RECLAIMING MY TIME, MOTHERFUCKER

The only golf Trump gets in prison is a black 1-wood >> Welcome to the War Room
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

AWJ
Reged: 03/08/05
Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
Send PM

Identity-stealing sockpuppet troll finally crosses line, gets just desserts
#345037 - 09/12/15 11:23 PM

Not sure if this is Bin material or War Room material...

"Australi Witness" (the Australian ISIS supporter who inspired the shootings in Garland, Texas in May), "Tanya Cohen" (the Australian human rights activist who caused a stir on various social media with a series of increasingly shrill articles on Thought Catalog demanding that the United States adopt draconian anti-hate-speech laws), another Thought Catalog writer who wrote equally shrill rebuttals to Tanya Cohen, white supremacist "Michael Slay", and the anonymous person who stole Australian lawyer Josh Bornstein's identity to write a genocidal screed on the Times of Israel's blog, were all evidently the same person: a 20-year-old Florida shut-in named Joshua Goldberg.

Who has just been arrested for giving bomb-making recipes to an FBI stool pigeon, in his "Australi Witness" persona.

Some people have far too much spare time, and no better idea what to do with it than to spread discord on the Internet. And, apparently, not enough sense to realize that "I was just trolling, lol" won't fly as an excuse when the FBI comes knocking at their door.

Personally, I just wonder what the dude had against Australia? Both his jihadist and his strawman-SJW personae were Australian, as was the real person whose identity he chose to steal to punk the Times of Israel.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Identity-stealing sockpuppet troll finally crosses line, gets just desserts new [Re: AWJ]
#345042 - 09/13/15 02:21 AM

> Personally, I just wonder what the dude had against Australia? Both his jihadist and
> his strawman-SJW personae were Australian, as was the real person whose identity he
> chose to steal to punk the Times of Israel.

First I've heard of these people, but good to know it's not a real Australian. This person didn't seem to have made headlines in Australia, so their jihad on Australia wasn't really working anyway.

edit: Maybe the Australian personae were supposed to be a diversion to make law enforcement search for him in the wrong place. No-one would suspect a Floridian with a Jewish surname of having an Australian terrorist persona, would they?

mike20599
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/14/08
Send PM

Re: Identity-stealing sockpuppet troll finally crosses line, gets just desserts new [Re: AWJ]
#345044 - 09/13/15 03:01 AM

The truth that he played all sides isn't stopping the SJWs from claiming he is a conservative. In this hilarious tweet by Daily Kos founder Markos Moulitsas, he says he doesn't have to worry about Daily Kos writers getting arrested for trying to incite terrorism because that's a conservative thing. But in the article he links, it says right there that he wrote articles for The Daily Kos under the name Tanya Cohen.

https://archive.is/10nEm

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

Re: Identity-stealing sockpuppet troll finally crosses line, gets just desserts new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#345045 - 09/13/15 03:07 AM

> > Personally, I just wonder what the dude had against Australia? Both his jihadist
> and
> > his strawman-SJW personae were Australian, as was the real person whose identity he
> > chose to steal to punk the Times of Israel.
>
> First I've heard of these people, but good to know it's not a real Australian. This
> person didn't seem to have made headlines in Australia, so their jihad on Australia
> wasn't really working anyway.
>
> edit: Maybe the Australian personae were supposed to be a diversion to make law
> enforcement search for him in the wrong place. No-one would suspect a Floridian with
> a Jewish surname of having an Australian terrorist persona, would they?

Maybe he thought nobody would look for him in Australia because of the dropbears.

Seriously though. Most of these trolls do the shit they do because they know nothing will happen to them if they get caught. There's no laws that say the usual type of trolling they do are illegal. However, this guy crossed one hell of a line by (allegedly) directly inciting to terrorism according to that justpaste.it link quoted in that article. He definitely attracted the attention of the FBI and if all the terrorism-related shit he's being accused of doing is true, then I hope he rots in jail.

AWJ
Reged: 03/08/05
Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
Send PM

Re: Identity-stealing sockpuppet troll finally crosses line, gets just desserts new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#345048 - 09/13/15 03:22 AM

> edit: Maybe the Australian personae were supposed to be a diversion to make law
> enforcement search for him in the wrong place.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking as well.

