Pages: 1

Randim
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/16/15
Send PM

Alternative I-PAC 4 Usage
#344102 - 08/16/15 08:21 PM

Hi,

I want to make an interface for a computer synthesizer program (Fruity Loops). Regarding the I-PAC 4 interface:

- Do the inputs work exactly like computer keyboards for holding keys?
- Can one button/input be used for two or more keycodes ie. "ALT + TAB"
- I've read I need a PS/2 keyboard to "program" the keycodes? Can I just use USB

Thanks in advance

S2000
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/14/15
Send PM

Re: Alternative I-PAC 4 Usage new [Re: Randim]
#344133 - 08/17/15 08:45 PM

I like the way your thinking 'out of the box'.
Let me see if i can answer your questions.

It does work like a keyboard, if you mean holding as in repeat(typomatic), then yes , that's a windows function.

No, but then a keyboard doesn't do that. you can assign each to separate input. there is a 'macro' function but that's not quite the same thing.

USB works fine

Randim
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/16/15
Send PM

Re: Alternative I-PAC 4 Usage new [Re: S2000]
#344162 - 08/18/15 10:18 PM

Thanks for the quick and precise response S2000.

I looked up macros for my current keyboard. It doesn't look like it natively supports them:

a) What do you mean "you can assign each to separate input"? Does this mean I'd need three different buttons to perform "start recording" if the shortcut is "ctrl + t + r" for instance OR can one button be hooked to multiple inputs?

b) When you mentioned macros, does that mean if the interface I set my I-PAC 4 up with (my USB keyboard) has macro functionality that the button-assigned input could be associated with the macro? Does the I-PAC 4 pretend to be my keyboard for input? Does it just use it's codes to figure out how to talk to my computer? What if I change keyboards later?

I appreciate any help immensely

S2000
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/14/15
Send PM

Re: Alternative I-PAC 4 Usage new [Re: Randim]
#344207 - 08/19/15 05:46 PM

If to start recording is press all three buttons at the same time, then yes. the macro support in ipac is a simple sequential key sequence. There are more advanced macro programs that run on your computer that can do multi key, i think they call them splits. the macro support for ipac is in the winIPAC program.

Now the one button to multiple inputs, that a tricky one, remember you want to take an input to ground to close the switch, you don't want to have multiple inputs tied together. ie 3 inputs = 3 pole switch

Your last question suggests some confusion about the interface. The ipac is for all purposes a keyboard minus the keys. it has nothing to do with your regular usb keyboard. your building a separate keyswitch interface in addition to your keyboard, its just not defined like your keyboard.

Pages: 1

Frontend Tech + >> Ultimarc
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Andy Warne 
0 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 2996