MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

SmitdoggAdministrator
Reged: 09/18/03
Send PM

Potland
#345797 - 10/04/15 06:13 AM

Portland as of a couple of days ago is like a city wide 6 Flags over Marijuana. Marijuana Wonderland. Day 1 of legal recreational sales there were over 100 pot stores open in the city limits alone. There are countless just within walking distance from my apt, it is absolutely insane. There's an app that will walk you around to all the stores and has ratings for the pots at different shops and sorts by what you want to use the different strains for.

GatKongModerator
Tetris Mason
Reged: 04/20/07
Loc: Sector 9
Send PM

Re: Potland new [Re: Smitdogg]
#345804 - 10/04/15 06:00 PM

Just to be clear... Does this invite include space to crash in your place, or should we book a hotel?

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

#345805 - 10/04/15 06:03 PM

So, it's not Heroin City anymore?

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Potland new [Re: krick]
#345807 - 10/04/15 07:24 PM

I guess it can be if you want it bad enough.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Potland new [Re: GatKong]
#345808 - 10/04/15 07:25 PM

I have a self inflating queen size air mattress you can sleep on.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

usher in The Culture..... (nt) new [Re: Smitdogg]
#345862 - 10/06/15 05:17 AM

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Gyrovision
so many more levels...
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Area 51 Nevada
Send PM

#346201 - 10/23/15 10:02 AM

> Portland as of a couple of days ago is like a city wide 6 Flags over Marijuana.
> Marijuana Wonderland. Day 1 of legal recreational sales there were over 100 pot
> stores open in the city limits alone. There are countless just within walking
> distance from my apt, it is absolutely insane. There's an app that will walk you
> around to all the stores and has ratings for the pots at different shops and sorts by
> what you want to use the different strains for.

https://www.leafly.com/start-exploring
I found this site while exploring the Portland recreational shops. This site is amazingly educational. It's all about finding the right strain that works best with your body chemistry now that they are all being cataloged. It's no wonder pot has had such a bad rap, all we've ever known in states where it's still illegal is just trying to get the pot but we never had much say in what strain we will be getting other than if it's green or brown, just have to take what you can get. And that's wrong. Bags of weed that give you a pulsating headache, taste or smell like cat piss or want to eat the entire contents of the fridge and/or cupboards or paranoia deep destroya to the point you can't get anything done. It's really what made me give it up, not knowing what exactly you're getting other than a bag of mystery weed. Times have changed and I hope more states will be more open to recreational and take away all the guesswork. The Charlotte's Web story on CNN a perfect example identifying the key strain that worked best to help that little girl. Education is key to finding your own unique and perfect buzz. I may have stumbled across mine just once or twice in my life... that was long long ago, always hoping that one day I would find it again but never did.

SmitdoggAdministrator
Send PM

Re: Potland new [Re: Gyrovision]
#346218 - 10/23/15 09:44 PM

Leafly is the app I was talking about. I heard last night there are now over 200 weed stores in Portland (and it's not a big city). Anyway I think the different strains hit people differently but for me smoking strains that are heavier on the sativa end instead of indicas generally equates to giving up some of the euphoria for a slight case of anxiety. I think people buy them because they are known as the type that kind of speeds you up and indicas are known as the type that slows you down so they think it's better because it doesn't make you as tired or whatever. The whole speed up or slow down thing is really a myth that black and whites a more complex reality.

If I want something to speed me up I'll stick with coffee.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

#346230 - 10/23/15 11:02 PM

> Leafly is the app I was talking about. I heard last night there are now over 200 weed stores in Portland (and it's not a big city). Anyway I think the different strains hit people differently but for me smoking strains that are heavier on the sativa end instead of indicas generally equates to giving up some of the euphoria for a slight case of anxiety. I think people buy them because they are known as the type that kind of speeds you up and indicas are known as the type that slows you down so they think it's better because it doesn't make you as tired or whatever. The whole speed up or slow down thing is really a myth that black and whites a more complex reality. <<

Simplicities are common, though for a lot of people I guess it is generally like that. I get really zany with sativa - but I only get mellow-ish with indica. Either way, I pretty quickly want to head into my room and jam some tunes, or play some killer vids (you shoulda seen my Pinball games last night, holy shit I was blown away), and in either case I get to a point where it's time to jack, and I'll end up being up all night, cos I can't let it go. I don't really get the munchies in either case, either....although the outstanding physical difference is that sativa can make me feel cold and my joints feel loose, whereas indica I feel balanced in temp and my joints feel good.