I found a couple of articles on his arrest in the Australian press:

http://www.smh.com.au/national/unmasking...20150909-gjil47

http://www.smh.com.au/national/australia...20150911-gjk852

Found both of them via Reddit, which is in absolute chaos right now over Goldberg's arrest and exposure as high king of the sockpuppeteers. Not surprisingly, he apparently had a whole bunch of Reddit accounts, including some of the site's most infamous right-wing and left-wing trolls.

ETA: The first of the two SMH articles I linked explains why Australia, in the perp's own words:

Quote:

To Potaka and McMahon, before his arrest, Goldberg explained why he had such an obsession with Australia. It was, he said, the most "anti-freedom of speech country in the English speaking world". Australia's left was "unspeakably stupid".

He pointed to the controversy over the Abbott government's failed attempts to amend Section 18C of the Racial Discrimination Act, and the "massive outrage" that occurred when Attorney-General George Brandis said, "People do have a right to be bigots, you know". In the US, where freedom of speech is sacrosanct, nobody would have been as outraged, he said.

Edited by AWJ (09/13/15 03:51 AM)

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

Re: Identity-stealing sockpuppet troll finally crosses line, gets just desserts new [Re: Foxhack]
#345052 - 09/13/15 07:51 AM

> He definitely attracted the attention of the FBI and if all the
> terrorism-related shit he's being accused of doing is true, then I hope he rots in
> jail.

This is probably factually incorrect as a joke, but I await his lonely-hearts advertisement in the back of 2600 magazine.

- Stiletto

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Reged: 09/01/05
Send PM

Re: Identity-stealing sockpuppet troll finally crosses line, gets just desserts new [Re: mike20599]
#345053 - 09/13/15 09:51 AM

> The truth that he played all sides isn't stopping the SJWs from claiming he is a
> conservative. In this hilarious tweet by Daily Kos founder Markos Moulitsas, he says
> he doesn't have to worry about Daily Kos writers getting arrested for trying to
> incite terrorism because that's a conservative thing. But in the article he links, it
> says right there that he wrote articles for The Daily Kos under the name Tanya Cohen.
>
> https://archive.is/10nEm

URherenow
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Japan
Send PM

#345055 - 09/13/15 10:24 AM

> draconian anti-hate-speech
> laws

Dunno what laws they have, but I've been thinking about this very thing for a long time. I think there absolutely SHOULD be limitations put on freedom of speech. Fucking Muslim extremists chanting on street corners of Miami about how they are going to kill all Americans and Christians? They should be allowed to do that? I say no. I say that should be a 1 way ticket to deportation and if they have a bank account that our government can access, then they will pay for their own damn ticket home, whether they want to or not.

Burning the flag is another thing that chaps my ass. Seriously, if you are against America, get the fuck out. I can't believe that there were laws and penalties put in place long ago for that crap, yet they are unenforceable since some bullshit judge decided it was a protected "freedom of speech" thing.

Just broke my personal record for number of consecutive days without dying!

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

Re: Identity-stealing sockpuppet troll finally crosses line, gets just desserts new [Re: URherenow]
#345056 - 09/13/15 12:06 PM

> I think there absolutely SHOULD be limitations put on freedom of speech.

Well thank fuck there aren't any jackbooted thugs like you in power in the USA yet, at least not yet, you fascist piece of shit. Nobody needs freedom of speech to protect speech we like, the whole point of it is to protect speech that we may find vile, crude, or utterly morally reprehensible. The solution to speech is more speech condemning those that state views we find reprehensible, not stifling it and pretending that it doesn't exist. I might disagree with the fact that you're nothing more than a stereotypical conservative mouthpiece who hates brown people, but I wouldn't in a million years suggest that there should be legislation preventing you from espousing your racist, neanderthal-class views.

Better yet, if you want to ban speech that you don't like, why don't you move to Saudia Arabia? I'm sure you'd fit right in there. You're a hell of a lot closer in ideology to the Muslims you whine about than any Christian out there. Fat lot of "loving thy neighbor" you're doing.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

Re: Identity-stealing sockpuppet troll finally crosses line, gets just desserts new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#345058 - 09/13/15 12:25 PM

> > I think there absolutely SHOULD be limitations put on freedom of speech.
>
> Well thank fuck there aren't any jackbooted thugs like you in power in the USA yet,
> at least not yet, you fascist piece of shit. Nobody needs freedom of speech to
> protect speech we like, the whole point of it is to protect speech that we may find
> vile, crude, or utterly morally reprehensible. The solution to speech is more speech
> condemning those that state views we find reprehensible, not stifling it and
> pretending that it doesn't exist. I might disagree with the fact that you're nothing
> more than a stereotypical conservative mouthpiece who hates brown people, but I
> wouldn't in a million years suggest that there should be legislation preventing you
> from espousing your racist, neanderthal-class views.
>
> Better yet, if you want to ban speech that you don't like, why don't you move to
> Saudia Arabia? I'm sure you'd fit right in there. You're a hell of a lot closer in
> ideology to the Muslims you whine about than any Christian out there. Fat lot of
> "loving thy neighbor" you're doing.

