MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Reged: 05/22/13
Loc: Mount St. Lurkling
Send PM

What free basic video trimmer do you recommend?
#348553 - 12/30/15 05:34 AM

I'm looking for a video trimmer software that meets my following requirements.

- Free
- Basic and easy to use for 1st time user.
- I only need it to trim videos.
- Very little quality lost.
- Supports mp4 and flash videos.

Edited by Big Karnak (12/30/15 06:08 AM)

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: What free basic video trimmer do you recommend? new [Re: Big Karnak]
#348554 - 12/30/15 05:47 AM

> - No video quality lost.
> - Supports mp4 and flash videos.

These requirements are mutually incompatible. You can't trim MP4 and flash videos without re-encoding and losing quality.

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Send PM

Re: What free basic video trimmer do you recommend? new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#348555 - 12/30/15 06:07 AM

Quote:

These requirements are mutually incompatible. You can't trim MP4 and flash videos without re-encoding and losing quality.

Okay. Then very little quality loss. I'll update my original post with this.

redk9258
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Troy, Illinois USA
Send PM

#348556 - 12/30/15 07:17 AM

Not free, but worth it...
http://www.videoredo.com/en/Products_TVSuite_V5.html

Pi
Allergic to life
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Room 101
Send PM

#348558 - 12/30/15 09:50 AM

> I'm looking for a video trimmer software that meets my following requirements.

> - Very little quality lost.
> - Supports mp4 and flash videos.

Just to clear things up: You can meet your requirements it you don't confuse stuff. MP4 files encoded with x264 and alikes (the new generation of XviD/DX50) can be trimmed at keyframes with maybe only a couple of bad frames. MP4 (the file format container) just has H.264 video. Flash video (the file format container) can have a variety of codecs. Some of these codecs can be trimmed losslessly, others must be reencoded.

Since I use neither format, I can't recommend any actual software. Actually I rarely do any trimming anymore so the last one was VirtualDub but that's only for AVI files. For the very few times I need a piece of video, I cut it manually with MKVToolnix but that only produces MKV files. I'm sure there must be something straightforward that can allow a variety of formats and lossless trim.

Uh I just remembered TEncoder. It allows lossless format change and IIRC it allowed a selection of a part of the video. Tell us if that's what you need:
http://tencoder.sourceforge.net/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/tencoder/files/

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.
I can't get it right / Get it right / Since I met you...

Orc
A Motivated, Liquidated Nightmare..... Like A Baby With A Laser On A Rocking Chair
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Dorset, UK
Send PM

Pair of scissors.....{nt} new [Re: Big Karnak]
#348677 - 01/01/16 05:34 AM

This is what happens when cabby no fitty through door...
http://orc.mameworld.info

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Send PM

Re: What free basic video trimmer do you recommend? new [Re: Pi]
#348680 - 01/01/16 08:08 AM

TEncoder has a whole bunch of bundled crapware. It tried installing like 5 different programs during installation. Luckily I was careful. It also looks complicated.

I just want a simple, basic program that can trim mp4 and flash videos with little quality loss. I don't need it for any other functions.

remax
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/12
Send PM

#348698 - 01/01/16 07:24 PM

> TEncoder has a whole bunch of bundled crapware. It tried installing like 5 different
> programs during installation. Luckily I was careful. It also looks complicated.
>
> I just want a simple, basic program that can trim mp4 and flash videos with little
> quality loss. I don't need it for any other functions.

Avidemux might match your goal... It's free and quite intuitive.

gregf
Ramtek's Trivia promoter
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: southern CA, US
Send PM

Re: Pair of scissors.....{nt} new [Re: Orc]
#348881 - 01/05/16 08:47 AM

Heh. I missed your post.

You have briefly returned Wild Gunman drummer.

btw: Something to eventually appear on the emuchat forum within this week. Maybe you might remember it? It is a part of WG, but it is not film reels unfortunate to say. I'll message you later when it gets posted.

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Send PM

Re: What free basic video trimmer do you recommend? new [Re: remax]
#349142 - 01/11/16 03:44 AM

Avidemux did the trick. Thanks.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

#349185 - 01/12/16 05:30 AM

> Avidemux did the trick. Thanks.

It didn't appear to do this from the description, but would it allow me to edit or add sections of other videos into one? (basic video editing -I suppose).

LEVEL-4

Moose
Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Reged: 05/03/04
Loc: Outback, Australia
Send PM

Re: What free basic video trimmer do you recommend? new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#349292 - 01/16/16 12:48 AM

> > - No video quality lost.
> > - Supports mp4 and flash videos.
>
> These requirements are mutually incompatible. You can't trim MP4 and flash videos
> without re-encoding and losing quality.

WRONG !!

There are various tools out there that let you do just that - trim AVI, MP4, FLV, etc videos without ANY re-encoding or ANY loss of quality.

e.g. Solveig Video Splitter (http://solveigmm.com/).

I used Solveig a *lot* over 3-4 years (from v1.6 to v3.6) to trim 100's of videos.

In the vast majority of cases, Solveig is accurate on its trimming to the frame you want to trim at - it does NOT need to go back / forward to the nearest keyframe. However, it isn't perfect - or at least it wasn't last time I tried it (v3.6, May-2013). Sometimes, for some video formats, it does need to go to the keyframe. But the devs were improving this all the time (adding in support for more quirks of various formats).

Moose

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: What free basic video trimmer do you recommend? new [Re: Moose]
#349297 - 01/16/16 03:13 AM

> > > - No video quality lost.
> > > - Supports mp4 and flash videos.
> >
> > These requirements are mutually incompatible. You can't trim MP4 and flash videos
> > without re-encoding and losing quality.
>
> WRONG !!
>
> There are various tools out there that let you do just that - trim AVI, MP4, FLV, etc
> videos without ANY re-encoding or ANY loss of quality.

First of all, "trim" is an imprecise term that could be interpreted as "crop" or "cut".

There's no way you can crop any vector-quantiser codec video without re-encoding, that won't happen.

You can't do lossless cuts on arbitrary frames in a video containing bidirectionally predicted frames.

Supposed your video uses the following frame type sequence (typical of MPEG2): IPBIPBIPB...
The P frames refer to the previous I frame, and the B frames refer to the previous and next I frame.
The frames will actually be stored/transmitted in the order 12435768...

You can do a lossless cut on an I or P frame, but you can't do a lossless cut on a B frame as it's stored/transmitted after an I frame that comes later in the display sequence, and needs data from it to be decoded. Cutting on the B frame would require re-encoding.

H.264 (common in FLV and MP4 videos) often uses a more complex frame type sequence like IPPBPPIPPBPP...
In this case the first two P frames refer to the I frame before them, the second two P frames refer the the I frame after them, and the B frame refers to the I frames on either side.
Frames are stored transmitted in order 123745678...

With this frame sequence you can only do a lossless cut on frames 1, 2, 3, 7, 8, 9... Cutting on other frames requires re-encoding.

That covers cuts where you're removing the part of the video after the cut point. If you're removing the part of the video before the cut point, there are still a limited set of frames you can cut on without requiring re-encoding, although it's a different set (in the second example it's 1, 5, 6, 7, 11, 12...).

Wishful thinking doesn't change the fact that these formats require re-encoding to allow cuts on arbitrary frames, even if it's only a few frames at the end of the video that would need to be re-encoded.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 221 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2064