MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

jopezu
bread-train
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: georgia
Send PM

aren't the genesis sonic games all about speed?
#343257 - 08/01/15 06:19 AM

has anyone ever actually played these games and tried to go fast? never having had a genesis, i always assumed that the sonic games were probably good, but now that i'm playing through them, they seem to all have crippling gameplay and level design that runs opposite the advertisements.

the only times there's any real sense of speed are the on-rails moments that automatically whip the player around. any attempt to do anything other than carefully and slowly proceed through these stages gets you killed.

=(

i learned everything i know from KC

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

You're doing it right. new [Re: jopezu]
#343261 - 08/01/15 08:29 AM

> has anyone ever actually played these games and tried to go fast? never having had a
> genesis, i always assumed that the sonic games were probably good, but now that i'm
> playing through them, they seem to all have crippling gameplay and level design that
> runs opposite the advertisements.
>
> the only times there's any real sense of speed are the on-rails moments that
> automatically whip the player around. any attempt to do anything other than carefully
> and slowly proceed through these stages gets you killed.
>
>
> =(

Well, unless you memorize every pixel of the game, which has certainly been done.
If you consider the character scale, Sonic is slower than Mario anyway.

Tomu Breidah
No Problems, Only Solutions
Reged: 08/14/04
Loc: Neither here, nor there.
Send PM

Re: You're doing it right. new [Re: TriggerFin]
#343266 - 08/01/15 03:41 PM

> Well, unless you memorize every pixel of the game, which has certainly been done.
> If you consider the character scale, Sonic is slower than Mario anyway.

LEVEL-4

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

Re: aren't the genesis sonic games all about speed? new [Re: jopezu]
#343268 - 08/01/15 04:10 PM

> has anyone ever actually played these games and tried to go fast? never having had a
> genesis, i always assumed that the sonic games were probably good, but now that i'm
> playing through them, they seem to all have crippling gameplay and level design that
> runs opposite the advertisements.
>
> the only times there's any real sense of speed are the on-rails moments that
> automatically whip the player around. any attempt to do anything other than carefully
> and slowly proceed through these stages gets you killed.
>
>
> =(

Yeah, the stage design for most of the stages is more of an obstacle course, rather than the 1st stages (some 'Greenish' color, Hill Zone) which seem to be more designed with speed in mind, letting the player flow through the stage.

1st stage: Hills, springboards, loop-d-loops, and ramps all the way to the goal.

2nd stage and up: get through this maze, or cluster of bumpers, or go through this cave, or find the button to open the door... and so on.

...Which, obviously, breaks up the monotony of breezing through a stage, (e.g.) adds variety. That isn't to say the other, less fluid levels can't be traversed in a way that is fast... Or, "fast" (I know, a relative term) in the sense that one player that doesn't know what they're doing might take a longer time than someone that knows a few tricks or shortcuts.

I recall watching a speed-run of Sonic 1, and noticed there was a couple times they went through some places/paths I (either) never knew about when I first had the game, or I had completely forgotten about.

Sonic games owned: 1, 2, 3, CD, 3D Blast (Saturn),... even Spinball.

^Those are official Sonic games, I've played a few other fan made games....

LEVEL-4

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

Re: You're doing it right. new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#343551 - 08/06/15 09:09 PM

LEVEL-4

TriggerFin
Gnu Truth
Loc: Stuck in a hole
Send PM

Re: You're doing it right. new [Re: Tomu Breidah]
#343554 - 08/06/15 09:58 PM

His first point, that he's actually only about half the stated height in that first game, would mean the distance traveled is halved, and so his speed is halved. So he promptly ignores it.

Applying it to the later games? No thanks, the claim was specifically made comparing the FIRST game to its contemporary Mario equivalent.

Final point? "He can go that fast, but chooses not to, ever." No, you can only establish his speed through demonstration of that speed.

mike20599
MAME Fan
Reged: 09/14/08
Send PM

But... Blast Processing! -NT- new [Re: jopezu]
#343574 - 08/07/15 05:59 AM

NT

Tomu Breidah
Send PM

Sonic does Speed, Mario does 'shrooms [nt] new [Re: jopezu]
#343578 - 08/07/15 07:41 AM

pick yer poison.

LEVEL-4

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> The Loony Bin
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 449 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1980