This. The logical conclusion of banning anti-Americanism (or anti-Australianism or whatever) is DPKR: enforced patriotism/personality cult where you get persecuted for saying anything negative about the state or its leaders. That's what the West was supposed to be keeping us free from. But the West seems to have lost its way.

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Reged: 03/14/15
Loc: UK
Send PM

#345059 - 09/13/15 12:57 PM

*sigh*

Of course there should be laws curtailing freedom of speech. it's not the speech itself, but what it might incite. So you can go to a street corner and say you hate all white people and they should be killed without worrying, but if you then use that speech to recruit others into actually doing the act, then you've crossed the line.

Same as shouting FIRE! in the middle of a grocery store. Not protected. Not because you shouted fire, but because it incited others into action which could endanger them.

This is such a simple concept, I don't understand why people get confused about it. There are rules that limit what you can, and cannot post on Facebook, Amazon, any number of web sites. There are rules about you can and cannot write on this very forum. But there's no need to get all up in arms about freedom of speech.

Would I ban holocaust deniers? No. Expose them. Would I ban someone standing on the corner of a street handing out leaflets detailing how to build bombs and pointing out good locations to place them? Yes, I would.

If common sense was common, we'd not need the distinctions. Alas it isn't so. Not all speech is acceptable, though we should be careful what is deemed unacceptable. We've lived with it as is for decades.

The post that starts "Well thank fuck there aren't any jackbooted thugs like you in power gin the USA" is a perfect example of just why we must stay vigilant. It's over the top, vile, and an overly extreme reaction. How strange and ironic it's used by someone claiming freedom of speech as being all important. Such vitriol does nothing but suppress freedom of speech by shouting the opponent down. Clearly you're all for freedom of speech, as long as people agree with you, otherwise you'll explode in anger and turn everything up to 11. Shame on you.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

Re: Identity-stealing sockpuppet troll finally crosses line, gets just desserts new [Re: Vaughan]
#345061 - 09/13/15 02:48 PM

> *sigh*
>
> Of course there should be laws curtailing freedom of speech.

[citation needed]

> it's not the speech
> itself, but what it might incite.

Good thing, then, that there are already restrictions on speech that directly cause an imminent threat of violence. We don't need further laws.

> So you can go to a street corner and say you hate
> all white people and they should be killed without worrying, but if you then use that
> speech to recruit others into actually doing the act, then you've crossed the line.

Legally, actually, you really haven't.

> Same as shouting FIRE! in the middle of a grocery store. Not protected. Not because
> you shouted fire, but because it incited others into action which could endanger
> them.

See above. It incites an immediate lawless reaction.

> This is such a simple concept, I don't understand why people get confused about it.

Confused people like you, you mean?

> There are rules that limit what you can, and cannot post on Facebook, Amazon, any
> number of web sites. There are rules about you can and cannot write on this very
> forum.

As a matter of fact, there are, and also as a matter of fact, Facebook, Amazon, any number of websites, and MAMEWorld are private entities and thoroughly within their rights to limit speech. The federal government most assuredly is not. This is one of the basic freedoms conferred to us by the Bill of Rights.

> But there's no need to get all up in arms about freedom of speech.

There are plenty of reasons to get up in arms about freedom of speech. Thugs who wish to suppress others' freedom of speech under the auspices of law being a very big one of them.

> Would I ban holocaust deniers? No. Expose them.

I completely agree.

> Would I ban someone standing on the
> corner of a street handing out leaflets detailing how to build bombs and pointing out
> good locations to place them? Yes, I would.

That's unfortunate, because that act in and of itself is constitutionally-protected speech. You can find countless forms of speech on the Internet that you might find personally distasteful, even dangerous, but they remain specifically because there are some web providers that realize that if some people had their way, the only speech in which we could engage is happy, positive thoughts.

