MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

gamez fan
Reged: 02/23/13
Send PM

Toaplan Decapping
#349483 - 01/23/16 03:44 AM

I've had alotta fun outta MAME over the years and to give a little something back as people do when they die and have enjoyed certain things in life they figure they'll leave a donation in their will i figured around £2000 would help the MAME cause.

Now when i read the following i had a change of plan........

Quote:

The Toaplan sound emulation suffered a similar fate, before there were shitty samples for a bunch of the games people were more interested in donating to get the real chips decapped (although, no guarantee that will succeed – but now we don’t even have funds coming in to try).

Now obviously ive been naive here i wrongly assumed that...

A)There was a fund for the above
B)you could donate to said fund and the boards would be sent off to be professionally decapped.
c)we would then with a bit of luck finally see sound emulated in all the Toaplan games

So as i said since i was planning to leave a little something to MAME in my will i thought why not bring that forward and offer to donate it right now towards to Toaplan decapping project and then to be laughed at and mocked on the MESS chat for doing so makes me think no wonder the Toaplan games are in the currant state they are.

Well after that you can understand why the offer is now cancelled and for the record like this thread it was no attention seeking exercise the offer as it stood was totally legit i have no more to say about this and wont post further in this thread

Arcade Addict

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Toaplan Decapping new [Re: gamez fan]
#349485 - 01/23/16 04:20 AM

You posted this to a new thread. We have at least one of the Toaplan boards with that chip so if decapping becomes an option we could try it but it might not do any good. Decapping got a rep for always being the end-all solution but it's not. It will be interesting in the future to watch what happens but a lot of people have no motivation for it anymore after our chips were pointlessly stolen (they can't possibly do anyone else any good).

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

Re: Toaplan Decapping new [Re: Smitdogg]
#349486 - 01/23/16 04:23 AM

> You posted this to a new thread. We have at least one of the Toaplan boards with that
> chip so if decapping becomes an option we could try it but it might not do any good.
> Decapping got a rep for always being the end-all solution but it's not. It will be
> interesting in the future to watch what happens but a lot of people have no
> motivation for it anymore after our chips were pointlessly stolen (they can't
> possibly do anyone else any good).

That's a shame that so many have so little motivation to resolve this problem. Isn't the whole point of Mame to preserve arcade games in their entirety? Why give up so easily?

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Re: Toaplan Decapping new [Re: Master O]
#349487 - 01/23/16 04:26 AM

There are still people trying to decap but well maybe you should work for a decade spending your money and time on something and then have it all ripped from under your feet and then you'd understand.

RobbbertModerator
Sir
Reged: 08/21/04
Loc: A long way from you
Send PM

#349491 - 01/23/16 05:33 AM

-

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Decapping isn't easy to do. new [Re: gamez fan]
#349493 - 01/23/16 06:52 AM

I couldn't do it. Just saying.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

gamez fan
Send PM

Re: Toaplan Decapping new [Re: Robbbert]
#349500 - 01/23/16 03:45 PM

Quote:

I pulled the logs for #messdev, to see what the problem was. There's too much to paste, but basically it was suggested, multiple times, that gamezfan (a.k.a. Arcade
Addict) should do the investigation himself instead of 'whining about it'. I didn't
see any laughing or mocking.

There was a few lol's and cheeky comments when i made the suggestion to fund the buying of the PCB's namely Vimana Ghox and Fire Shark and then send em to some tech company with the facilities to possibly decap and read out the contents of the the MCU now im thick skinned and dont take the huff easily but when you offer to help with something and it's flung back in your face and suggested im whining it just makes me think Fuck it.

Now i'll be straight with ya's here when i offer to fund someting through either the
DU or Guru im not gonna do research into it why should i..??? im offering to help
im not asking for help know what i mean..??? i thought just send the funds and let you guys who are i assume in the know obtain the PCB's and hopefully find someone who can then decap the boards then it'll either be a success or a total failure i was willing
to toss the coin here.

Anyway i might be dead next week next year or 10 years who knows if MAME's still around
then the DU will get £2000 left in my will to do what they want with if not then it'll go to some dogs home instead

Arcade Addict

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Send PM

#349506 - 01/23/16 05:59 PM

> I pulled the logs for #messdev, to see what the problem was. There's too much to
> paste, but basically it was suggested, multiple times, that gamezfan (a.k.a. Arcade
> Addict) should do the investigation himself instead of 'whining about it'. I didn't
> see any laughing or mocking.
>
>
> There was a few lol's and cheeky comments when i made the suggestion to fund the
> buying of the PCB's namely Vimana Ghox and Fire Shark and then send em to some tech
> company with the facilities to possibly decap and read out the contents of the the
> MCU now im thick skinned and dont take the huff easily but when you offer to help
> with something and it's flung back in your face and suggested im whining it just
> makes me think Fuck it.
>
> Now i'll be straight with ya's here when i offer to fund someting through either the
> DU or Guru im not gonna do research into it why should i..??? im offering to help
> im not asking for help know what i mean..??? i thought just send the funds and let
> you guys who are i assume in the know obtain the PCB's and hopefully find someone who
> can then decap the boards then it'll either be a success or a total failure i was
> willing
> to toss the coin here.
>
> Anyway i might be dead next week next year or 10 years who knows if MAME's still
> around
> then the DU will get £2000 left in my will to do what they want with if not then
> it'll go to some dogs home instead

