MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

URherenow
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Japan
Send PM

Stupid newb question time
#345294 - 09/19/15 02:30 AM

I never really played with MESS or software lists in general. Do the software list roms go in the same place as the rest, with the games in folders (eg. roms\a2600\8in1.zip)?

If so, what about the laser disc stuff? Should there be a laser or laserdisc folder with all of the .chd files or a separate folder under roms\ for each laser disc game, just like any regular rom with a .chd? The FAQ on the release page doesn't seem to have been updated with any new info since the merge.

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

Envisaged0ne
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/06
Send PM

Re: Stupid newb question time new [Re: URherenow]
#345295 - 09/19/15 03:48 AM

Sorry, I just kinda gotta laugh. You've been around since 2003, with over 3,000 posts and you're asking a "newb" question

Edited by Envisaged0ne (09/19/15 03:49 AM)

Windows 11 64 bit OS
Intel Core i7-10700
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
32GB DDR4 RAM

abelenki
Super Drunk
Reged: 10/20/03
Loc: Perm, Russia
Send PM

#345296 - 09/19/15 03:50 AM

> If so, what about the laser disc stuff? Should there be a laser or laserdisc folder
> with all of the .chd files or a separate folder under roms\ for each laser disc game,
> just like any regular rom with a .chd? The FAQ on the release page doesn't seem to
> have been updated with any new info since the merge.

laser discs should be treated as standard CHDs. so they go in their own folders inside ROMs path:

cliffhgr\cliffhgr.chd
cobra\cobra.chd
cubeqst\cubeqst.chd
firefox\firefox.chd
mach3\mach3.chd
usvsthem\usvsthem.chd

MAME Stuff | MAME favorites | Bubble Bobble Series chart / wiki | PC configuration

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

#345297 - 09/19/15 04:45 AM

> I never really played with MESS or software lists in general. Do the software list
> roms go in the same place as the rest, with the games in folders (eg.
> roms\a2600\8in1.zip)?
>
> If so, what about the laser disc stuff? Should there be a laser or laserdisc folder
> with all of the .chd files or a separate folder under roms\ for each laser disc game,
> just like any regular rom with a .chd? The FAQ on the release page doesn't seem to
> have been updated with any new info since the merge.

If you are using a default ROMS folder - that looks valid. If you have to make an additional path (to software or chds simply add another entry to "rompath" in your mame.ini separated by a semi-colon (;). Laserdiscs are treated the same way as normal games using CHD as detailed in another post.

Just remember, a folder and a compressed file is the same thing to MAME.

URherenow
Send PM

Re: Stupid newb question time new [Re: Envisaged0ne]
#345299 - 09/19/15 05:08 AM

> Sorry, I just kinda gotta laugh. You've been around since 2003, with over 3,000 posts
> and you're asking a "newb" question

Been around longer than that. That's just how long it's been since these forums were rebuilt from scratch. MESS merging with MAME is NEW, and I never played much with MESS. Wondering about the roms/chd layout is natural to me since, for instance, more than one system has Dragons Lair...

Anyway, I'll just keep my MAME folders the way they are, and make another rom path for the software lists and add it to the .ini. Thanks for the reminder @Tafoid

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Re: Stupid newb question time new [Re: abelenki]
#345309 - 09/19/15 12:14 PM

> > If so, what about the laser disc stuff? Should there be a laser or laserdisc folder
> > with all of the .chd files or a separate folder under roms\ for each laser disc
> game,
> > just like any regular rom with a .chd? The FAQ on the release page doesn't seem to
> > have been updated with any new info since the merge.
>
> laser discs should be treated as standard CHDs. so they go in their own folders
> inside ROMs path:
>
> cliffhgr\cliffhgr.chd
> cobra\cobra.chd
> cubeqst\cubeqst.chd
> firefox\firefox.chd
> mach3\mach3.chd
> usvsthem\usvsthem.chd

I wish they stop using folders on the CHDs. Really is silly. Folders aren't zips.

I still have those. lol

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

URherenow
Send PM

Re: Stupid newb question time new [Re: Dullaron]
#345310 - 09/19/15 02:16 PM

>
> I wish they stop using folders on the CHDs. Really is silly. Folders aren't zips.
>
> I still have those. lol

What? That part actually is explained in the FAQ. A CHD is already compressed. To zip a CHD is silly. You'd be extracting the entire CHD to memory, then extracting the part of the CHD that needed to be read. The folder is there so you don't have random chd files scattered around the roms folder, having to jump through hoops to figure out which chd went to which game (or if not, it's a happy side effect).

remax
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/12
Send PM

#345522 - 09/24/15 07:32 PM

> Anyway, I'll just keep my MAME folders the way they are, and make another rom path
> for the software lists and add it to the .ini. Thanks for the reminder @Tafoid

That's the cleanest thing to do.

Make a folder named "software" and add it to your ini,
then make a folder in it with exactly the same name of the software list and put there your system specific software list roms/CHDs, like you would do in a standard rom folder (roms compressed, chd uncompressed in a folder).

Edited by remax (09/24/15 07:33 PM)

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

#345525 - 09/24/15 09:02 PM

> >
> > I wish they stop using folders on the CHDs. Really is silly. Folders aren't zips.
> >
> > I still have those. lol
>
> What? That part actually is explained in the FAQ. A CHD is already compressed. To zip
> a CHD is silly. You'd be extracting the entire CHD to memory, then extracting the
> part of the CHD that needed to be read. The folder is there so you don't have random
> chd files scattered around the roms folder, having to jump through hoops to figure
> out which chd went to which game (or if not, it's a happy side effect).

Just saying sometimes the cmpro make copies of the CHDs and can't moved them into correct folders. cmpro sure can remove the bad ones without a problem. I had to move all out of those folders into ROM's folder and then run the cmpro again so it can move those into the correct place. Now you see my point. It happen every once a while.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

Re: Stupid newb question time new [Re: Dullaron]
#345535 - 09/25/15 01:55 AM

> I wish they stop using folders on the CHDs. Really is silly. Folders aren't zips.

I believe the reason that CHDs are in folders is because it mirrors the way you can run un-zipped ROMs. For example, you can have:

C:\mame\roms\pacman.zip

OR

C:\mame\roms\pacman\... (loose ROM files)

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 590 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2199