> If common sense was common, we'd not need the distinctions.

If common sense was common, you'd have it.

> Alas it isn't so. Not all
> speech is acceptable, though we should be careful what is deemed unacceptable.

Indeed, quite a lot of speech is deemed socially unacceptable. Ranting venomously about Muslims, for example. The fact that it is considered socially unacceptable has no bearing on the fact that you are well within your right to say it. Freedom of expression doesn't mean freedom from criticism. Quite the contrary, in fact.

> We've
> lived with it as is for decades.

Indeed, and we ought to continue to live with it as it is: Where it's perfectly legal for me to disagree with you and call you an limey fuck who is woefully ignorant about American laws and engages in spineless appeals to authority. Much the same as it would be perfectly legal, even in the UK, to call me an imperialist American knobhead.

> The post that starts "Well thank fuck there aren't any jackbooted thugs like you in
> power gin the USA" is a perfect example of just why we must stay vigilant.

Vigilant about what? Vigilant about electing people like URherenow, who apparently wish to strip our constitutionally-protected rights that you unfortunately are not lucky enough to enjoy over in the UK?

> It's over
> the top, vile, and an overly extreme reaction.

You're well within your rights to say that. I'm well within my rights to disagree with you, but there we are.

> How strange and ironic it's used by
> someone claiming freedom of speech as being all important. Such vitriol does nothing
> but suppress freedom of speech by shouting the opponent down.

Bullshit. Bull-fucking-shit. You don't know a fucking thing about freedom of expression. Freedom of expression protects my constitutional right to shout even the most vile, hateful statements at URherenow, you, and anyone else that I choose. Freedom of expression, just as much, protects URherenow's right to claim that we should systematically strip people of their rights enshrined in the constitution. It protects your right to wrongly assert that expression itself suppresses other expression. Freedom of expression means that you are free to express yourself, it does not mean that you are free from the social consequences of said expression, and it does not mean that you are free from having your viewpoint questioned or criticized, whether civilly or not. It's people like you, in fact, who suppress freedom of expression, because you think that the founding fathers of the United States of America only wanted to protect expressions that we agree with, and not the expressions that we do not. This is factually incorrect.

> Clearly you're all for
> freedom of speech, as long as people agree with you, otherwise you'll explode in
> anger and turn everything up to 11.

And it is my right to do so. It is URherenow's right to respond in exactly the same way. In fact, it is you who seems to be under the impression that people like me should be banned for freely expressing ourselves. If someone explodes in anger and turns everything up to 11 because of something you said, then perhaps your expression is not popular, but it does not in any way impinge your right to engage in said expression.

> Shame on you.

Shame on you too, you ignorant, tea-sipping limey fuck. How dare you comport yourself as if you know a god damn thing about the legal system of the United States of America.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Move to WAR ROOM? Absolutely [nt] new [Re: AWJ]
#345062 - 09/13/15 02:50 PM

> Not sure if this is Bin material or War Room material...
>
>

I don't agree with you so I'm going to just say some cliché, blanket statement, that you're the worst whatever there ever was, even though I have 0% evidence to support it, sprinkled with a few expletives in a futile attempt to prop up my invalid arguments.

LEVEL-4

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

Re: Identity-stealing sockpuppet troll finally crosses line, gets just desserts new [Re: Vaughan]
#345063 - 09/13/15 02:56 PM

> The post that starts "Well thank fuck there aren't any jackbooted thugs like you in
> power gin the USA" is a perfect example of just why we must stay vigilant. It's over
> the top, vile, and an overly extreme reaction. How strange and ironic it's used by
> someone claiming freedom of speech as being all important. Such vitriol does nothing
> but suppress freedom of speech by shouting the opponent down. Clearly you're all for
> freedom of speech, as long as people agree with you, otherwise you'll explode in
> anger and turn everything up to 11. Shame on you.

What the fuck? I find the post MooglyGuy was responding to far more vile. It's the one that advocates stripping people of their rights for disagreeing with a position. MooglyGuy simply expresses his gratitude for the fact that such laws haven't (yet) been passed in the US. He doesn't advocate violence or claim that one shouldn't be able to advocate this position. He just, rather enthusiastically, expresses relief that this position is not law in the US.

