MAMEWorld >> Hardware
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Pages: 1

Phreakwars
MAME Fan
Reged: 07/11/15
Send PM

Amp for new MAME project, and ? about frontends
#342349 - 07/11/15 05:06 AM

So I just purchased an Xtension Classic Arcade Cocktail Pro cabinet from recroommasters.com for my boy. I plan on picking up a 23" monitor and a refurb PC from newegg for it, but now I'm in the need of speakers and an amp. The speakers aren't much of a problem, by the looks of the images of it, I'll be able to screw in a couple of 5" speakers on either side. The trouble is finding an amp to run from the PC to power the speakers. I know I came across a PCB on one of the websites I researched that showed a cheap amp I could buy for it to power the speakers and I can't, for the life of me, remember which site I saw it on. Any help would be appreciated.

Also, I'm undecided about which frontend to use. I haven't built an arcade cabinet in years.. last one was like 10 years ago when I converted an old players-choice10 cabinet to a mame cabinet. Back then, the speaker issue was resolved by just mounting the speakers on top, and if I remember correctly, I just used the ArcadeOS interface with I believe windows 98.

I'm still in the planning phase with the Xtension Classic Arcade Cocktail Pro, since I just ordered it. I haven't ordered anything else, or committed to any other purchases until I have a more clear plan for the interface.

Should I maybe STILL go with Windows 98?? Don't really see any advantages to using XP or Windows 7 since I'm clearly gonna shell the OS for the frontend. I'm considering blowing the dust off the old windows 98 disc, because, for me anyway, it's easily the most fastest & hackable OS for an arcade machine... thoughts?? Suggestions??

bodger319
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/23/06
Send PM

Re: Amp for new MAME project, and ? about frontends new [Re: Phreakwars]
#342371 - 07/11/15 07:19 PM

For the speakers, why not just buy some powered speakers for the computer, dismantle the gubbins from the casings and use them ?
Then you have an amp aleady proven to work with those speakers.

Phreakwars
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Amp for new MAME project, and ? about frontends new [Re: bodger319]
#342374 - 07/11/15 09:32 PM

I thought of doing that too. I guess I'm open to the idea, but then I'm wondering which speakers to go with that are pretty easy to gut out. What I also thought of, was finding a pair of PC speakers, gutting out the amp inside, and connecting a couple of 5" speakers that way.

Traso
MAME Fan
Reged: 01/15/13
Send PM

#342602 - 07/17/15 09:04 PM

PC speakers are the easiest and cheapest route. Most people just rig a mounting for each PC speaker. My Excalibur cab came with a 2.1 set that had the wiring cute and they spliced in two five-inch speakers they mounted in the speaker holes, and mounted the PC satelites inside the cab.....kind ghetto, but it works. I recommend just doing what I first mentioned.

FE and OS: depends on what MAME version you're using. If after .106, yes at least go XP. If it'll have any kind of net access, you may want to go Win7. If using pre-.106, you could use 98, but it could end up being a headache with something later.

Scifi frauds. SF illuminates.

Culture General Contact Unit (Eccentric)

Phreakwars
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Amp for new MAME project, and ? about frontends new [Re: Traso]
#342620 - 07/18/15 02:00 AM

I actually asked this on a couple different forums.. Here is what I ended up going with..

This amp:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1HE2V64865

And these speakers:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA08C1KR4121

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

#342761 - 07/20/15 10:56 PM

yeah, but you have no sub, homie. Also, those speakers might fart out if you turn 'em up, cos the amp is an order of magnitude less in power.....

> I actually asked this on a couple different forums.. Here is what I ended up going with..

This amp: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1HE2V64865

And these speakers: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA08C1KR4121

COXXON
MAME rookie
Reged: 02/08/16
Loc: PA
Send PM

#350287 - 02/15/16 03:21 AM

I did something similar. I got a cheap ($13) amp from ebay (LVPIN) with separate bass channel, 3 way car speakers from newegg ($16), and an 8 inch woofer from amazon ($9) that I mounted on a shelf near the bottom of the cab.

My cab was an 90's konami that had one speaker but a cutout for a second blanked off. Car 6x9s fit perfect, and now it's stereo.

I thought that a system that i pieced together myself would be better than PC speakers I could buy for the same price point and be easier to install the components vs tearing apart the PC speakers or adapting them in.

Just fired it up yesterday and it sounds great. Only issue is the bass on the amp is touchy to adjust so that it doesn't distort.

Any word on frontends? I'm still looking. There has to be over 30 out there, many not supported anymore. I'm doing a vertical build with Windows 7.

R. Belmont
Cuckoo for IGAvania
Reged: 09/21/03
Loc: ECV-197 The Orville
Send PM

#350320 - 02/16/16 05:40 PM

For OS, current MAME basically is a "Vista or later" proposition; it runs on XP, but roughly the same way a sumo wrestler runs. It definitely won't run on 95/98/ME. A 64-bit OS is essentially a de facto requirement as well; it may become a *true* requirement by the end of this year the way things are going. 64-bit Win 7 Home edition is a good, relatively cheap, solid way to go that gets you some future-proofing.

Traso
MAME Fan
Send PM

Re: Amp for new MAME project, and ? about frontends new [Re: COXXON]
#350434 - 02/20/16 08:42 PM

> Any word on frontends? I'm still looking. There has to be over 30 out there, many not supported anymore. I'm doing a vertical build with Windows 7.

GameEx probably has the most bling and all. I still use Mala, but there are some new ones, like FEEL that have got my attention, just not given my attention.....

B2K24
MAME @ 15 kHz Sony Trinitron CRT user
Reged: 10/25/10
Send PM

Re: Amp for new MAME project, and ? about frontends new [Re: COXXON]
#350448 - 02/21/16 01:11 AM

> Any word on frontends? I'm still looking. There has to be over 30 out there, many not
> supported anymore. I'm doing a vertical build with Windows 7.

One option is to hook MAME into PinballX
http://www.pinballx.net/

It has a game list manager that allows you to easily create what you want shown.

I don't exclusively use this Front-End, but it's really cool to mess around with when you want to play some vertical action.

PBX is designed to run with a vertical display, but it supports desktop as well.

Pages: 1

MAMEWorld >> Hardware
Previous thread Previous  View all threads Index   Next thread Next   Threaded Mode Threaded  

Extra information Permissions
Moderator:  GatKong 
0 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.
You cannot start new topics
You cannot reply to topics
HTML is enabled
UBBCode is enabled
Thread views: 3027