirmed. If you stuck around for the post-credits
> teaser, you could see Mr. Pool confirm it himself.
>
> I saw it on Friday with a group of 14 friends, and I saw it again with another friend
> this afternoon. It's absolutely phenomenal, manages to nudge the line of NC-17 while
> staying R, and it has tons and tons of tongue-in-cheek humor.

Agreed in all respects. We dragged along one friend who was (she told us later) really only there for the group dinner afterwards, and she told us at that dinner she hadn't laughed that hard at a movie in years.

Do stay for the after-credit scene. -JW

Renegade
Got No Where Else to Go
Reged: 10/01/03
Send PM

Re: who has seen dead pool ? new [Re: JWJr]
#350280 - 02/15/16 12:19 AM

Yeah the movie does push the ratings line for R. I had heard that it originally got a NC·17 but they cut a scene or 2 to get the R.

Will have to buy it when it comes out as I'm sure they will have an uncut version.

A lot of innuendo`s in it if you pay attention.

I have to say it's Ryan's best movie.

Only here to annoy...

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

Re: who has seen dead pool ? new [Re: Renegade]
#350308 - 02/16/16 05:23 AM

> Yeah the movie does push the ratings line for R. I had heard that it originally got
> a NC·17 but they cut a scene or 2 to get the R.
>
> Will have to buy it when it comes out as I'm sure they will have an uncut version.
>
> A lot of innuendo`s in it if you pay attention.
>
> I have to say it's Ryan's best movie.

The movie was rated B15 here - that's basically an R rating, but with no sex. (Ironic considering the uh, boobs and sex.) My brother, who isn't a comic book nut, went to see the movie with his wife and he loved it. I'm a big fan of Deadpool since a few years back and while the movie isn't completely in line with the comic book character it was a great version of the character's story.

I saw the movie in English, with subtitles, and they were probably the best ones I've seen on a Mexican release in like... ever. They were so good I'm very tempted to go watch the movie, dubbed. I never do that, but I might make an exception...

Also, guess who's already trying to land the Cable role!

https://twitter.com/IAmStephenLang/status/698637537565347841

AND I FUCKING MISSED THE ROB LIEFELD CAMEO.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: who has seen dead pool ? new [Re: Foxhack]
#350317 - 02/16/16 02:38 PM

> I'm a big fan of Deadpool since a few
> years back and while the movie isn't completely in line with the comic book character
> it was a great version of the character's story.

Just to be "that guy": Which comic book version of Deadpool? As far as I know, there are four different Deadpools, each with their own origin stories. The movie effectively establishes a fifth separate Deadpool.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#350321 - 02/16/16 05:48 PM

> AND I FUCKING MISSED THE ROB LIEFELD CAMEO.

It's OK, the Liefeld version of the Deadpool movie poster has everything wrong with it that people have been mocking him about since 1991.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#350322 - 02/16/16 05:49 PM

> Just to be "that guy": Which comic book version of Deadpool? As far as I know, there
> are four different Deadpools, each with their own origin stories. The movie
> effectively establishes a fifth separate Deadpool.

Yup, just like the movie Ant-Man is only vaguely related to the comics version.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Re: who has seen dead pool ? new [Re: R. Belmont]
#350323 - 02/16/16 06:03 PM

> > Just to be "that guy": Which comic book version of Deadpool? As far as I know,
> there
> > are four different Deadpools, each with their own origin stories. The movie
> > effectively establishes a fifth separate Deadpool.
>
> Yup, just like the movie Ant-Man is only vaguely related to the comics version.

I really don't care that a movie's story isn't the same as the source material.

Especially so in the case of Deadpool, whose actual origin story is that some guy wrote a comic book. Because he knows that.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Send PM

#350324 - 02/16/16 07:23 PM

> > I'm a big fan of Deadpool since a few
> > years back and while the movie isn't completely in line with the comic book
> character
> > it was a great version of the character's story.
>
> Just to be "that guy": Which comic book version of Deadpool? As far as I know, there
> are four different Deadpools, each with their own origin stories. The movie
> effectively establishes a fifth separate Deadpool.

I meant the "main" version of Deadpool. The one that's starred in all the Deadpool series in continuity with the other Marvel books, basically the one most comic book readers will be familiar with.

The movie had various elements lifted from the main series / storyline and played with them enough to make them their own thing. This worked a hell of a lot better than the crap they did with the X-Men (1 and 2 were fine, 3 was wtf, First Class was a good reboot) and Boreverine (zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.)

Sure, Weasel wasn't a technological genius who built all of DP's gadgets, Blind Al wasn't a prisoner in Wade's house, and the yellow boxes... but that's okay.

Also, five? Are you counting the video games? Because the was from the Activision game (Nolan North) is also different enough to count as one.

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Reged: 03/14/15
Loc: UK
Send PM

#350327 - 02/16/16 09:22 PM

Thought this was quite bad.

The plot - if that's what we're calling it - has all the life of a corpse. Same old same old. I seriously doubt anyone could say they watched it for the story. there basically isn't one.

To be fair I've grown incredibly bored of these Marvel movies. The plot in all of them is aimed at a kindergarten level. What you get with Dead Pool is a set of one-liners (which aren't all that good) and a tiny bit of grit in the action (though it'll never form a pearl),

I skipped Ant Man because I couldn't watch another feeble origin story. Sadly, I succumbed to this. The writers of these films have used the same basic script over and over. They have great characters, but the stories are pure tripe.

IMO.