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Send PM

Re: Identity-stealing sockpuppet troll finally crosses line, gets just desserts new [Re: URherenow]
#345064 - 09/13/15 03:15 PM

> Fucking Muslim extremists chanting on street corners of Miami about how they are
> going to kill all Americans and Christians? They should be allowed to do that? I say
> no. I say that should be a 1 way ticket to deportation and if they have a bank
> account that our government can access, then they will pay for their own damn ticket
> home, whether they want to or not.

You're making a sweeping assumption that the people spewing this "hate speech" are evil brown-skinned immigrants. What do you plan to do when they're US citizens, born on US soil to parents who are US citizens? Whose problem do you think they should be?

> Burning the flag is another thing that chaps my ass. Seriously, if you are against
> America, get the fuck out. I can't believe that there were laws and penalties put in
> place long ago for that crap, yet they are unenforceable since some bullshit judge
> decided it was a protected "freedom of speech" thing.

This is straight out of the totalitarian dictatorship playbook. If the state is above criticism they're free to abuse the people as they see fit. The state is made up of the people, and the government should exist to serve the people. You can love a country while hating things its government does or some of its people do. Freedom to express that is supposed to be a core value of "free countries".

URherenow
Send PM

#345066 - 09/13/15 04:44 PM

>
> You're making a sweeping assumption that the people spewing this "hate speech" are
> evil brown-skinned immigrants. What do you plan to do when they're US citizens, born
> on US soil to parents who are US citizens? Whose problem do you think they should be?
>
No, I was just citing a specific instance. A citizen doing such things should get an appropriate penalty/fine. And I don't give a shit about skin color. If you're not a citizen and you want to kill citizens, then you don't fucking belong here. PERIOD.

> This is straight out of the totalitarian dictatorship playbook. If the state is above
> criticism they're free to abuse the people as they see fit. The state is made up of
> the people, and the government should exist to serve the people. You can love a
> country while hating things its government does or some of its people do. Freedom to
> express that is supposed to be a core value of "free countries".

There are better and more productive ways to criticize the government. Burning the flag is disrespecting the whole damn country, and everything it represents. That's not simply stating a grievance against our government or leaders. Anybody who thinks so is a moron.

URherenow
Send PM

Re: Identity-stealing sockpuppet troll finally crosses line, gets just desserts new [Re: MooglyGuy]
#345067 - 09/13/15 05:02 PM

> who hates brown people, but I
> wouldn't in a million years suggest that there should be legislation preventing you
> from espousing your racist, neanderthal-class views.
>
What is racist about what I said? First off, you dumb shit, Muslim is not a race; it's a religion. It includes white, black, and all manner of people. And they're not all standing on street corners shouting about how they want to kill everybody. As I replied to Vas, I mentioned a specific instance. I have never once singled out an entire race/color or creed. I myself am a Heinz variety. 50% Hispanic, a bit of Indian, a bit more Italian, etc... I have black cousins. I serve with awesome people from all over the world, some of which are not even US citizens. It's actually impossible to call me a racist if you knew a damn thing about me.

I'm pretty sure you tried pulling the race card before when I talked some smack about Obama. What do you call the shitload of black people on youtube who talk smack about him too? If you want racist, take a look in the mirror. You try pulling that shit as much as Al Sharpton.

krick
Get Fuzzy
Reged: 02/09/04
Send PM

#345068 - 09/13/15 05:05 PM

> There are better and more productive ways to criticize the government. Burning the
> flag is disrespecting the whole damn country, and everything it represents. That's
> not simply stating a grievance against our government or leaders. Anybody who thinks
> so is a moron.

How does burning a piece of cloth disrespect a country and everything it represents? If you think so, then you've elevated the flag to the level of a religious idol, which is certainly not what our founding fathers intended.

GroovyMAME support forum on BYOAC

URherenow
Send PM

Re: Identity-stealing sockpuppet troll finally crosses line, gets just desserts new [Re: krick]
#345070 - 09/13/15 05:20 PM

>
> How does burning a piece of cloth disrespect a country and everything it represents?
> If you think so, then you've elevated the flag to the level of a religious idol,
> which is certainly not what our founding fathers intended.

How does burning the flag=speech? What point does it make that can't be better made by using a pen, keyboard, or simply opening up your pie hole?

It is the symbol of our country and many people have died protecting it. The idea of America may seem far from what the government seems to be doing at times, but go ahead and blame the government. Don't take it out on the ideas that you hold dear.

