Pages: 1

what2be
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/25/04
Loc: Eureka, CA
Send PM

Crosshair defaults in mame are incorrect
#344619 - 08/31/15 11:14 PM

Not sure if anyone even cares, but it really sucks to have to go into every single gun game in mame and reverse the crosshair colors on a per game basis.

Someone can correct me if im wrong, but in every gun game (especially in 2 player gun games) P1 has a red status bar and P2 has a blue status bar but yet in mame the P1 crosshair is blue and the P2 crosshair is red so when you are shooting during the game its confusing when your crosshair is a differnt color on screen from the status bar in the game and its even more so when its a game that shows a "bullet mark" after every shot because then you have a red status bar, a blue crosshair and a red "bullet mark" shown on the screen after every shot. It gets very convoluted when 2 people are playing at the same time.

On my arcade cabinet, I have 2 aimtrak guns, a red one for P1 and a blue one for P2 so everything matches nicely except the crosshairs in mame. I know its not some major issue but it sure would be nice to either have this corrected in the code or maybe a global crosshair option instead of a per machine one?

Does anyone know if this is a easy fix to correct in the code or is this a known issue and just hasnt been addressed yet? Or am I just crazy?

uman
MAME Fan
Reged: 04/15/12
Send PM

Re: Crosshair defaults in mame are incorrect new [Re: what2be]
#344680 - 09/02/15 02:24 PM

Dude, why you dont simply change the names of the crosshair art in the crosshair folder? How about changing "mame-blue.png" into "mame-red.png" and vice versa .

problem solved, time to move on.

what2be
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Crosshair defaults in mame are incorrect new [Re: uman]
#344691 - 09/02/15 09:12 PM

> Dude, why you dont simply change the names of the crosshair art in the crosshair
> folder? How about changing "mame-blue.png" into "mame-red.png" and vice versa .
>
> problem solved, time to move on.

I tried your suggestion, but it didnt work. I deleted the existing cfg for a game that I had previously configured, eg, area51 and then renamed the mame-red to mame-blue and vice versa and ran the game but when the game started it had the crosshairs wrong so I hit tab and looked at the crosshair options and they were back to "Default".

The problem is that the "Default" crosshairs are built into mame, it has nothing to do with the crosshair.png images in the crosshair folder other than if you want a different style crosshair.

Sune
Connected
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: Lagoa Santa, Brasil
Send PM

#344704 - 09/03/15 03:54 AM

> The problem is that the "Default" crosshairs are built into mame, it has nothing to
> do with the crosshair.png images in the crosshair folder other than if you want a
> different style crosshair.

If you put an image of a purple crosshair in there and set mame to use it via mame.ini then it should stay purple. Are you saying that mame overrides the crosshair color?

S

what2be
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Crosshair defaults in mame are incorrect new [Re: Sune]
#344712 - 09/03/15 06:26 AM

Where in the mame.ini can you specify the crosshair .png file for P1 and P2? All I see is the path for the crosshair directory.

And yes, I have probably 20 different crosshairs in my crosshair directory and I can pick them from inside any game in mame via "Tab" "Crosshair options"

What im trying to say is even if you were to delete all the crosshair .png out of the crosshair directory you could still start mame and you would have the default blue and red crosshairs in the game.

Edited by what2be (09/03/15 06:33 AM)

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#345115 - 09/14/15 09:26 PM

> On my arcade cabinet, I have 2 aimtrak guns, a red one for P1 and a blue one for P2
> so everything matches nicely except the crosshairs in mame. I know its not some major
> issue but it sure would be nice to either have this corrected in the code or maybe a
> global crosshair option instead of a per machine one?

So flip your guns to color-match MAME.

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Re: Crosshair defaults in mame are incorrect new [Re: R. Belmont]
#345335 - 09/20/15 11:02 AM

> > On my arcade cabinet, I have 2 aimtrak guns, a red one for P1 and a blue one for P2
> > so everything matches nicely except the crosshairs in mame. I know its not some
> major
> > issue but it sure would be nice to either have this corrected in the code or maybe
> a
> > global crosshair option instead of a per machine one?
>
> So flip your guns to color-match MAME.

This person picky on the colors. Hell James Bond doesn't care about the colors matches or not. He just use the guns anyway.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Programming
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Pi 
0 registered and 54 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 4602