You say you're thick skinned, but you're certainly taking those comments very personally. Why not just ignore them and donate to Guru if you feel so strongly about getting those chips decapped?

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

Haze
Reged: 09/23/03
Send PM

#349508 - 01/23/16 06:55 PM

> Why not just ignore them and donate to Guru if you feel so strongly about
> getting those chips decapped?

well you'd have to be a complete and utter moron to donate to Guru towards any decap task (or anything else for that matter based on his recent behavior* if you ask me) so there's that.

* he's openly said he'll sell PCBs we still need just because nobody has actively worked on extracting data from them etc.

gamez fan
Send PM

Re: Toaplan Decapping new [Re: Haze]
#349509 - 01/23/16 07:03 PM

Someone told me the guy that does the decapping for Guru has a broken rig at the moment so is therefor unable to do any work
of that type currantly.

I have infact sent a PM to smitdogg offering if all else fails and he wants to try a decap on the Toaplan PCB the DU curratly have then to contact me and im fully prepaired to give a donation towards that task so as far as im concerned thats it until
i hear otherwise

Arcade Addict

Haze
Send PM

#349515 - 01/23/16 11:45 PM

The guy who was offering the 'too good to be true' prices on the decapping sold his company and lost / kept most of the chips that had been sent to him.

Even when he did some work for MAME, he didn't really do anything that interesting, or fully handle any chips as exotic as the Toaplan MCUs, just common things, many of which he broke in the process too, or where the dumps were bad and we had to hand fix them.

The guys doing work for the non-arcade side of the project are doing a FAR better job than any of Guru's contacts ever did, but as they're more honest than Guru they'll not try and get you to send hundreds of chips they can't deal with.

> Someone told me the guy that does the decapping for Guru has a broken rig at the
> moment so is therefor unable to do any work
> of that type currantly.
>
> I have infact sent a PM to smitdogg offering if all else fails and he wants to try a
> decap on the Toaplan PCB the DU curratly have then to contact me and im fully
> prepaired to give a donation towards that task so as far as im concerned thats it
> until
> i hear otherwise

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#349519 - 01/24/16 04:18 AM

Look, there are a whole lot of problems with your expectations.

First of all £2,000 is not a large amount in the scheme of things. Plenty of people have contributed more than that to secure exotic items. Throwing around “£2,000” really isn’t going to get anyone excited.

Secondly, decapping usually ends up destroying the chips. A cash offer doesn’t translate to finding a person in possession of the board(s) chip(s) you want decapped prepared to have their hardware destroyed.

Thirdly, there’s no guarantee that we would actually recover data from the Toaplan sound chips by decapping them. It’s possible that decapping the chips could result in them being destroyed only for us to find out that we should have done it differently, or even for us to realise that we don’t have the ability to recover data at all. Would you want to take that risk if it was your board?

Fourthly, the Dr Decapitator saga left a very bad taste in everyone’s mouths. He promised the world, but ended up destroying a number of chips for very poor results. Then he sold his company, lost or stole the remaining chips that had been sent to him, and stopped responding to us. This has made people are rather wary of promises.

So really, you need to adjust your expectations. Your offer really wasn’t as exciting as you seem to think it should have been, and there’s no way we could promise what you want delivered for it.

Renegade
Got No Where Else to Go
Reged: 10/01/03
Send PM

#349523 - 01/24/16 07:41 AM

> The guy who was offering the 'too good to be true' prices on the decapping sold his
> company and lost / kept most of the chips that had been sent to him.
>
> Even when he did some work for MAME, he didn't really do anything that interesting,
> or fully handle any chips as exotic as the Toaplan MCUs, just common things, many of
> which he broke in the process too, or where the dumps were bad and we had to hand fix
> them.
>
> The guys doing work for the non-arcade side of the project are doing a FAR better job
> than any of Guru's contacts ever did, but as they're more honest than Guru they'll
> not try and get you to send hundreds of chips they can't deal with.
>
> > Someone told me the guy that does the decapping for Guru has a broken rig at the
> > moment so is therefor unable to do any work
> > of that type currantly.
> >
> > I have infact sent a PM to smitdogg offering if all else fails and he wants to try
> a
> > decap on the Toaplan PCB the DU curratly have then to contact me and im fully
> > prepaired to give a donation towards that task so as far as im concerned thats it
> > until
> > i hear otherwise

Ok I'm not trying to upset anyone just curious.