StilettoAdministrator
They're always after me Lucky ROMS!
Reged: 03/07/04
Send PM

As you wish.... *nt* new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#345071 - 09/13/15 05:37 PM

> > Not sure if this is Bin material or War Room material...
> >
> >
>
> I don't agree with you so I'm going to just say some cliché, blanket statement, that
> you're the worst whatever there ever was, even though I have 0% evidence to support
> it, sprinkled with a few expletives in a futile attempt to prop up my invalid
> arguments.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

#345072 - 09/13/15 05:40 PM

> What is racist about what I said?

Race, noun:
2. A group of people united or classified together on the basis of common history, nationality, or geographic distribution.
4. Humans considered as a group.
6. A distinguishing or characteristic quality

And if you insist on bringing up the first definition, "A group of people identified as distinct from other groups because of supposed physical or genetic traits shared by the group," then let's at least include the second part, "Most biologists and anthropologists do not recognize race as a biologically valid classification, in part because there is more genetic variation within groups than between them."

Moreover, let's not mince words: Who gives a fuck if some Muslim dude is screaming on the street corner about killing all Christians and white people? People stand on street corners all over the USA and scream all sorts of stupid shit. What makes a Muslim shouting some distasteful thing any more special than any other person of any other religion shouting a distasteful thing? 99.9999% of the people out there will recognize that person as an idiot and an object of derision. You're ascribing more power to words than they actually have, as if some married father of four is going to hear this bedraggled idiot on the street corner and go, "Yeah, you know what? That's a fantastic idea, let me go home and start a jihad."

The kinds of people who would actually take what some idiot on a street corner says to heart would certainly have succumbed to some other similarly idiotic screed at some point. That's the problem with mental illness. Except in this case, you seem to think that the solution is to start trudging down a slope so slippery it was sprayed with Astroglide, rather than realize that the real way to fight people actually paying any attention to these jackasses is by having a better mental health care system so that these crazies, and their followers, don't happen in the first place.

URherenow
Send PM

#345075 - 09/13/15 06:20 PM

> The kinds of people who would actually take what some idiot on a street corner says
> to heart would certainly have succumbed to some other similarly idiotic screed at
> some point. That's the problem with mental illness. Except in this case, you seem to
> think that the solution is to start trudging down a slope so slippery it was sprayed
> with Astroglide, rather than realize that the real way to fight people actually
> paying any attention to these jackasses is by having a better mental health care
> system so that these crazies, and their followers, don't happen in the first place.

The problem is that these jihadist types were raised on it. No amount of mental health treatment can change that. It's hard to take it simply as a madman shouting nonsense on a corner, when like people are actually bombing marathons, raping and massacring Christian groups, and so on and so forth. Whether or not the people making these speeches are the very same people acting on it, people ARE acting on it. This should not be protected speech, in my personal view. I must therefore concede that there really should be (albeit very specific) limitations to freedom of speech.

MooglyGuy
Renegade MAME Dev
Send PM

#345076 - 09/13/15 07:46 PM

> The problem is that these jihadist types were raised on it. No amount of mental
> health treatment can change that. It's hard to take it simply as a madman shouting
> nonsense on a corner, when like people are actually bombing marathons, raping and
> massacring Christian groups, and so on and so forth. Whether or not the people making
> these speeches are the very same people acting on it, people ARE acting on it. This
> should not be protected speech, in my personal view. I must therefore concede that
> there really should be (albeit very specific) limitations to freedom of speech.

You know what, I can actually agree that it's a very distasteful situation, with people being led to these attacks by folks espousing certain distasteful views.

I do want to point out, though, that the people who actually commit these crimes are an infinitesimally small proportion of the people who actually are exposed to these sorts of ideas. Your reaction is considering the precious few people who actually respond to this particular expression by these particularly mentally insane individuals, but is not taking into account the countless people who see said person and write him (correctly) off as a nutjob with nothing constructive to say. What you're essentially saying is that we should limit speech based on the extremely small (but very real) chance that someone will take these statements seriously and act on them.

The thing is, any person sufficiently mentally ill can be compelled to do any number of horrific things, specifically because he or she is not thinking on the same rational plane as the rest of us. Charles Manson compelled the fellow mentally ill into committing a murder spree, but in the 60's and 70's we were rational enough to recognize that this was simply an instance of insane people going off the rails. There are countless other examples of people espousing views that ultimately led to suicide and death, not the least of which would be the Heaven's Gate cult back in 1997.

