-

Mamesick
Troll Lamer
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Italy
Send PM

Re: MAME on XP new [Re: Robbbert]
#350079 - 02/08/16 05:38 PM

That's strange because I know a lot of MAMEUIFX users have in their cabinets the latest 0.170.1 version with XP installed. And it works, it seems, because I never received any complaints about it. XP 64-bit is another story, MAME doesn't work at all due to some MSVC_CRT libraries missing.

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Reged: 05/22/13
Loc: Mount St. Lurkling
Send PM

#350082 - 02/08/16 06:51 PM

The latest MAME 0.171 GIT (2-8-2016) works just fine for me on Windows XP 32-bit.

D3D works fine.

It may be your .ini settings. The latest MAME GIT release now creates two .ini files in the root directory... mame.ini and ui.ini. As well as info_mame.ini in the UI directory.

EDIT: OpenGL isn't even an option that's listed to choose from in my MAME.

When I choose BGFX and try to Return to Previous Menu, MAME exits.

Mamesick
Troll Lamer
Loc: Italy
Send PM

#350084 - 02/08/16 08:25 PM

On a side note, BGFX crash on startup here too... I launch a game and it exits without any output displayed. I'm on Windows 7, my video card sucks but I can enjoy OpenGL shaders without problems.

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/06
Send PM

Re: MAME on XP new [Re: Big Karnak]
#350102 - 02/09/16 03:07 AM

Same thing happens to me. When I choose BGFX & try to return back to the game list, MAME just exits. Running Windows 7 64 bit

Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
32GB DDR4 RAM

uman
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/15/12
Send PM

#350119 - 02/09/16 02:09 PM

> * D3D gives only a black screen, even though directX passes all the dxdiag tests.
> Using DX9.0c. If you start a game from the command-line, it runs but you can't see
> anything. Current GIT version will freeze instead of showing the UI. If you tell it
> to show the old ui, then it doesn't freeze, but it's still black.
>
> I'm looking for suggestions from others that have XP on how to fix these issues - if
> it is fixable.

From what i have read, Mame UI use a "old" HLSL folder from 0169 in current 0170 and that is causing the black screen. We told it many times before, dont just replace the MAME.exe. HLSL is currently quite often updated and you will not find HLSL in the MAME.exe, it resides in the HLSL folder, where it belongs.

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

Re: MAME on XP new [Re: uman]
#350120 - 02/09/16 03:09 PM

> > * D3D gives only a black screen, even though directX passes all the dxdiag tests.
> > Using DX9.0c. If you start a game from the command-line, it runs but you can't see
> > anything. Current GIT version will freeze instead of showing the UI. If you tell it
> > to show the old ui, then it doesn't freeze, but it's still black.
> >
> > I'm looking for suggestions from others that have XP on how to fix these issues -
> if
> > it is fixable.
>
> From what i have read, Mame UI use a "old" HLSL folder from 0169 in current 0170 and
> that is causing the black screen. We told it many times before, dont just replace the
> MAME.exe. HLSL is currently quite often updated and you will not find HLSL in the
> MAME.exe, it resides in the HLSL folder, where it belongs.

Robbbert is a dev tho, I don't think he's THAT stupid*, he knows full well that you have to update the HLSL files too. In his case it's probably just a case that we're now doing something his crappy intel chipset can't support. (there was another point where we lots a lot of users due to doing something simple that an older one couldn't handle, they're just really shitty gfx chipsets)

* even if I do have some idiot bugging me telling me that he was giving advice that the correct way to upgrade MAME was to just drop a new .exe in the folder, and refusing to listen to me when I say it isn't 'because a dev told him so' (Personally I don't believe it tho, because again, I don't think Robbert is stupid enough to give such bad advice out)

uman
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: MAME on XP new [Re: Haze]
#350121 - 02/09/16 03:30 PM

> Robbbert is a dev tho, I don't think he's THAT stupid*, he knows full well that you
> have to update the HLSL files too. In his case it's probably just a case that we're
> now doing something his crappy intel chipset can't support. (there was another point
> where we lots a lot of users due to doing something simple that an older one couldn't
> handle, they're just really shitty gfx chipsets)
>
> * even if I do have some idiot bugging me telling me that he was giving advice that
> the correct way to upgrade MAME was to just drop a new .exe in the folder, and
> refusing to listen to me when I say it isn't 'because a dev told him so' (Personally
> I don't believe it tho, because again, I don't think Robbert is stupid enough to give
> such bad advice out)

Yeah Haze, but shit can happen you know You can read about it here: http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sho...new=#Post349923

We are all humans, born to make mistakes . A Intel chip can be crappy as fuck, but it wont happen, that it display a black screen (at least it didnt happen for me, the last 26 versions of MAME). The only thing that will happen, is a fabulous FPS of like 5-10 , but it will display something. I am really sorry, if my post looked harsh... I didnt want to upset people like Robbbert or you, it is quite the opposite and i am sure Robbbert will understand me. I always respected his work (especially the co-op with Mamesick) , I just think, that he did a mistake with the current version of Mame UI thats all .

