MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

[CONQUERED] BSOD error 0x7b - nothing has worked......
#349934 - 02/06/16 07:23 AM

Looked for the last two days.

First off:

It's a Gigabyte mobo: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2304#utility

I've been using it for years with various SATA drives. I recently replaced it with a new rig, and I was going to experiment with OC'ing this one. I put in an older IDE drive with 7 on it, which booted.

I then tried to add ram, and I got an error screen. I didn't notice the type, but then (re-)found out the mobo maxes at 2gb. Back to the old ram, and the IDE drive booted.

As this machine is faster than my old gaming rig, I replaced that with this - drive and video card went in, that's the only difference - and I got the 0x7b error.

Second:

The drive is a SATA 80gb. A cloned 250gb SATA has the same problem.

- there ain't no bios setting for AHCI/IDE; shit's all automatic

- there ain't no hard drive controller driver from Gigabyte

- won't boot into safe mode, neither

Third: looked in diskpart and found the data partition was listed twice - as 0 and 2. Partition 1 was system. Deleted 0 partition, but still won't boot.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

BIOS-D
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/07/06
Send PM

If that keeps you away from mass spamming... new [Re: Traso]
#349948 - 02/06/16 06:38 PM

If that keeps you away from mass spamming threads every 4 days with irrelevant info or bad humor, I hope you don't get any help.

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: BSOD error 0x7b - nothing has worked...... new [Re: Traso]
#349951 - 02/06/16 09:46 PM

> I've been using it for years with various SATA drives. I recently replaced it with a
> new rig, and I was going to experiment with OC'ing this one. I put in an older IDE
> drive with 7 on it, which booted.

Don't do that. Do a fresh installation. You're lucky that it boots at all.

The only OS that I know of which is pretty much guaranteed to work when using a drive from a different machine is OS X. With OS X all you have to do is delete the cache that contains the drivers that load on startup (before switching drives) then you can start up with any drive with OS X on any Mac - as long as the hardware "generation gap" is not too big.

Windows uh, how can I put it, it "wraps itself too tightly around the hardware" for that to work reliably. Even if it boots you're going to run into trouble sooner or later.

S

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

As my buddy from Virginia would say..... new [Re: BIOS-D]
#349967 - 02/07/16 02:36 AM

"Whydn't you go an beat yerself severely around the head an neck."

HEHN HEHN HEHN HEHN HEHN HEHN HEHN. Always loved that one.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: BSOD error 0x7b - nothing has worked...... new [Re: Sune]
#349968 - 02/07/16 02:38 AM

> Don't do that. Do a fresh installation...Windows uh, how can I put it, it "wraps itself too tightly around the hardware" for that to work reliably. Even if it boots you're going to run into trouble sooner or later.

S

Wehhl. That's what a lot of people have done apparently. Thing is, it's TinyXP, so it shouldn't be doing that. Right?

URherenow
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Re: BSOD error 0x7b - nothing has worked...... new [Re: Sune]
#349997 - 02/07/16 02:22 PM

> The only OS that I know of which is pretty much guaranteed to work when using a drive
> from a different machine is OS X. With OS X all you have to do is delete the cache
> that contains the drivers that load on startup (before switching drives)

You can do the same thing with Windows. It's just not that straight forward. It takes a good bit of googling to find a decent tutorial, but there are programs that take care of it for you. Acronis True Image has a function to "restore to different hardware", for example.

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Well, I can install fresh..... new [Re: Traso]
#350755 - 02/27/16 04:29 AM

At least from disc (didn't try flash drive), but there's apparently something missing or that this other machine doesn't like in the image of the old drive. I thought maybe installing fresh would format the drive with that missing partition thingie....but who knows....I can't clone. And whatever 'move disc to new hardware thing' there is ain't in the version I have.

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: BSOD error 0x7b - nothing has worked...... new [Re: Traso]
#350792 - 02/27/16 09:20 PM

Time to retire that one bro.

Look for some budget (If money is an issue) LGA 1150 and get the best Intel CPU you can afford.

Pimp it out with a good SSD and fire RAM

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Nah, I beat it.... new [Re: B2K24]
#350815 - 02/28/16 08:25 AM

Beat it DEAD. Hehn. So today it came to me: INFs....holy shit. Except that was a chore of command line stuff. But I found a page where an IT dude had exactly this issue on the line: he said delete video and audio drivers (I had thought of this along with INF), and IDE stuff, through the CP. Can't do the latter through CP....and then I remembered another earlier page where the person said you just have to uninstall the 82801 dealies from Hardware Manager, but that wasn't good enough....so I went back and deleted the IDE stuff via there.

It booted into Windows. YEAY. But.....no peripherals. At all. Ummm...... Now I'm not sure what happened, between plugging and unplugging ps/2 and usb perfs, and moving around the usb keymouse deal....but finally the usb mouse worked. So then I went and installed the mobo drivers and all, and I'm all good.

[]X[]TERMINATOR

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 138 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2157