MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Roman
Regular
Reged: 09/21/03
Send PM

since MAMETesters simply close issues which appear in current git builds....
#345129 - 09/15/15 08:44 AM

Current git compiles (2015-09-14, 166 development) will show memory leak warnings when running a -listxml output..

--- memory leak warning ---
#035980, nofree 29 bytes (../../../../../src/lib/netlist/plib/pstring.c:381)
#039035, nofree 29 bytes (../../../../../src/lib/netlist/plib/pstring.c:381)
#9674503, nofree 29 bytes (../../../../../src/lib/netlist/plib/pstring.c:381)
[...]

maybe they should accept reports under a new (dev) version element in their choosers....instead of simply killing them as "invalid report"

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: since MAMETesters simply close issues which appear in current git builds.... new [Re: Roman]
#345131 - 09/15/15 09:50 AM

Or maybe the issue is already known by the developers and it's not considered a priority to fix since development builds are given on a purely as-is basis, and the next release is still over two weeks away.

Roman
Regular
Send PM

Re: since MAMETesters simply close issues which appear in current git builds.... new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#345132 - 09/15/15 10:05 AM

maybe, maybe not... listxml is not commonly run when you work on a driver....All I say is that it shouldn't been dropped directly as "illegal report" without caring...

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Re: since MAMETesters simply close issues which appear in current git builds.... new [Re: Roman]
#345133 - 09/15/15 10:55 AM

> Current git compiles (2015-09-14, 166 development) will show memory leak warnings
> when running a -listxml output..
>
> --- memory leak warning ---
> #035980, nofree 29 bytes (../../../../../src/lib/netlist/plib/pstring.c:381)
> #039035, nofree 29 bytes (../../../../../src/lib/netlist/plib/pstring.c:381)
> #9674503, nofree 29 bytes (../../../../../src/lib/netlist/plib/pstring.c:381)
> [...]
>
>
> maybe they should accept reports under a new (dev) version element in their
> choosers....instead of simply killing them as "invalid report"

That was doing that while back when I was loading up a game. It probably fix on the game loading part. If not then I wouldn't worry about those issues anyway as long the command line isn't broken. Just don't worry about it.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

#345137 - 09/15/15 12:56 PM

> All I say is that it shouldn't been dropped directly as
> "illegal report" without caring...

If I decided at work to pull the current source code from the repository containing the core engine that we use, as opposed to going with an officially released version, then tried to report issues that this unsupported, between-releases version caused with my team's game, I would be laughed right out of the core team's chat channel. You hit the nail on the head, nobody cares. It's not an officially released version, it hasn't gone through any manner of testing for an official release. If you want to be helpful, then get in there and actually fix the issue. But if you want to just file a bug on some random Git revision midway between releases, in a misguided attempt to be helpful, you will indeed find that we don't care.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#345138 - 09/15/15 02:17 PM

> maybe, maybe not... listxml is not commonly run when you work on a driver

Ahh, yes, the ever-popular "MAMEdev are a bunch of drooling 2-digit-IQ imbeciles who accidentally emulated 5,000 games" theory.

Since Ryan didn't make it clear: that bug is known about. It was a hot topic on the list yesterday, in fact. I do like the irony of a developer who is ashamed of their own source code trying to order us around about the temporary state of our public git repo though.

Roman
Regular
Send PM

Re: since MAMETesters simply close issues which appear in current git builds.... new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#345140 - 09/15/15 02:23 PM

well, while fixing the memleakage is pretty straight forward (when I find a little time and got my own pc under my fingers...) where should I post reports to when I find something I myself cannot fix (while the original developer might fix it within seconds when informed...)
If I post it here, people moan...if I post it at mametesters it gets deleted...I have to wait a month to be able to post it there...so yes, MAME's way of development ain't agile...fine...got that....

Roman
Regular
Send PM

Re: since MAMETesters simply close issues which appear in current git builds.... new [Re: R. Belmont]
#345141 - 09/15/15 02:26 PM

finally someone says it's known...would've been so damn easy to say that directly or as comment when dropping the reported issue....

TafoidAdministrator
I keep on testing.. testing.. testing... into the future!
Reged: 04/19/06
Loc: USA
Send PM

#345145 - 09/15/15 03:27 PM

> well, while fixing the memleakage is pretty straight forward (when I find a little
> time and got my own pc under my fingers...) where should I post reports to when I
> find something I myself cannot fix (while the original developer might fix it within
> seconds when informed...)
> If I post it here, people moan...if I post it at mametesters it gets deleted...I have
> to wait a month to be able to post it there...so yes, MAME's way of development ain't
> agile...fine...got that....

