MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

At some point I said Windows Media Player sucks.
#345381 - 09/20/15 08:28 PM

I should have stuck with that assessment.

By default it moves album covers around, changes track titles, and moves them to other albums, sometimes by other artists.
Editing this info is an inconsistent mess. Sometimes you left click, sometimes you right click, sometimes you have to change to another view and back again to see it updated, sometimes you need to exit and restart.
Can you remove album art? No, why would you want to do that? If you update the album info, it might change the art, or it might not. If you change the art yourself, make sure you keep the image so you can change it again tomorrow.

I downloaded a free track with full data from Amazon or Google Play, not sure which. Not a great song, but that doesn't matter. Dead Air by Blondie. WMP went through the library as it does, saw it, and decided it was a song by Heatmiser.

I found my old .mp3 collection and moved that over. It decided Nirvana's With the Lights Out, a 3(+) disc set, was also several different albums with just one song, and then set about renaming the tracks it couldn't move so that they would fit better.

Jethro Tull's Thick as a Brick is, in mp3 form, over four hours long according to it. That's all it gets wrong there, and it isn't something that can be fixed from within the app.

There's a song on here from a movie. I don't have the whole soundtrack, but WMP thinks it should have cover art from Simon and Garfunkel.

I've apparently got something called Amy by Absu. Or maybe it's one of the tracks missing from a Bob Marley collection, I won't know until I listen to 670 hours of music while watching the information it presents.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

Re: At some point I said Windows Media Player sucks. new [Re: TriggerFin]
#345395 - 09/21/15 04:44 AM

> I should have stuck with that assessment.

... the question is why the hell are you using WMP to begin with.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

Re: At some point I said Windows Media Player sucks. new [Re: Foxhack]
#345400 - 09/21/15 10:09 AM

> > I should have stuck with that assessment.
>
> ... the question is why the hell are you using WMP to begin with.

It was here in my Win10 install.

lharms
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/07/06
Send PM

#345420 - 09/21/15 07:05 PM

I actually liked windows media player. Other than the fact they broke it in windows 7 and have not touched it since.

I have had happen what you are talking about. It creates extra tags when it does not know and sometimes they get stuck in there. The only way to fix it is to use something like mp3tag and blow away all the tags and retag it. Or something that can selectively blow away the special media player tags. Oh and if you have TXXX tags from musicbrainz do not let media player near it unless they are read only. It will screw them up and corrupt your mp3s.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

Re: At some point I said Windows Media Player sucks. new [Re: lharms]
#345422 - 09/21/15 07:10 PM

> I actually liked windows media player. Other than the fact they broke it in windows 7
> and have not touched it since.
>
> I have had happen what you are talking about. It creates extra tags when it does not
> know and sometimes they get stuck in there. The only way to fix it is to use
> something like mp3tag and blow away all the tags and retag it. Or something that can
> selectively blow away the special media player tags. Oh and if you have TXXX tags
> from musicbrainz do not let media player near it unless they are read only. It will
> screw them up and corrupt your mp3s.

The worst of it is that the interface can be configured in some useful ways, and some attractive ways, making it LOOK like a good app.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

#345542 - 09/25/15 04:37 AM

> The worst of it is that the interface can be configured in some useful ways, and some attractive ways, making it LOOK like a good app.

Ahn. Just don't use the library. I have since day one of getting my first computer used folders as play points.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

mike20599
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/14/08
Send PM

Media Player Classic or VideoLan VLC -NT- new [Re: TriggerFin]
#345544 - 09/25/15 05:17 AM

-NT-

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

VLC all the way. There I pick that for him. :) new [Re: mike20599]
#345545 - 09/25/15 05:51 AM

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

Well not VLC, for sure. new [Re: mike20599]
#345547 - 09/25/15 06:07 AM Attachment: vlc.png 273 KB (0 downloads)

I have it installed, and default to it for video, but not music.

I mean, besides not really being able to manage the collection with it, it hasn't even got an independent volume control. The worst of it though, it pauses on switching away, either to another app or the desktop (despite the integration with the volume OSD).

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Foxhack
Furry guy
Send PM

Re: Well not VLC, for sure. new [Re: TriggerFin]
#345560 - 09/25/15 08:00 PM

> I have it installed, and default to it for video, but not music.
>
> I mean, besides not really being able to manage the collection with it, it hasn't
> even got an independent volume control. The worst of it though, it pauses on
> switching away, either to another app or the desktop (despite the integration with
> the volume OSD).

Options - Interface - uncheck "pause playback when minimized."

VLC is the only DVD playback program that lets me skip ahead on some annoying DVDs that do not let you fast forward for some reason. And I mean the movie, not the ads. So I keep it around.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

Re: Well not VLC, for sure. new [Re: Foxhack]
#345561 - 09/25/15 08:05 PM Attachment: Untitled.png 562 KB (0 downloads)

> > I have it installed, and default to it for video, but not music.
> >
> > I mean, besides not really being able to manage the collection with it, it hasn't
> > even got an independent volume control. The worst of it though, it pauses on
> > switching away, either to another app or the desktop (despite the integration with
> > the volume OSD).
>
> Options - Interface - uncheck "pause playback when minimized."