Charlotte's web...what's funny is if pure cannabinoid product was OTC, everyone would be feeling great, but not trippy. Probly save humanity.

RATMNL
Patron Saint of the Totally F*cked
Reged: 02/02/13
Loc: 026, NL
Send PM

Which pinball machine(s) did you play? (nt) new [Re: Traso]
#346243 - 10/24/15 05:07 PM

"Those voices in his head might not be real, but they have really good ideas!"

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Which pinball machine(s) did you play? (nt) new [Re: RATMNL]
#346323 - 10/27/15 07:25 AM

Well....it was (pretty old tables on) Visual Pinball on my Excalibur cabinet. I played one game each of F-14 Tomcat, Theatre of Magic, and Twilight Zone. I got replays on each one, and had amazing ball control particularly on F-14. At one point I was all, 'okay, I'm going to put the ball....up there!', to the upper flippers and then catch it, and I did it. Other things were using both flippers to grab a ball from draining and then sending it right up to the landing spot top-right, and incidentally starting multiball.

A bonus in two of the games was they matched.

Friday night I baked and played some Joust and was basically flying at whim through a lot of it. A technique of maneuverability is flipping the joystick counter to your direction to suddenly change direction, or to kind of stop in the air, and then let the baddie poke your but so he dies. Stuff like that. Got 194k, It hink my second highest score, my top being 205k.

And I spontaneously figured out how to lead the condiments around in Burger Time. Something happens to in my brain when I'm baked, especially sativa, that increases my computational capacity.

However.....by eleven I decided to jack, and I didn't stop till 0530.

RATMNL
Send PM

Re: Which pinball machine(s) did you play? (nt) new [Re: Traso]
#346336 - 10/27/15 06:24 PM

>F-14 Tomcat, Theatre of Magic, and Twilight Zone.

Aaah Twilight Zone... My eternal Nemesis. We have one at work and I have had eternal struggles with it.
Good, but incredibly complicated gameplay and a $%&#^ to take apart to clean...

I only played a (real) ToM once or twice when it was in for an overhaul, but I find it a little too simple,
good game for playing with the misses though (on the computer), pretty straightforward cab.

F-14 Tomcat is new in TPA last month, but haven't had the chance to play it yet, nor have I ever worked on one.
My Boss has little bad to say about it, so it should be good.
(he has something to bitch about on every pinball machine in existence, except for his Twilight Zone and Star Trek: Next Generation):P

"Those voices in his head might not be real, but they have really good ideas!"

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

#346392 - 10/29/15 01:10 AM

Ulhh, I hate TNG. Not a hard table, just doesn't seem to go anywhere. I think the measure of great table is how easily through natural game-play the various things, especially multiball, occur. A table that needs learning like a puzzle totaly fails.

So, real-wise:

ToM is one of my all-time faves, because of the art, the layout, the sounds. I'm not a great player, but I can get a replay or better on a decent day.

TZ I'm hot and cold about. Sometimes it's really hard, occasionally not. I did pretty good last week or so at the local pinball arcade.

If I had to pick one table over anything, I'd pick F-14. It's just too cool across the board; and it's consistently engaging.

My top ten tables are:

F-14
Cyclone
Elvira and the Party Monsters
Addams Family
Theatre of Magic
Cirqus Voltaire
Medieval Madness
Creature from the Black Lagoon
Indiana Jones - first one; more recent one is okay
ummm.....maybe Funhouse

RATMNL
Send PM

#346425 - 10/29/15 08:46 PM

Top Ten.. Damn, that's hard.

in no particular order and for various reasons:

- Whitewater
- Banzai Run
- Dr. Who (so good if you don't have the mind to do anything complicated)
- Judge Dredd
- Monte Carlo (Bally, 1973)
- Medieval Madness (Maybe just an in-awe choice, we got one in recently for cleaning up and I don't get to work on/play one of them very often,the game itself is rather repetitive)
- Silverball Mania
- Tales of the Arabian Nights
- Gorgar
- Nip-it

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

#346484 - 10/31/15 05:23 AM

Since you're in the EU, I figure you might know better than the people stateside, even if you're in NL rather than SE: Any ideas as to the best way to find pins for sale in Sweden? Fucking, the market seems locked up by companies that only rent out their catalogue of pinball games, and while they're usually in great condition, it means finding any pins for sale is a real bitch and a half. Even more so being a dumbass American like me who doesn't know the ins and outs of how such a niche hobby is handled abroad.

For what it's worth, the first company I worked for had a Theater of Magic, but the popper to eject the ball behind the magic chest was always fucked up, so you'd end up getting "Lost Ball" halfway through the game since it couldn't eject the ball back onto the playfield.

