View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: California
Send PM

Spam that doesn't look like spam
#344125 - 08/17/15 08:16 AM Attachment: notspam.png 26 KB (2 downloads)

So for a few weeks now, I've been getting spam in my personal Outlook.com email, that doesn't "look like" spam. It doesn't go to Junk Mail. They're like subscription emails you get from other companies. But they are spam, because:

-- I never signed up or did an opt-in for this stuff
-- Each one is from a different sender, even when I view the header (far as I can tell, anyway).
-- But each one has the same similar "opt out" link. One says click here if you don't want emails from "this company." The other says click here if you don't want emails from "this sender."

The beginning of the two links is the same for every email, followed by whatever generated next 64 or whatever characters after the "php?" (See image).

I haven't clicked any of the unsubscribe links yet, for not wanting to verify that my email address is actually legit, and then possibly start receiving even more junk. Plus there's the fact that each unsubscribe link is different.

Kinda pissing me off, as I've been able to keep this email clean since the day I got it.

Anybody else seen stuff with this similar unsubscribe link? Google turns up pretty empty here, also.

[ATTACHED IMAGE]

Attachment

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

Pi
Allergic to life
Reged: 09/20/03
Loc: Room 101
Send PM

Re: Spam that doesn't look like spam new [Re: Mr. Do]
#344128 - 08/17/15 03:30 PM Attachment: [a Kurehito Misaki (c Cradle), Shinobu Kuroya (c Cradle)][s Touhou][w Touhou] 007.jpg 252 KB (0 downloads)

> Anybody else seen stuff with this similar unsubscribe link? Google turns up pretty
> empty here, also.

I have not received anything with this exact unsubscribe link, but I've seen dozens of examples in my mailboxes. Sooner or later the link will be detected by the spam filter, or the sender server's IPs banned by the not-very-permissive Microsoft blacklists. Until then, configure a custom filter to send mails with that link to go to the junk folder (I never used hotmail/outlook.com but I guess you can do that kind of stuff).

Since you're a veteran here, I know you're going to understand what I'm going to say. I'm suffering hallucinations. I see Sez and Pete posting around here...

[ATTACHED IMAGE - CLICK FOR FULL SIZE]

Attachment

Wound up, can't sleep, can't do anything right, little honey / Oh, since I set my eyes on you. / I tell you the truth.
I can't get it right / Get it right / Since I met you...

kastellorizo
Tehkan World Cup, Seafood, and Minisuka Fanatic
Reged: 12/29/06
Loc: Octopia (just beside the fish and chips shop outside the Atlantis capital)
Send PM

Re: Spam that doesn't look like spam new [Re: Pi]
#344132 - 08/17/15 08:20 PM

> > Anybody else seen stuff with this similar unsubscribe link? Google turns up pretty
> > empty here, also.
>
> I have not received anything with this exact unsubscribe link, but I've seen dozens
> of examples in my mailboxes. Sooner or later the link will be detected by the spam
> filter, or the sender server's IPs banned by the not-very-permissive Microsoft
> blacklists. Until then, configure a custom filter to send mails with that link to go
> to the junk folder (I never used hotmail/outlook.com but I guess you can do that kind
> of stuff).
>

> Since you're a veteran here, I know you're going to understand what I'm going to say.
> I'm suffering hallucinations. I see Sez and Pete posting around here...

Yeah right... what's next? Pictures of minisuka police video games???

Vanity is only for those who can afford it!

www.powerstrike.net

Mr. DoAdministrator
MAME Art Editor
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: California
Send PM

Re: Spam that doesn't look like spam new [Re: Pi]
#344153 - 08/18/15 03:20 PM

> > Anybody else seen stuff with this similar unsubscribe link? Google turns up pretty
> > empty here, also.
>
> I have not received anything with this exact unsubscribe link, but I've seen dozens
> of examples in my mailboxes. Sooner or later the link will be detected by the spam
> filter, or the sender server's IPs banned by the not-very-permissive Microsoft
> blacklists. Until then, configure a custom filter to send mails with that link to go
> to the junk folder (I never used hotmail/outlook.com but I guess you can do that kind
> of stuff).
>
> Since you're a veteran here, I know you're going to understand what I'm going to say.
> I'm suffering hallucinations. I see Sez and Pete posting around here...

That's one of the problems with with Outlook.com... you can only filter by subject or sender, not by message body.

So yeah, I guess I can filter using a desktop app, but web or phone... oh well. We'll see how long it lasts.

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 185 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1941