... VLC for Win10 has no such thing.

And yet, now it's playing. I didn't change a setting, because there was no setting to change.

I still can't do anything to the files with it. I can choose by file, but that's less useful than just using file manager.

Settings > Interface:

Attachment

Edited by TriggerFin (09/25/15 08:15 PM)

Reznor007
Semi-Lurker
Loc: Norman, OK, USA
Send PM

#345565 - 09/26/15 02:09 AM

http://www.foobar2000.org/screenshots

Best music player I've ever used.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Send PM

#345566 - 09/26/15 02:28 AM

> > > I have it installed, and default to it for video, but not music.
> > >
> > > I mean, besides not really being able to manage the collection with it, it hasn't
> > > even got an independent volume control. The worst of it though, it pauses on
> > > switching away, either to another app or the desktop (despite the integration
> with
> > > the volume OSD).
> >
> > Options - Interface - uncheck "pause playback when minimized."
>
> ... VLC for Win10 has no such thing.
>
> And yet, now it's playing. I didn't change a setting, because there was no setting to
> change.
>
> I still can't do anything to the files with it. I can choose by file, but that's less
> useful than just using file manager.
>
> Settings > Interface:

... Try turning off whatever skin or interface you're using first. There should be a hell of a lot more options available.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

#345569 - 09/26/15 05:39 AM Attachment: Untitled.png 218 KB (1 downloads)

> ... Try turning off whatever skin or interface you're using first. There should be a
> hell of a lot more options available.

This is the default un-enhanced experience as brought to you by Windows 10 via the Store app. There isn't even an option for a skin.

The version on the 'net has a higher number than this, but this is the experience VideoLAN chooses to present to Windows 10 users.
It offers more power than the Win10 edition, but is still an awkward interface compared even to WMP.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

Foxhack
Furry guy
Send PM

#345570 - 09/26/15 07:35 AM

> > ... Try turning off whatever skin or interface you're using first. There should be
> a
> > hell of a lot more options available.
>
> This is the default un-enhanced experience as brought to you by Windows 10 via the
> Store app. There isn't even an option for a skin.
>
> The version on the 'net has a higher number than this, but this is the experience
> VideoLAN chooses to present to Windows 10 users.
> It offers more power than the Win10 edition, but is still an awkward interface
> compared even to WMP.

... Is there a reason why you're not running the standalone version? Just from seeing this blog post I can see the Store version is a dumbed down piece of crap.

I know you need the store version for tablets and the like. But I thought you were on a desktop.

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

#345582 - 09/26/15 04:09 PM

> > > ... Try turning off whatever skin or interface you're using first. There should
> be
> > a
> > > hell of a lot more options available.
> >
> > This is the default un-enhanced experience as brought to you by Windows 10 via the
> > Store app. There isn't even an option for a skin.
> >
> > The version on the 'net has a higher number than this, but this is the experience
> > VideoLAN chooses to present to Windows 10 users.
> > It offers more power than the Win10 edition, but is still an awkward interface
> > compared even to WMP.
>
> ... Is there a reason why you're not running the standalone version? Just from seeing
> this blog post I can see the Store version is a dumbed down piece of crap.
>
> I know you need the store version for tablets and the like. But I thought you were on
> a desktop.

Should be able to download the standalone and then install it on a Windows tablet just fine. My friend installed the Battle.net app and it works. VLC should do the same without any issue. I don't even use programs from Windows store unless it a game. I always download the programs through non apps store. Won't hurt to try.

I see your point downloading something that is a chop up version from app stores. Be like downloading MAME app without the HLSL and GLSL support.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

#345586 - 09/26/15 06:22 PM Attachment: Untitled.png 483 KB (0 downloads)

> > > ... Try turning off whatever skin or interface you're using first. There should
> be
> > a
> > > hell of a lot more options available.
> >
> > This is the default un-enhanced experience as brought to you by Windows 10 via the
> > Store app. There isn't even an option for a skin.
> >
> > The version on the 'net has a higher number than this, but this is the experience
> > VideoLAN chooses to present to Windows 10 users.
> > It offers more power than the Win10 edition, but is still an awkward interface
> > compared even to WMP.
>
> ... Is there a reason why you're not running the standalone version? Just from seeing
> this blog post I can see the Store version is a dumbed down piece of crap.

Reason: Nothing identifies it as such. Blog posts are not presented in the store page for the app.