Basically, what I'm saying is that crazy people are going to do crazy things regardless of what sort of laws you put into place in a failed attempt to prevent against these things. Yeah, I agree, it really sucks to hear jackasses standing on street corners claiming that we need to have some sort of revolution against white Christians. That's really fundamentally fucked up. But if you ban that particular form of speech, then those crazies are simply going to find some form of speech that isn't banned, and then you find yourself in some legal version of Whack-A-Mole, trying desperately to stamp out the speech you find distasteful while perpetually narrowing down the sort of expression that is approved by the general public.

We already have laws in place that ban expressions that could be considered to impel immediate lawless actions. I don't think that the rather few instances of people snapping and committing mass homicide should be used as a reason for suppressing speech any more than it already is by law. These people would have snapped regardless of what someone tells them, it was simply a matter of time. You appear to think that it was this person's specific diatribe that led them to committing the crimes that they did, and that's a valid interpretation of the events, but I choose to interpret it as meaning that that person would have used any sort of excuse, no matter how tenuous, as a reason to go off on a killing spree.

Ultimately, if you choose to ban a certain form of speech, people will simply find another form that is permissible according to the law, and you find yourself in exactly the same sort of situation. What we should be concentrating on are the circumstances that cause people to want to go and commit mass murder, not the tenuous link between some jackass on the street and a madman who actually takes it literally.

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Reged: 03/14/15
Loc: UK
Send PM

#345471 - 09/22/15 03:31 PM

People with a conviction that we might feel is repugnant are not "mentally insane" or necessarily a "nutjob". It's incorrect and misleading to use such terms.

Catholics have beliefs which, for me, makes them irrational if not plain silly. Some of their belief system is totally off the wall and stupid, you'd think mature adults would know better. Yet they're accepted. In other cultures, they might well be considered "nutjobs", it's all relative.

NRA members are, in my mind, as dangerous as these jihadists. To Americans they're MORE dangerous. I don't think they're insane, but I do think they're deluded. Most Americans would disagree with me.

Terms like "mentally insane" should be left to those with medical, and clinical diagnosis, not slapped as a label on people who do something we can't begin to understand, or happen not to agree with. To do so masks the reasoning, and will prevent us from ever getting to the heart of the issue.

As stated earlier, free speech is already limited. People can't do whatever they want, whenever they want - and when someone decides they can, bad things tend to happen to others.

There are limits though. Someone standing on the corner slamming on white Christians isn't a problem for me - and I don't think they should be prevented from doing it, unless they are inciting others to take physical action. Having said that, sometimes the law has to step in.

I'll give an example from the UK. There is a famous street in London called Brick Lane, and it is now mostly inhabited by Asian people, with a strong Muslim element. There is quite a bit of nightlife in and around Brick Lane.

Last year a group of Muslims decided they didn't like seeing women walk down Brick Lane in short skirts. So they gathered in a group, and would shout insults at women as they went by, or even bar their way and ask the women to explain why they were dressed as a whore/slut etc. Eventually, the law got involved.

So where's the free speech there? What should and shouldn't be allowed? Where does one person's free speech impede upon the rights of others? What weight do you give to harassment?

I don't think it's "fucked up" for someone to insult Christians. Christianity is but one religion. It's not special above any others. it's just more acceptable to Westerners.

As for the argument that we shouldn't have laws to deal with only a small number of people - I'm afraid that's the case the vast majority of time. Most laws exist to deal with a small percentage of the populace who find themselves in a specific situation. Usually because we need laws to ensure people don't do silly things. So I really don't see how that can be used as a rationale.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

bump..... new [Re: krick]
#351968 - 03/26/16 02:37 AM

> How does burning a piece of cloth disrespect a country and everything it represents? If you think so, then you've elevated the flag to the level of a religious idol, which is certainly not what our founding fathers intended.

Symbols are exactly that to the majority of people, in their tribal minds and hearts. As for the founding fathers thing, it doesn't matter what they thought or felt. What is sensible, given the range of the Cosmos? If you're gonna pull rabbits out of hats, you might as well go all the way.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Pages: 1

The only golf Trump gets in prison is a black 1-wood >> Welcome to the War Room
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Smitdogg 
0 registered and 77 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 6892