Edited by uman (02/09/16 03:35 PM)

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

#350122 - 02/09/16 03:34 PM

> > Robbbert is a dev tho, I don't think he's THAT stupid*, he knows full well that you
> > have to update the HLSL files too. In his case it's probably just a case that we're
> > now doing something his crappy intel chipset can't support. (there was another
> point
> > where we lots a lot of users due to doing something simple that an older one
> couldn't
> > handle, they're just really shitty gfx chipsets)
> >
> > * even if I do have some idiot bugging me telling me that he was giving advice that
> > the correct way to upgrade MAME was to just drop a new .exe in the folder, and
> > refusing to listen to me when I say it isn't 'because a dev told him so'
> (Personally
> > I don't believe it tho, because again, I don't think Robbert is stupid enough to
> give
> > such bad advice out)
>
> Yeah Haze, shit can happen you know You can read about it here:
> http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sho...new=#Post349923
>
> We are all humans, born to make mistakes . A Intel chip can be crappy as fuck, but it
> wont happen, that it display a black screen (at least it didnt happen for me, the
> last 26 versions of MAME). The only thing that will happen, is a fabulous FPS of like
> 5-10 , but it will display something. I am really sorry, if my post looked harsh... i
> didnt want to upset people like Robbbert or you, it is quite the opposite and i am
> sure Robbbert will understand me. I always respected his work (especially the co-op
> with Mamesick) , I just think, that he did a mistake with the current version of Mame
> UI thats all .

certain intel chipsets have been displaying a black screen, even without HLSL (just D3D) for a while now..

before that some of them couldn't even handling rendering our fonts, but instead just rendered rectangles of garbage...

believe me, many of them aren't just slow, they're broken, or at least the drivers for them are.

uman
MAME Fan
Send PM

#350123 - 02/09/16 03:39 PM

> certain intel chipsets have been displaying a black screen, even without HLSL (just
> D3D) for a while now..
>
> before that some of them couldn't even handling rendering our fonts, but instead just
> rendered rectangles of garbage...
>
> believe me, many of them aren't just slow, they're broken, or at least the drivers
> for them are.

Mmmh strange, never heard of. I have a HD2500 and a HD4000, both never showed any of this . And i test a lot of Jezze´s work, before he submits his stuff. It would be good, if you have some examples for me, so i will try my best to replicate the errors, so Jezze might find a fix for it. Thats all i can do for now.

uman
MAME Fan
Send PM

#350125 - 02/09/16 05:07 PM

here is another link, that makes me believe, that i am not wrong with my assumption: http://forum.pleasuredome.org.uk/index.php?showtopic=28054#entry237583

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Send PM

#350139 - 02/09/16 08:35 PM

You posted a broken link

Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
32GB DDR4 RAM

uman
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: MAME on XP new [Re: Envisaged0ne]
#350140 - 02/09/16 08:37 PM

its not broken. you may need to be registered there, but hell, who is not on pleasure dome .

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

#350174 - 02/11/16 12:23 PM

> Now, on XP it still runs, but...
>
> * BGFX asserts at start, reason unknown.
>
> * Opengl crashes, probably video driver incapable of supporting it.
>
> * DDRAW and GDI work.
>
> * D3D gives only a black screen, even though directX passes all the dxdiag tests.
> Using DX9.0c. If you start a game from the command-line, it runs but you can't see
> anything. Current GIT version will freeze instead of showing the UI. If you tell it
> to show the old ui, then it doesn't freeze, but it's still black.
>
> I'm looking for suggestions from others that have XP on how to fix these issues - if
> it is fixable.

I can verify all these issues.