The job I had after that, they rented their machines from a local company, but it was Medieval Madness, Twilight Zone, and Attack From Mars in REALLY good condition. That was awesome.

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

Re: Which pinball machine(s) did you play? (nt) new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#346487 - 10/31/15 07:15 AM

> Since you're in the EU, I figure you might know better than the people stateside,
> even if you're in NL rather than SE: Any ideas as to the best way to find pins for
> sale in Sweden?

This is where I sold/traded my Asteroids cab before moving to Brazil. I haven't logged in for years, I don't remember whether they have a pinball section or not.

http://www.arkadtorget.se/

S

RATMNL
Send PM

Re: Which pinball machine(s) did you play? (nt) new [Re: Sune]
#346559 - 11/01/15 09:42 PM

To be quite honest, Germany might be your best shot.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

#346664 - 11/04/15 06:49 AM

Moogly's american?? Anyways, check out KLOV, Pinside, any collector forums, especially pinball-based.

back @ RATMNL: Whitewater is a strange favorite to me. It's cool and all, a great 90s table, but not quinteseential. It seems a companion to Cactus Canyon, which I think is a shade cooler.

I can't get that into anything before '85. No multiball (Cyclone excepted cos it's just fucking cool) means no bueno, and I love ramps....although by the time you get to the mid 90s, the tables get so fast and start to simplify the field to mainly ramps, and that's no good either.

Tales of the Arabian Nights I had the opportunity to play, but didn't get around to it because of other tables the place had, or someone was on it. Looked cool, though.

The recent Walking Dead (AMC show) is pretty kick ass. They got a brand new one here. They have a Doctor Who, too, but it hasn't drawn me. I've never been a Whovian, and while I liked Tom Baker, I think his talent was a little squandered on Who.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

#346667 - 11/04/15 08:06 AM

> Moogly's american?? Anyways, check out KLOV, Pinside, any collector forums,
> especially pinball-based.

But currently in Sweden. Places like KLOV aren't the most Euro-centric.

> The recent Walking Dead (AMC show) is pretty kick ass. They got a brand new one here.
> They have a Doctor Who, too, but it hasn't drawn me. I've never been a Whovian, and
> while I liked Tom Baker, I think his talent was a little squandered on Who.

um, wrong thread? off-topic.

- Stiletto

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: Which pinball machine(s) did you play? (nt) new [Re: Stiletto]
#346669 - 11/04/15 09:00 AM

> > The recent Walking Dead (AMC show) is pretty kick ass. They got a brand new one
> here.
> > They have a Doctor Who, too, but it hasn't drawn me. I've never been a Whovian, and
> > while I liked Tom Baker, I think his talent was a little squandered on Who.
>
> um, wrong thread? off-topic.
>
> - Stiletto

On-topic. He's referring to the recent licensed pins from Stern, you daft bast.

RATMNL
Send PM

#346673 - 11/04/15 11:22 AM

Cactus Canyon could have been an incredible machine, but it left factories unfinished, which shows in the blandness of the game (imho).

There has been 'multiball' since the electro-Mechanical era (Wizard, Nip-it) but I understand what you mean.

Up this week: either Riverboat Gambler or Data East Simpsons. Both got in last week, both will go for complete playfield revision, so they'll be here a while. Looking forward on 'testing' those

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: Which pinball machine(s) did you play? (nt) new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#346689 - 11/04/15 07:40 PM

> > > The recent Walking Dead (AMC show) is pretty kick ass. They got a brand new one
> > here.
> > > They have a Doctor Who, too, but it hasn't drawn me. I've never been a Whovian,
> and
> > > while I liked Tom Baker, I think his talent was a little squandered on Who.
> >
> > um, wrong thread? off-topic.
> >
> > - Stiletto
>
> On-topic. He's referring to the recent licensed pins from Stern, you daft bast.

Arrgh. *crawls into corner and hides*

- Stiletto

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Which pinball machine(s) did you play? (nt) new [Re: Stiletto]
#346737 - 11/06/15 06:43 AM

> > On-topic. He's referring to the recent licensed pins from Stern, you daft bast.

> Arrgh. *crawls into corner and hides*
>
> - Stiletto

That's funny. I didn't get what he was talking about. But it's all off topic. almost none of this is about potland.

@RATMNL: they have a Simpson's Pinball Party here. I haven't warmed to it. I should play it a little more. I don't know Riverboat Gambler.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
1 registered and 150 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2142