And other than screwing up the files, the right side of this picture looks a hell of a lot better than the left, and is easier to work with:

Attachment

Foxhack
Furry guy
Send PM

#345604 - 09/27/15 07:30 PM

> > > > ... Try turning off whatever skin or interface you're using first. There should
> > be
> > > a
> > > > hell of a lot more options available.
> > >
> > > This is the default un-enhanced experience as brought to you by Windows 10 via
> the
> > > Store app. There isn't even an option for a skin.
> > >
> > > The version on the 'net has a higher number than this, but this is the experience
> > > VideoLAN chooses to present to Windows 10 users.
> > > It offers more power than the Win10 edition, but is still an awkward interface
> > > compared even to WMP.
> >
> > ... Is there a reason why you're not running the standalone version? Just from
> seeing
> > this blog post I can see the Store version is a dumbed down piece of crap.
>
> Reason: Nothing identifies it as such. Blog posts are not presented in the store page
> for the app.
>
> And other than screwing up the files, the right side of this picture looks a hell of
> a lot better than the left, and is easier to work with:

The interface is mostly customizable. I'd suggest looking into that, or maybe trying to find a skin that looks like the Win 10 app but without the dumbing down.

https://www.videolan.org/vlc/skins.php?sort=downloads

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

#345608 - 09/27/15 11:45 PM

> The interface is mostly customizable. I'd suggest looking into that, or maybe trying
> to find a skin that looks like the Win 10 app but without the dumbing down.
>
> https://www.videolan.org/vlc/skins.php?sort=downloads

Is it?

The Win10 edition is the same as the other, but with all the menus and options removed. It was never something I found useful or attractive. The only thing added is a visualization that shows images ind titles, and that's useless if I'm not looking at it.
So I looked at the skins on that page. There are fewer than 150 of them, and most of them change colors and buttons and/or remove functions. Most are only interested in playing video (and I want the interface gone while that happens) or adding gimmicky art to the interface. Circles and blobs are not efficient use of space.

I see nothing that will present the Music folder in a clean yet useful manner. Artist> Albums with art and info> tracks with info. Heck, iTunes did a better job of it last time I saw that, years ago. The few I tried hid access entirely unless I wanted to load individual files and not see them, or play everything in a folder and still not see the files.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Send PM

#345609 - 09/28/15 05:30 AM

> Is it?
>
> The Win10 edition is the same as the other, but with all the menus and options
> removed. It was never something I found useful or attractive. The only thing added is
> a visualization that shows images ind titles, and that's useless if I'm not looking
> at it.
> So I looked at the skins on that page. There are fewer than 150 of them, and most of
> them change colors and buttons and/or remove functions. Most are only interested in
> playing video (and I want the interface gone while that happens) or adding gimmicky
> art to the interface. Circles and blobs are not efficient use of space.
>
> I see nothing that will present the Music folder in a clean yet useful manner.
> Artist> Albums with art and info> tracks with info. Heck, iTunes did a better job of
> it last time I saw that, years ago. The few I tried hid access entirely unless I
> wanted to load individual files and not see them, or play everything in a folder and
> still not see the files.

(Source)

Well, it is. It's not easy, but it's possible. But I'm not sure what you want so I'm just going to leave it at that and accept defeat.

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

Seriously? new [Re: Foxhack]
#345612 - 09/28/15 06:32 AM

> (Source)
>
> Well, it is. It's not easy, but it's possible. But I'm not sure what you want so I'm
> just going to leave it at that and accept defeat.

No, really?

You say VLC can do it, and show me a picture... of Foobar?

Foxhack
Furry guy
Send PM

Re: Seriously? new [Re: TriggerFin]
#345616 - 09/28/15 09:25 PM

> > (Source)
> >
> > Well, it is. It's not easy, but it's possible. But I'm not sure what you want so
> I'm
> > just going to leave it at that and accept defeat.
>
> No, really?
>
> You say VLC can do it, and show me a picture... of Foobar?

Sonofabitch. Google images lied to me!

Look, just let me die in peace, okay?

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

LOL, OK. new [Re: Foxhack]
#345620 - 09/29/15 02:13 AM

> Sonofabitch. Google images lied to me!

I thought it might have been intentional.

URherenow
Loc: Japan
Send PM

What was fubar? new [Re: TriggerFin]
#345636 - 09/29/15 12:44 PM

The Von guy? He's a conductor, so what if he sold an album of his orchestra playing the Planets? Holst is credited in the title...

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Send PM

On the off chance that wasn't a joke... new [Re: URherenow]
#345641 - 09/29/15 04:13 PM

> The Von guy? He's a conductor, so what if he sold an album of his orchestra playing
> the Planets? Holst is credited in the title...

Foobar2000, media player. The link accompanying the image, and the image itself, are a Foobar2000 skin.

While skinning might lead VLC to look like that, none of the existing skins manage it, and the two can't share skins. Using the skin, I haven't quite gotten Foobar to look like the image, though I've come close.

URherenow
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Re: On the off chance that wasn't a joke... new [Re: TriggerFin]
#345664 - 09/30/15 04:52 AM

It wasn't a joke. I was tired and I never used the foobar player. I swear, I thought you said the pic was FUBAR... so I tried to see exactly what was wrong with it

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 345 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2353