Upon testing 32-bit MAME 0.170+ compiled as of this revision:
https://github.com/mamedev/mame/commit/5258f167af35470690710e3f63069fc124f2dffc

Host machine: Dell Inspiron 700m
http://www.cnet.com/products/dell-inspiron-700m/specs/
(Positively pathetic hardware these days)

Video card: Intel(R) 82852/82855 GM/GME Graphics Controller
(ancient)

Game: Blasto (Gremlin, 1978)

Issues: See Pastebin for the full verbose log.
http://pastebin.com/1yMAYeK5

Comments:
- ddraw and gdi worked fine.

- opengl crashed as described.

- d3d seemed to run with the exception that you couldn't see anything, as mentioned above. I don't think it froze with the new UI since I was able to start the game blind.

- bgfx did not crash with a stack crawl but rather "This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way." with nothing logged.

- as it turns out, theme in common with Robbbert's test: Intel 855/865 graphics.

- Stiletto

Edited by Stiletto (02/11/16 12:38 PM)

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Reged: 03/14/15
Loc: UK
Send PM

#350175 - 02/11/16 01:04 PM

> its not broken. you may need to be registered there, but hell, who is not on pleasure
> dome .

Heh heh. I'd never heard of it. Sadly I got "The administrator is currently not accepting new membership registrations." when I tried to register.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: MAME on XP new [Re: Stiletto]
#350176 - 02/11/16 01:41 PM

Intel 865G-class graphics are a joke and I would be genuinely surprised if just about any sort of remotely modern application that uses D3D or anything or more runs. If someone gives me a good way to make D3D just fail to start outright, I would call that a fix, but I'm not going to spend time trying to get D3D work on such anemic hardware. If GDI and DDraw work, use them.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: MAME on XP new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#350177 - 02/11/16 02:37 PM

> Intel 865G-class graphics are a joke and I would be genuinely surprised if just about
> any sort of remotely modern application that uses D3D or anything or more runs. If
> someone gives me a good way to make D3D just fail to start outright, I would call
> that a fix, but I'm not going to spend time trying to get D3D work on such anemic
> hardware. If GDI and DDraw work, use them.

Hell, I remember Intel GMA950 (Silicon Image core) having absolutely terrible OpenGL performance, even for really simple things, as well as spotty feature coverage. The 865G is a generation older than that, it must be from about 2003. I wouldn't count on it doing any accelerated graphics.

uman
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: MAME on XP new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#350178 - 02/11/16 02:37 PM

I agree, i think its time for MAME to move on. HLSL could be also much better, if Jezze wouldnt need to keep in mind really old grafic-cards upon development. Intel 865G is 12 years old, if people seriously expect that new versions of MAME need to support this, then they should use older releases. I mean 12 years WTF, do yourself a favor and spend some money for actual hardware .

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#350180 - 02/11/16 05:16 PM

> I agree, i think its time for MAME to move on. HLSL could be also much better, if
> Jezze wouldnt need to keep in mind really old grafic-cards upon development. Intel
> 865G is 12 years old, if people seriously expect that new versions of MAME need to
> support this, then they should use older releases. I mean 12 years WTF, do yourself a
> favor and spend some money for actual hardware .

My GTX 970 has arrived and has been installed

http://i.imgur.com/Q4UorDC.png

Six more days until my Acer Predator XB271HU arrives

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#350181 - 02/11/16 05:55 PM

> I mean 12 years WTF, do yourself a favor and spend some money for actual hardware .

That and XP itself is approaching 15 years old, still has known vulnerabilities, and isn't getting actively patched.

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: MAME on XP new [Re: Vaughan]
#350187 - 02/11/16 08:56 PM

Same here. Never heard of it. Admins blocked new registration. Oh well

Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
32GB DDR4 RAM

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Reged: 05/22/13
Loc: Mount St. Lurkling
Send PM

Re: MAME on XP new [Re: Envisaged0ne]
#350241 - 02/13/16 08:46 PM

D3D works just fine in the latest MAME GIT release on my 13-year-old PC.

Here's my specs:

- Dell Dimension 4700 Series
- Intel Pentium 4 Processor 530 Supporting HT Technology
- 3.0 GHz, 800 MHz FSB, 1 MB L2 Cache
- 1 GB Memory RAM
- Microsoft Windows XP 32-Bit Home Edition Service Pack 3
- 128 MB ATI Radeon X300 SE
- Sound Blaster Live! 24-Bit

uman
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: MAME on XP new [Re: Big Karnak]
#350243 - 02/13/16 09:14 PM

maybe because you are using a dedicated graphics-card unlike the cases with the integrated intel graphic-card-chips, we discussed before .

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 742 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 4056