MAMETesters is about logging known issues and historically, because of its source availability, this has always covered release version only duplicated only using the MAMEDEV produced binaries. Personally, I wouldn't have closed your bug, but suspended it until such time a release came out and then checked to see if it was still valid if confirmed. Right now, there isn't an official place to discuss current GIT development bugs. Since I and other Devs frequent a number of public forums, any of those places (including here) would be a valid place to bring such errors to light, even if MT don't accept them as bugs immediately. That said, that particular bug has not been addressed yes and has been present for nearly 3 weeks now.

If you would like to contribute the codefix, you can send out a DIFF or send a GIT Pull Request with the fix in question. Information is available Here.

MAMEDEV is working on a forum which should become public hopefully in the near future. Along with discussion, we'll have an official place to post/update/monitor current GIT bugs.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

#345146 - 09/15/15 03:35 PM

> finally someone says it's known...would've been so damn easy to say that directly or
> as comment when dropping the reported issue....

Yeah, I made it real unclear with the "Maybe the developers already know about the issue" statement. There was no "maybe" about it. I was mocking your use of the word "maybe".

Roman
Regular
Send PM

#345147 - 09/15/15 04:18 PM

I wasn't talking about your response but the mametesters silent closing one.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

Re: since MAMETesters simply close issues which appear in current git builds.... new [Re: Tafoid]
#345150 - 09/15/15 04:50 PM

> MAMEDEV is working on a forum which should become public hopefully in the near
> future. Along with discussion, we'll have an official place to post/update/monitor
> current GIT bugs.

And... prepare for the remaining active devs to quit.

Seriously though, we have that forum for it and people only log in en masse when Andreas posts something.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: since MAMETesters simply close issues which appear in current git builds.... new [Re: R. Belmont]
#345151 - 09/15/15 05:21 PM

> > MAMEDEV is working on a forum which should become public hopefully in the near
> > future. Along with discussion, we'll have an official place to post/update/monitor
> > current GIT bugs.
>
> And... prepare for the remaining active devs to quit.
>
> Seriously though, we have that forum for it and people only log in en masse when
> Andreas posts something.

Also, like the rest of mamedev.org it responds to requests from Chinese IP addresses with 403 Forbidden, so fuck that forum.

TafoidAdministrator
Send PM

#345152 - 09/15/15 05:26 PM

> > MAMEDEV is working on a forum which should become public hopefully in the near
> > future. Along with discussion, we'll have an official place to post/update/monitor
> > current GIT bugs.
>
> And... prepare for the remaining active devs to quit.
>
> Seriously though, we have that forum for it and people only log in en masse when
> Andreas posts something.

The forum isn't open to public viewing except for two areas which have little content to read at the moment and no ability for new users to signup or post to it. This will change. IF you don't want to be part of it, that is your choice.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

Re: since MAMETesters simply close issues which appear in current git builds.... new [Re: Tafoid]
#345160 - 09/15/15 09:48 PM

> > > MAMEDEV is working on a forum which should become public hopefully in the near
> > > future. Along with discussion, we'll have an official place to
> post/update/monitor
> > > current GIT bugs.
> >
> > And... prepare for the remaining active devs to quit.
> >
> > Seriously though, we have that forum for it and people only log in en masse when
> > Andreas posts something.
>
> The forum isn't open to public viewing except for two areas which have little content
> to read at the moment and no ability for new users to signup or post to it. This will
> change. IF you don't want to be part of it, that is your choice.

So basically you people who claim to want to help MAME, while doing everything in your power to go against the wishes of the devs that have made MAME what it is, intend to make the project a public one, where we have to answer to each and every jackass that comes along. Never mind the decades-long history that would indicate that the average user doesn't know a fucking thing, let's all "open" the project to people who wouldn't know the first thing about accuracy, and who care more about playing their own l33t fr33 g4m3z than actual historical preservation. Aces. Great. I'm glad to at least know the direction to the project is headed. God damn, you people are making it more abundant day by day that I would be better off hanging myself in my fucking stairwell than bothering to deal with the infinite number of idiots in this community.