I understand the bad taste the doc left and I understand the dev members being gun shy about sending off other chips but I was wondering has anyone else been found that A·Shown any interest in doing it B·Actually has the tooling and knowledge to do it and C· Trustworthy enough to send them chips once they are acquired ?
I understand it's not a guarantee that this will work on or for any of the chips, just a couple games I always wondered if it would possibly work on is all. And back in the day the consensus was it might be the only way to get them running.

Just wondering if there maybe hope someday down the road....

Only here to annoy...

LensLarque
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/19/08
Send PM

Re: Toaplan Decapping new [Re: Renegade]
#349528 - 01/24/16 02:07 PM

There are a few builds around that have the Toaplan samples enabled, just use those.

Let's be honest for most of us this means only playing Fire Shark a few credits until we're done being raped by the game.

Vimana is boring and Ghox, well, most of us don't have the proper controller to really enjoy it.

> MAME isn't about playing the games anyway.

Haze
Send PM

Re: Toaplan Decapping new [Re: LensLarque]
#349529 - 01/24/16 02:55 PM

> There are a few builds around that have the Toaplan samples enabled, just use those.
>
> Let's be honest for most of us this means only playing Fire Shark a few credits until
> we're done being raped by the game.
>
> Vimana is boring and Ghox, well, most of us don't have the proper controller to
> really enjoy it.

the whole point of this thread is that some of us want to see this done properly, instead of that ghastly solution.

the problem is because of that ghastly solution, less people are putting in an effort to try (or put put funds toward) seeking a proper solution, you are proof of this.

doing it properly will be expensive, let's not kid ourselves, and these are off-the shelf chips, not even custom jobs, 'good enough' is very much the enemy here.

LensLarque
MAME Fan
Reged: 02/19/08
Send PM

#349530 - 01/24/16 03:15 PM

I understand very well, you guys have explained the issues and challenge with that sort of job, so it won't happen tomorrow nor the day after for good reasons.

What I meant is for people who are in a hurry to play those few sound-less Toaplan games, and if they are not aware it's a poor solution, well too bad for them...

Haze
Send PM

Re: Toaplan Decapping new [Re: LensLarque]
#349532 - 01/24/16 04:07 PM

> I understand very well, you guys have explained the issues and challenge with that
> sort of job, so it won't happen tomorrow nor the day after for good reasons.
>
> What I meant is for people who are in a hurry to play those few sound-less Toaplan
> games, and if they are not aware it's a poor solution, well too bad for them...

fair enough, at least you acknowledge that it isn't really a great solution, i've found it quite depressing reading elsewhere that people now consider these 'done' because of the sample support.

getting the code out of the various MCUs on arcade boards is going to be a long and expensive task, not just toaplan, but plenty of the others too, I would say probably one of the most difficult and expensive undertakings we've seen, for results a lot of people aren't going to notice, but given the way PCB prices are rising at the moment there's room for debate there (and of course, the worst case scenarios of when prototypes have MCUs, nobody wants to risk those without a solid non-destructive solution! and yes, some did have MCUs, especially ones which were near production stage)

we do need to work out what priorities are with such things, personally I'd say any MCUs containing important game data that can't accurately be represented without the MCU code should be the key ones, and as the Toaplan ones contain all the music sequence data (that you would struggle to reconstruct 1:1 from just hearing the samples or even probing the commands sent to the YM) those count.

unfortunately previous decapping efforts, too many chips that weren't REALLY needed got sent, chips that when decapped told us absolutely nothing we didn't know, while ones that were critical to getting games running properly were left untouched. we do need to avoid a repeat of that ;-)

decapping isn't even the magical solution it's made out to be, although it can tell us more about the chips in order to maybe find another way to read them out, anything that isn't using a MASK rom internally can't be dumped using visual techniques and a lot of these MCUs, including the Toaplan ones fall into that category. All decapping might help show us is where the protection bits in the MCU are, giving hints at how we might be able to wipe them in order to read the chip out without destroying the actual game data etc.

the worst part is, none of this is something us software dev guys who contribute to MAME can really help with, it's in the hands of the hardware guys and those able to make contacts, and supply the funds + chips to make it happen.

gamez fan
Send PM

#349535 - 01/24/16 04:49 PM

Quote:

we do need to work out what priorities are with such things, personally I'd say any
MCUs containing important game data that can't accurately be represented without the
MCU code should be the key ones, and as the Toaplan ones contain all the music
sequence data (that you would struggle to reconstruct 1:1 from just hearing the
samples or even probing the commands sent to the YM) those count.

