View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Solstar
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/08
Send PM

Does anybody has any info about these psx and snes arcade cabs
#342841 - 07/23/15 08:45 PM

here's the rundown:i remember i have played a snes version of tmnt tournament fighters back in the 90's at an arcade,so i suppose it was for the araades only,but years later i discovered it was only for the snes..

so maybe it was one of those snes bootleg,not yet mame-ized?

and more shockingly,i remember that i played rival schools(the first one)on the arcades as well..you may say"no big deal,it was released there first",but this version wasn't the one already running on mame,it was a "consolized" version that ran off a psx,complete with loading times and all that stuff.

it even had a main menu,that only let you scroll through "one player mode",and after isnerting a second coin,you could choose "two player mode".the "option" modes and various stuff were either greyed out or inaccessible.so basically it was a psx in a cab..sort of.any help on this one?

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

Re: Does anybody has any info about these psx and snes arcade cabs new [Re: Solstar]
#342853 - 07/24/15 12:41 AM

Such hacks were pretty common. There are a bunch of PC Engine and Dreamcast hacks to run console hardware in arcade cabinets, too. You'd really have to find one yourself and dump it if you want it in MAME.

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

Re: Does anybody has any info about these psx and snes arcade cabs new [Re: Solstar]
#342854 - 07/24/15 01:06 AM

> here's the rundown:i remember i have played a snes version of tmnt tournament
> fighters back in the 90's at an arcade,so i suppose it was for the araades only,but
> years later i discovered it was only for the snes..
>
> so maybe it was one of those snes bootleg,not yet mame-ized?

Back in 1995 or 96, one of the local arcade operators in town used to have modified SNES consoles with one of several games, including Toy Story. As far as I know they used custom hardware on top of the SNES itself, since this wasn't legit Nintendo SNES hardware like they used in their arcade cabs.

Solstar
MAME Fan
Reged: 08/29/08
Send PM

Re: Does anybody has any info about these psx and snes arcade cabs new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#342899 - 07/24/15 09:17 PM

> Such hacks were pretty common. There are a bunch of PC Engine and Dreamcast hacks to
> run console hardware in arcade cabinets, too. You'd really have to find one yourself
> and dump it if you want it in MAME.

well since they are basically the same stuff that plays ok in actual emus nowadays,i wouldn't see the point,it was more of a curiosity about such novelty,and since i just discovered that,as you said,they did the same with other consoles,the subject intrigues me even more

Vas Crabb
BOFH
Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Melbourne, Australia
Send PM

#342902 - 07/25/15 03:23 AM

> > Such hacks were pretty common. There are a bunch of PC Engine and Dreamcast hacks to
> > run console hardware in arcade cabinets, too. You'd really have to find one yourself
> > and dump it if you want it in MAME.
>
> well since they are basically the same stuff that plays ok in actual emus nowadays,i
> wouldn't see the point,it was more of a curiosity about such novelty,and since i just
> discovered that,as you said,they did the same with other consoles,the subject
> intrigues me even more

It would still be ideal to have them dumped documented. They're a special class of bootlegs. They often used consumer console hardware modified after market and hacked games. They're a piece of arcade history.

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Re: Does anybody has any info about these psx and snes arcade cabs new [Re: Foxhack]
#342905 - 07/25/15 03:51 AM

> > here's the rundown:i remember i have played a snes version of tmnt tournament
> > fighters back in the 90's at an arcade,so i suppose it was for the araades only,but
> > years later i discovered it was only for the snes..
> >
> > so maybe it was one of those snes bootleg,not yet mame-ized?
>
> Back in 1995 or 96, one of the local arcade operators in town used to have modified
> SNES consoles with one of several games, including Toy Story. As far as I know they
> used custom hardware on top of the SNES itself, since this wasn't legit Nintendo SNES
> hardware like they used in their arcade cabs.

I remember seeing Darius Twin bootlegged on a modified SNES arcade cab at a mexican food place. Pretty cool. I guest it is very easy to do. I think there is some info out there on how to do it.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

Dullaron
Diablo III - Dunard #1884
Reged: 07/22/05
Loc: Fort Worth, Tx
Send PM

Re: Does anybody has any info about these psx and snes arcade cabs new [Re: Vas Crabb]
#342906 - 07/25/15 03:53 AM

> There are a bunch of PC Engine and Dreamcast hacks to
> run console hardware in arcade cabinets, too. You'd really have to find one yourself
> and dump it if you want it in MAME.

I never seen those before.

W11 Home 64-bit + Nobara OS / AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT / AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core 3.59 GHz / RAM 64 GB

Foxhack
Furry guy
Reged: 01/30/04
Loc: Spicy Canada
Send PM

Re: Does anybody has any info about these psx and snes arcade cabs new [Re: Dullaron]
#342908 - 07/25/15 05:45 AM

> > > here's the rundown:i remember i have played a snes version of tmnt tournament
> > > fighters back in the 90's at an arcade,so i suppose it was for the araades
> only,but
> > > years later i discovered it was only for the snes..
> > >
> > > so maybe it was one of those snes bootleg,not yet mame-ized?
> >
> > Back in 1995 or 96, one of the local arcade operators in town used to have modified
> > SNES consoles with one of several games, including Toy Story. As far as I know they
> > used custom hardware on top of the SNES itself, since this wasn't legit Nintendo
> SNES
> > hardware like they used in their arcade cabs.
>
> I remember seeing Darius Twin bootlegged on a modified SNES arcade cab at a mexican
> food place. Pretty cool. I guest it is very easy to do. I think there is some info
> out there on how to do it.

The operator company still exists, believe it or not! They're located TWO BLOCKS away from my home. (They used to rent video tapes in the late 80s... I used to go there all the time.)

Now that I think about it, I wonder if they'd be interested in selling their old bootleg stuff or other games they no longer use. It might be worth looking into, for MAME purposes at least. I know next to nothing about arcade hardware, otherwise I'd go myself.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> EmuChat
View all threads Index   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Robbbert, Tafoid 
0 registered and 361 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1410