TafoidAdministrator
Send PM

#345163 - 09/16/15 12:31 AM

> > > > MAMEDEV is working on a forum which should become public hopefully in the near
> > > > future. Along with discussion, we'll have an official place to
> > post/update/monitor
> > > > current GIT bugs.
> > >
> > > And... prepare for the remaining active devs to quit.
> > >
> > > Seriously though, we have that forum for it and people only log in en masse when
> > > Andreas posts something.
> >
> > The forum isn't open to public viewing except for two areas which have little
> content
> > to read at the moment and no ability for new users to signup or post to it. This
> will
> > change. IF you don't want to be part of it, that is your choice.
>
> So basically you people who claim to want to help MAME, while doing everything in
> your power to go against the wishes of the devs that have made MAME what it is,
> intend to make the project a public one, where we have to answer to each and every
> jackass that comes along. Never mind the decades-long history that would indicate
> that the average user doesn't know a fucking thing, let's all "open" the project to
> people who wouldn't know the first thing about accuracy, and who care more about
> playing their own l33t fr33 g4m3z than actual historical preservation. Aces. Great.
> I'm glad to at least know the direction to the project is headed. God damn, you
> people are making it more abundant day by day that I would be better off hanging
> myself in my fucking stairwell than bothering to deal with the infinite number of
> idiots in this community.

I'll make no excuses for supporting what I perceive could be a beneficial and valuable method of communication with this project's Developers and the userbase. All end users, developers and contributors should at least attempt to work together for the betterment of this massive project. In fact, I've started up the GIT Issue Tracker today to see how that functions to allow active users to report confirmed pre-release regressions. So far, so good.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

#345170 - 09/16/15 03:50 AM

> IF you don't want to be part of it, that is your choice.

No it isn't - you're actively geoblocking me (along with about 1/6th of the world's population) by IP address range.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

#345171 - 09/16/15 03:59 AM

> I'll make no excuses for supporting what I perceive could be a beneficial and
> valuable method of communication with this project's Developers and the userbase. All
> end users, developers and contributors should at least attempt to work together for
> the betterment of this massive project. In fact, I've started up the GIT Issue
> Tracker today to see how that functions to allow active users to report confirmed
> pre-release regressions. So far, so good.

No it isn't good so far. It's a whole lot more e-mail noise for nothing. MAME is not a day job: we are not paid, we are not on call, we have other responsibilities. We don't have to answer to users in this way. Even if these were paying customers, accepting bug reports that are not from a baseline release would be stupid, as it just generates far too much noise.

I can see a few outcomes to this, and none of them are positive: the majority of these reports are ignored as they're known or expected issues and MAMEdevs don't have time or inclination to respond, so users decide MAMEdev is unresponsive and reputation is harmed; some MAMEdevs try to respond to all reports, get burned out, and leave the project; MAMEdevs steer well clear and it becomes an echo chamber of people with no clue talking crap, but it still appears to be officially endorsed and thereby harms MAMEdev's reputation.

This is seriously misguided, and I'm not the only MAMEdev expressing displeasure about it. You really need to consider what the people who actually do the tough development think before pushing forward with these things.

Mamesick
Troll Lamer
Loc: Italy
Send PM

#345187 - 09/16/15 06:16 AM

> So basically you people who claim to want to help MAME, while doing everything in
> your power to go against the wishes of the devs that have made MAME what it is,
> intend to make the project a public one, where we have to answer to each and every
> jackass that comes along. Never mind the decades-long history that would indicate
> that the average user doesn't know a fucking thing, let's all "open" the project to
> people who wouldn't know the first thing about accuracy, and who care more about
> playing their own l33t fr33 g4m3z than actual historical preservation. Aces. Great.
> I'm glad to at least know the direction to the project is headed. God damn, you
> people are making it more abundant day by day that I would be better off hanging
> myself in my fucking stairwell than bothering to deal with the infinite number of
> idiots in this community.

How pathetic is still read this kind of answers and find this kind of attitude in a MAME Developer after 15 years and more. This reminds me the good old days of MAME.NET and Gridlee, Dexter and so on. Things are changed, now the userbase is grown up and follow the project a different way. If you don't understand that Tafoid way could be a good one if correctly handled, so yes you're the first very idiot in this community.

Edited by Mamesick (09/16/15 06:17 AM)

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

#345208 - 09/16/15 03:58 PM

> well, while fixing the memleakage is pretty straight forward (when I find a little
> time and got my own pc under my fingers...) where should I post reports to when I
> find something I myself cannot fix (while the original developer might fix it within
> seconds when informed...)
> If I post it here, people moan...if I post it at mametesters it gets deleted...I have
> to wait a month to be able to post it there...so yes, MAME's way of development ain't
> agile...fine...got that....

There's a shoutbox at Bannister or #messdev on IRC where you can speak with some of the Devs in real-time.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
1 registered and 120 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2022