unfortunately previous decapping efforts, too many chips that weren't REALLY needed
got sent, chips that when decapped told us absolutely nothing we didn't know, while
ones that were critical to getting games running properly were left untouched. we do
need to avoid a repeat of that ;-)

It would be interesting to hear your views on what ones you think should be top of the list
to have their MCU's read out and offer the most chance of success..??? Certainly one other
game i know would benefit from this is Tatakae Big Fighter

Now i must admit im one of those that use the samples for the toaplan games and im happy
with how they sound taking the few sound although incorrect samples is better than no sound
but i also think that if possible preserving the True proper sound code in MAME is the
favoured option before that option becomes impossible but i understand it wont be easy or
happen any time soon

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Send PM

#349536 - 01/24/16 04:57 PM

> > I understand very well, you guys have explained the issues and challenge with that
> > sort of job, so it won't happen tomorrow nor the day after for good reasons.
> >
> > What I meant is for people who are in a hurry to play those few sound-less Toaplan
> > games, and if they are not aware it's a poor solution, well too bad for them...
>
> fair enough, at least you acknowledge that it isn't really a great solution, i've
> found it quite depressing reading elsewhere that people now consider these 'done'
> because of the sample support.
>
> getting the code out of the various MCUs on arcade boards is going to be a long and
> expensive task, not just toaplan, but plenty of the others too, I would say probably
> one of the most difficult and expensive undertakings we've seen, for results a lot of
> people aren't going to notice, but given the way PCB prices are rising at the moment
> there's room for debate there (and of course, the worst case scenarios of when
> prototypes have MCUs, nobody wants to risk those without a solid non-destructive
> solution! and yes, some did have MCUs, especially ones which were near production
> stage)
>
> we do need to work out what priorities are with such things, personally I'd say any
> MCUs containing important game data that can't accurately be represented without the
> MCU code should be the key ones, and as the Toaplan ones contain all the music
> sequence data (that you would struggle to reconstruct 1:1 from just hearing the
> samples or even probing the commands sent to the YM) those count.
>
> unfortunately previous decapping efforts, too many chips that weren't REALLY needed
> got sent, chips that when decapped told us absolutely nothing we didn't know, while
> ones that were critical to getting games running properly were left untouched. we do
> need to avoid a repeat of that ;-)
>
> decapping isn't even the magical solution it's made out to be, although it can tell
> us more about the chips in order to maybe find another way to read them out, anything
> that isn't using a MASK rom internally can't be dumped using visual techniques and a
> lot of these MCUs, including the Toaplan ones fall into that category. All decapping
> might help show us is where the protection bits in the MCU are, giving hints at how
> we might be able to wipe them in order to read the chip out without destroying the
> actual game data etc.
>
> the worst part is, none of this is something us software dev guys who contribute to
> MAME can really help with, it's in the hands of the hardware guys and those able to
> make contacts, and supply the funds + chips to make it happen.

You mentioned earlier in the thread that people who help on the non-arcade sytems in MESS/MAME have a lot better hardware dumping contacts than Guru's.

Would any of their expertise be of help on such specialized chips?

It can't hurt to ask, after all.

jonwil
Lurker
Reged: 10/06/03
Send PM

#349555 - 01/25/16 01:58 AM

At least decapping did get us a few very useful chips (I believe both the Data East BSMT2000 sound chip and the qsound chip from various Capcom games were dumped, among others)

In terms of chips that are considered "important" and worth getting, would the graphics DSP chips on the Sega Model 1 boards count in that category?

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#349566 - 01/25/16 11:01 AM

> You mentioned earlier in the thread that people who help on the non-arcade sytems in
> MESS/MAME have a lot better hardware dumping contacts than Guru's.
>
> Would any of their expertise be of help on such specialized chips?
>
> It can't hurt to ask, after all.

For the most part they've been doing older microcontrollers with onboard mask ROM. They haven't been attempting anything that can't be read visually.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: Toaplan Decapping new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#349570 - 01/25/16 11:33 AM

>For the most part they've been doing older microcontrollers with onboard mask ROM. They
>haven't been attempting anything that can't be read visually.

I am impressed reading about the recent emulation improvements of the speech hardware used with the various TI products from 1970s and 1980s. And also Ed's recent contribution is a big deal too...imo.

-
near-complete rewrite by Ed Bernard

src/devices/sound/s14001a.cpp

SSi TSI S14001A speech IC
-

Olivier Galibert
Semi-Lurker
Reged: 09/21/03
Send PM

Re: Toaplan Decapping new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#349594 - 01/26/16 10:15 AM

> For the most part they've been doing older microcontrollers with onboard mask ROM.
> They haven't been attempting anything that can't be read visually.

In practice they have, and it didn't work out, even if it was close (saturn cdrom sh1).

OG.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 318 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2815