View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

DrLarryE
Lurker
Reged: 01/06/08
Send PM

Kind of a Noobie Question
#349309 - 01/16/16 08:32 PM

I've had MAME quite a while but I don't do anything but play the games so I guess I'm a noobie as far as the inner workings go. I have version 0.135 and want to know if certain games are playable or work better in the newest version. Is there an easy way to check? (I forget the name of the site that you could search all the info for the games, but I remember that it is no more...) If I switch to a new version of MAME would I need to re-set up MAMEWah or would the current setup work? Being too lazy to set it all up again is why I don't just upgrade to the newest version and try the games. Thanks

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/06
Send PM

Re: Kind of a Noobie Question new [Re: DrLarryE]
#349311 - 01/16/16 10:08 PM

No. The updates to MAME don't make the games more playable or fix any bugs. They just release a new build from time to time to keep the nerdy fans happy. Don't bother downloading the latest version and seeing for yourself if there's any improvements or bug fixes.

We don't know what games you're playing. Everyone is going to suggest that you update to the latest version. So, my advice, is take the 2 seconds to do it and decide for yourself

Edited by Envisaged0ne (01/16/16 10:12 PM)

Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
32GB DDR4 RAM

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

I like that response..... new [Re: Envisaged0ne]
#349322 - 01/17/16 02:41 AM

Particularly the first paragraph.

Anyways - in some contrast - I'm going to say: if you're happy with how everything works now, don't fuck it up. If you want to learn at least a little bit about things, then go ahead.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

The answer is yes new [Re: DrLarryE]
#349337 - 01/17/16 05:55 AM

> I've had MAME quite a while but I don't do anything but play the games so I guess I'm
> a noobie as far as the inner workings go. I have version 0.135 and want to know if
> certain games are playable or work better in the newest version.

Certain games are playable and/or work better in the newest version.

S

DrLarryE
Lurker
Send PM

Re: Kind of a Noobie Question new [Re: Envisaged0ne]
#349356 - 01/17/16 07:33 PM

> No. The updates to MAME don't make the games more playable or fix any bugs.

I'm not arguing with this statement, but I want to understand it better. Don't new versions of MAME often work with updated ROMs, therefore making some games more playable? For example Mini Golf gives the message "One or more Roms....". Wouldn't it likely be more playable if there were more correct/complete ROMs for it? As for the MAMEWah question, I'll ask it on that forum....if the new version will just slide into the old setup it should be no problem.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

#349365 - 01/18/16 01:25 AM

> > No. The updates to MAME don't make the games more playable or fix any bugs.
>
> I'm not arguing with this statement, but I want to understand it better. Don't new
> versions of MAME often work with updated ROMs, therefore making some games more
> playable? For example Mini Golf gives the message "One or more Roms....". Wouldn't it
> likely be more playable if there were more correct/complete ROMs for it?

Sometimes having more ROMs dumped helps, sometimes they'll do nothing until the emulator authors understand what they're for and how they get used.

Honestly, what I got from the first part of Envisaged0ne's post was a huge dose of sarcasm.

- Stiletto

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#349367 - 01/18/16 05:00 AM

> For example Mini Golf gives the message "One or more Roms....".

Then you, personally, are missing those ROMs; it's not a MAME-wide phenomenon.

Master O
Yes, Even Parodius Music
Reged: 11/20/06
Send PM

#349368 - 01/18/16 05:34 AM

> I've had MAME quite a while but I don't do anything but play the games so I guess I'm
> a noobie as far as the inner workings go. I have version 0.135 and want to know if
> certain games are playable or work better in the newest version. Is there an easy way
> to check? (I forget the name of the site that you could search all the info for the
> games, but I remember that it is no more...) If I switch to a new version of MAME
> would I need to re-set up MAMEWah or would the current setup work? Being too lazy to
> set it all up again is why I don't just upgrade to the newest version and try the
> games. Thanks

To make a long story short, Mame updates itself every so often. When it is updated, many of its romsets are also updated to reflect the proper emulation of the said games in question.

If you download a new version of mame and you get that error message about missing roms, you must update your romset for the game(s) in question that you want to play, or the game(s) in question will not work.

"Note to Noobs:

We are glad to help you but simply posting that something does not work is not going to lead to you getting help. The more information you can supply defining your problem, the less likely it will be that you will get smart-alec replies.

C.D.~"

DrLarryE
Lurker
Send PM

Re: Kind of a Noobie Question new [Re: R. Belmont]
#349425 - 01/20/16 01:53 PM

> > For example Mini Golf gives the message "One or more Roms....".
>
> Then you, personally, are missing those ROMs; it's not a MAME-wide phenomenon.

Could you tell me what would happen in this scenario. When I installed MAME 0.135 I also had what was supposed to be a full set of ROMs available at the time. If that was correct, and I add updated ROMs or ROMs that were not avaiable at that time would MAME have to be updated or would the older version work?

DrLarryE
Lurker
Send PM

Re: Kind of a Noobie Question new [Re: Stiletto]
#349426 - 01/20/16 01:55 PM

> Honestly, what I got from the first part of Envisaged0ne's post was a huge dose of
> sarcasm.
>
> - Stiletto

I kind of thought so, but don't know enough about what I am asking to be sure. Thanks

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/06
Send PM

#349428 - 01/20/16 03:27 PM

It depends. If it just added new roms, then the older version would still work. However, sometimes the ROM names get changed, or the files within the ROM's zip file change also. In that case, the older version of MAME wouldn't work because it's looking for the original files/names.

Example: SF2T rom set later changed to SF2HFJ. So older vesions of MAME wouldn't recognize the updated name.

Edited by Envisaged0ne (01/20/16 03:28 PM)

Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
32GB DDR4 RAM

Roman
Regular
Send PM

Re: Kind of a Noobie Question new [Re: Envisaged0ne]
#349429 - 01/20/16 03:32 PM

MAME loads by rom checksums and not by rom name...so renamed rom files don't matter...renamed sets however can matter (MAME runs through all sets within the parent/clone relationship...so depending on the name it might still work).

To sum it up: Audit your sets so they fit YOUR used MAME binary...

DrLarryE
Lurker
Send PM

Re: Kind of a Noobie Question new [Re: R. Belmont]
#349552 - 01/25/16 01:08 AM

For Mingolf, from the above example, the current version of MAME gives the message "There are known problems with this machine One or more ROMs/CHDs for this machine have not been correctly dumped". The wording of this message seems to me to mean "MAME" knows the perfect/correct ROMs are not available, right? Therefore they were not available in v0.135, correct? (The game works)

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 225 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2057