MAMEWorld >> MAME Artwork: Official
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Reged: 03/14/15
Loc: UK
Send PM

Pirate Ship Higemaru - Custom Bezel
#342396 - 07/12/15 06:23 PM

> I noticed that the method used was entirely different from my own, using a Mask. This
> required use of some tags: Alphafile among them. Seeing that work (I'm new to all
> this, and have only just figured out the LAY files - thanks Mr. Do for your site).
> The mask allows you to put a full image on the screen, and to lay the game over top.
> It looks great.
>
> My method has been different. I've been using a transparent region, essentially
> creating the custom bezel like a real one - in other words, there's a big empty hole
> where the "screen" goes.
>
> I'm not sure which is "right", or ultimately "better", or what people prefer. I did
> try a version of the Pirate Ship bezel using a Mask, and I tied myself in knots, so
> abandoned it.
>
> So, what's the downside to my method, as opposed to using a mask?

Post restored as possible by Mr. Do 7/19/2015

Comboman
Can't think of a good title
Reged: 12/30/12
Loc: Halifax, Canada
Send PM

Re: Pirate Ship Higemaru - Custom Bezel new [Re: Vaughan]
#342403 - 07/12/15 09:29 PM

> I noticed that the method used was entirely different from my own, using a Mask. This
> required use of some tags: Alphafile among them. Seeing that work (I'm new to all
> this, and have only just figured out the LAY files - thanks Mr. Do for your site).
> The mask allows you to put a full image on the screen, and to lay the game over top.
> It looks great.
>
> My method has been different. I've been using a transparent region, essentially
> creating the custom bezel like a real one - in other words, there's a big empty hole
> where the "screen" goes.
>
> I'm not sure which is "right", or ultimately "better", or what people prefer. I did
> try a version of the Pirate Ship bezel using a Mask, and I tied myself in knots, so
> abandoned it.
>
> So, what's the downside to my method, as opposed to using a mask?

There's no "right" way to do it. The beauty of the LAY file system is that it allows a lot of flexibility and multiple ways of doing the same thing. I think you'll find about 99% of bezels use transparent sections rather than the alphafile. I suppose the advantage of the alphafile is that you don't have to put a permanent "hole" in the bezel artwork so you can change things more easily latter.

Thanks for your contributions.

Vaughan
Wanna Bezel?
Reged: 03/14/15
Loc: UK
Send PM

Re: Pirate Ship Higemaru - Custom Bezel new [Re: Comboman]
#342407 - 07/13/15 12:25 AM

Thanks for replying, Comboman, much appreciated.

My contribution is minor, but if even one person uses one of the things I've put together, then it's worth it.

I'm interested in creating bezels for games that I enjoy that don't have anything yet. I've found Bezels to really enhance the fun. It's disappointing to come across a game that doesn't even have a "placeholder", as it were.

Moving on, thanks for addressing my question about masks. I think using a mask is actually the nicer option - since it's more flexible. On the other hand, I didn't find using one anywhere near as easy. I'm sure if I put some brain power into it I'd figure out what I was doing wrong. Trouble is, using a transparency is just far easier, so that's what works best for me.

Finally - thank you for your own efforts. It was by reading through LAY files created by yourself and Mr. Do that I grasped how they worked. So your work isn't useful simply for cosmetic reasons, but also for allowing others (in this case me, to have create some myself.

Edited by Vaughan (07/13/15 12:53 AM)

Big Karnak
Part-time Lurker
Reged: 05/22/13
Loc: Mount St. Lurkling
Send PM

Re: Pirate Ship Higemaru - Custom Bezel new [Re: Vaughan]
#342572 - 07/17/15 07:02 AM

Excellent. This game is a hidden gem. Nice work.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> MAME Artwork: Official
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  Mr. Do 
0 registered and 75 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 1824