Pages: 1

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

You have to refresh the desktop?
#349740 - 01/30/16 12:11 PM

(Win7) For it to correctly show what icons and folders you have after you've deleted and/or renamed them? Give me an effing break!

LEVEL-4

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Reged: 03/14/15
Loc: UK
Send PM

Re: You have to refresh the desktop? new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#349847 - 02/03/16 01:56 PM

No you don't.

Glad I could be of help.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Re: You have to refresh the desktop? new [Re: Vaughan]
#349848 - 02/03/16 03:56 PM

> No you don't.
>
> Glad I could be of help.

Eh, this is on a computer at work. It's on a network... I did mess around with some stuff. But before that, I went to make a new folder on the desktop. I titled it 'Unused Desktop Icons', then it appears as 'New Folder(3)'. And I'm like; "WTF?" I click on it to change the name, and it wouldn't take...

Anyway, I found out it displayed the correct name for the folders, or if I had moved something to the Recycle Bin, that it would show it wasn't there - after I right clicked and (whatever) and clicked on Refresh.

LEVEL-4

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Reged: 03/14/15
Loc: UK
Send PM

#349852 - 02/03/16 06:53 PM

There a lot of variables there. In normal Windows 7 you do not ever have to refresh the desktop. However, badly defragmented discs, poor video drivers (or a poor choice of resolution/refresh), an under-nourished system (lack of RAM, or a low setting for virtual memory), or some other app running can all affect the desktop negatively.

I run into issues sometimes, but they're understandable. For example, I swap USB drives a lot, and I have some icons on the desktop that point to apps on them. If the system boots and can't find the app (I've swapped the drive) then the icon will disappear, because it's no longer valid. Simply plugging the drive doesn't fix it, because I'm impatient, and don't let the full scan take place. A reboot fixes that. You might also see the same kind of thing happening to icons pointing to network resources. If the system is rebooted and the network resource isn't available, the icons won't appear correctly.

Computers...... huh?

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

#349855 - 02/03/16 08:47 PM

> > No you don't.
> >
> > Glad I could be of help.
>
>
> Eh, this is on a computer at work. It's on a network.

If your user profile is on another computer and it has to load and refresh the desktop across the network.. then why not.

I use an image resizer that installs itself in the context menu. When I right click on an image to resize it and have it replace the original file, the icons of the images disappear and I have to refresh the desktop to see them. This is on Windows 7. But it doesn't do that with anything else.

S

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 377 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1508