I rate this poor.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Send PM

Hi, Francis! *nt* new [Re: Vaughan]
#350333 - 02/17/16 12:54 AM

> Thought this was quite bad.
>
> The plot - if that's what we're calling it - has all the life of a corpse. Same old
> same old. I seriously doubt anyone could say they watched it for the story. there
> basically isn't one.
>
> To be fair I've grown incredibly bored of these Marvel movies. The plot in all of
> them is aimed at a kindergarten level. What you get with Dead Pool is a set of
> one-liners (which aren't all that good) and a tiny bit of grit in the action (though
> it'll never form a pearl),
>
> I skipped Ant Man because I couldn't watch another feeble origin story. Sadly, I
> succumbed to this. The writers of these films have used the same basic script over
> and over. They have great characters, but the stories are pure tripe.
>
> IMO.
>
> I rate this poor.

I'm just messing with ya. There is no text here.

Stop reading.

Why are you still reading this?

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

Re: who has seen dead pool ? new [Re: Vaughan]
#350334 - 02/17/16 01:26 AM

> Thought this was quite bad.
>
> The plot - if that's what we're calling it - has all the life of a corpse. Same old
> same old. I seriously doubt anyone could say they watched it for the story. there
> basically isn't one.
>
> To be fair I've grown incredibly bored of these Marvel movies

And stop.

This was Fox, not Marvel.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Send PM

Re: who has seen dead pool ? new [Re: TriggerFin]
#350335 - 02/17/16 01:35 AM

> > Thought this was quite bad.
> >
> > The plot - if that's what we're calling it - has all the life of a corpse. Same old
> > same old. I seriously doubt anyone could say they watched it for the story. there
> > basically isn't one.
> >
> > To be fair I've grown incredibly bored of these Marvel movies
>
> And stop.

Hammer time!

> This was Fox, not Marvel.

The character is a Marvel property. It's part of the Fox universe, but it's still a Marvel movie. Too bad we won't be getting a cameo in Avengers.

Bad A Billy
Oop Ack!
Reged: 12/27/07
Loc: Outland
Send PM

Re: I thought Clint looks good for his age...spry too! <NT> new [Re: Renegade]
#350346 - 02/17/16 06:20 AM

Someone had to do it...

Pessimist: Oh, this can't get any worse!
Optimist: Yes, it can!

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

#350361 - 02/17/16 08:18 PM

> > > Thought this was quite bad.
> > >
> > > The plot - if that's what we're calling it - has all the life of a corpse. Same
> old
> > > same old. I seriously doubt anyone could say they watched it for the story. there
> > > basically isn't one.
> > >
> > > To be fair I've grown incredibly bored of these Marvel movies
> >
> > And stop.
>
> Hammer time!
>
> > This was Fox, not Marvel.
>
> The character is a Marvel property. It's part of the Fox universe, but it's still a
> Marvel movie. Too bad we won't be getting a cameo in Avengers.

It is a Fox movie about Marvel characters. Marvel did not make the movie. Comparisons to Marvel movies are invalid.

Avengers was too crowded already, and is only going to get worse in the upcoming installments.

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Send PM

#350368 - 02/17/16 11:03 PM

Yes, you are free to believe my views aren't valid. On the other hand, I'm free to say that this is no better, or worse, than any Marvel movie you can name - and therefore I think it's very valid.

But then - "valid" in this context means what? It's just an opinion, like your own. Nothing more, nothing less.

My reference to "Marvel" was a reference to characters and the movies they're in - I wasn't at all referring to who financed the thing. Which, you know, is obvious to most of us.

jeremymtc
Shot Maker
Reged: 01/09/07
Loc: Calimammy
Send PM

Re: I thought Clint looks good for his age...spry too! <NT> new [Re: Bad A Billy]
#350372 - 02/18/16 01:46 AM

> Someone had to do it...

I will go ahead and out myself as the guy who didn't know that this was not a remake of the Callahan movie.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Send PM

Re: I thought Clint looks good for his age...spry too! <NT> new [Re: jeremymtc]
#350373 - 02/18/16 01:56 AM

> > Someone had to do it...
>
> I will go ahead and out myself as the guy who didn't know that this was not a remake
> of the Callahan movie.

Which is kinda funny since Liam Neeson is namedropped in the film.

(Yes, he was in it. I didn't know either.)

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

Re: who has seen dead pool ? new [Re: Vaughan]
#350376 - 02/18/16 05:39 AM

> My reference to "Marvel" was a reference to characters and the movies they're in - I
> wasn't at all referring to who financed the thing. Which, you know, is obvious to
> most of us.

That makes no sense, because you're comparing the quality of the movie. You're saying that any movie with a Marvel character is inferior, regardless of who is writing, directing, etc.
If it's a "kindergarten level plot," that's on the writers, and would be true of either exclusively one studio's films, or all films in the genre if it went beyond the writers.

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Send PM

#350391 - 02/18/16 11:37 PM

Gee, it's only a movie.

Do you not find the origin movies to be striking similar? Do you not think character motivations are rough sketches based on stereotypes? Do you not think these movies - and thereby their plots - are aimed at kids?

And yes, I'm talking about movies based on Marvel characters. Why is this still a question? Just saying.

After 60 seconds or so of "Oh, in THIS movie the Marvel character swears, talks about sex, and enjoys killing", then the proverbial load had been blown.

Yes the character breaks the 4th wall. It's not like he's the first to do that. That aside, absolutely nothing new is in this movie.

Don't get me wrong, I watch lots of rubbish cinema and love it despite its many flaws. These Marvel movies though have really worn out their welcome, imo. Based on movie going figures, the populace disagrees.

As I said, it's only a movie......

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 407 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2164